Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
Senior Member
vk4akp's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ipswich / Qld / Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 133
Info on the new DA L Lens's ¿?

Hi anyone know any info or links for the new DA L lens's ?

I believe there is at least a 18-55 and a 55-300mm model known to exist so far.

If you look on the pentax site the K-x actually has a DA L 18-55 mounted on it.

.-.-.


Last edited by vk4akp; 09-20-2009 at 07:16 PM.
09-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,888
The "L" series are optically similar to the other non-L "first generation" version except that it has a plastic mount and also does not come with a lens hood.

The WR version is probably the best, then the "II" version, then first generation, then L version.
09-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
Senior Member
vk4akp's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ipswich / Qld / Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 133
Original Poster
Plastic mount? As in the Alloy K mount ring? R U serious? Surely this would wear very fast?

I was thinking of getting a K-x just for the HD video feature.

Also I had heard that there would be a twin lens kit deal which included a DA L 18-55 & 55-300 Lens.

I've been after a DA 55-300 for some time now but the prices have been crazy.
I had hoped it would be a good way to save a few $$$'s and get the new camera and 55-300 at the same time.

However I'm not real fussed on a plastic mount. And I'm surprised that such a cheap item as the lens hood would be left out.

Oh well. Hopefully will see some links for these items on the Pentax site soon.

Or maybe in the Lens data base here on Pentax Forums.

.-.-.

Last edited by vk4akp; 09-20-2009 at 07:16 PM.
09-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
emr
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
The WR version is probably the best, then the "II" version...
These two are actually said to be optically identical differing only in WR.

09-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,888
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
These two are actually said to be optically identical differing only in WR.
emr, thanks for the correction; I think you are right... I was thinking of price wise.
09-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
DAZ
Veteran Member
DAZ's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everett, WA USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 707
QuoteOriginally posted by vk4akp Quote
Plastic mount? As in the Alloy K mount ring? R U serious? Surely this would wear very fast?
A lot of “kit” lenses on other brands are plastic for the bayonet part of the mount not the ring in the camera. One of the things that the Pentax 18-55 kit had above some other kit lenses was that it used a metal mount. A lot of the less expensive lenses, should we say, have used a plastic mount. Yes plastic can were faster but many of these lenses will last for many years for most people. A metal mount is one of the things you get when you pay more but it can also add some weight. In the case of the “L” lenses it is to save some weight with some cost.

DAZ
09-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Senior Member
vk4akp's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ipswich / Qld / Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 133
Original Poster
OK Interesting.

I wonder how tough the ring is?

Perhaps there is a special hardened plastic or carbon type substance they have used?

Oh well. Either way I'll be waiting for the first K-x twin lens kit to go on sale here in Australia.

However I'll also be looking to get a 18-55 WR Len's for my K200D so I can at least go out in lite drizzle to take shots with out being too concerned.

It's a shame the WR lens's weren't available back when the K200D was being sold.

Now that would have been a nice Kit combo.

Oh well I'm still hoping to see a K-x+ as a K200D replacement with weather sealing, pentamirror, and LCD.

.-.-.
09-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member
robjmitchell's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne Aus
Posts: 1,144
There is now three Da-L lenses, 18-55,50-200 and new 55-300. They don't have quick shift either. I'm hoping they now bring out a WR version of the 55-300 too!

09-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
DAZ
Veteran Member
DAZ's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everett, WA USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 707
QuoteOriginally posted by vk4akp Quote
OK Interesting.

I wonder how tough the ring is?

Perhaps there is a special hardened plastic or carbon type substance they have used?

Oh well. Either way I'll be waiting for the first K-x twin lens kit to go on sale here in Australia.

However I'll also be looking to get a 18-55 WR Len's for my K200D so I can at least go out in lite drizzle to take shots with out being too concerned.

It's a shame the WR lens's weren't available back when the K200D was being sold.

Now that would have been a nice Kit combo.

Oh well I'm still hoping to see a K-x+ as a K200D replacement with weather sealing, pentamirror, and LCD.

.-.-.
I will not say that in this case that plastic is tougher then metal although sometimes I think it is. I have used some lenses with plastic mounts over the years but most of the lenses I use now are metal mounts. This has more to do with me upgrading to better (and more expensive) lenses then the plastic mount wearing out. I have one that I am still using now after 9+ years. For what I use it for it is OK and I just have not (yet) seen a lens that I want to replace it with. I suspect that most will out grow or get board with a lens before they wear out the plastic mount. If you drop it and break it then it may actually be better. If you drop the camera and lens hard enough to break the plastic mount, if the mount had not gone then some other more expensive part of the camera or lens to repair may have broken. There is always a weakest link.

I think it was because some complained that there was not an inexpensive WR lens for the K200D that Pentax made the 18-55 WR. So you get what you wanted just not as soon as you wanted it.

What I think is interesting is that some camera manufacture is making 3 versions of the same lens so that the consumers can make the chose of what they want to trade off not some bean counter.

DAZ
09-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
Nubi
Guest




"L" means lots of colors. I just wanted to make sure that you guys know that. I was told of that yesterday as soon as I went through the custom at Narita International Airport in Japan.
09-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member
omega leader's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 417
Remember the target audience

The "L" series lenses are for your walmart mom/pop users who are unlikely to buy a second lens, so the durability is irrelevant. This group won't be taking the lens off the body.

The second group are people who buy one other "zoom", and price is the most important thing to these people, and this make it more competitive vs the 70-300 Tamron and Sigma zooms.


People who own a pile of lenses are NOT the target audience for these "L" lenses, and that means most members of this forum.
09-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #12
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,888
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
There is now three Da-L lenses, 18-55,50-200 and new 55-300. They don't have quick shift either. I'm hoping they now bring out a WR version of the 55-300 too!
Yes, I forgot to mention about the lack of quick shift focus adjustment either on the L lens. To those who are already used to DA lens, this is a feature that they are used to on DA lens.

The kit lens bundle with the K-7 is I think, the WR version.
09-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Prague
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,198
I'm not sure how much should a kit lens be built to last. It should be built to last until the user gets himself a better lens. In my case that was roughly one year. If th ekit lens on my K10D would have been plastic, no hurt.
I would probably mind back then, but soon I realized I'm not using the lens anymore and for sitting in the shelf it could be all plastic.
On Canon I also have kit lenses with plastic mounts. They are not much used either, but didn't break down over the years.
09-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #14
Senior Member
vk4akp's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ipswich / Qld / Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 133
Original Poster
No quick shift focus == * No Sale! * :(

No quick shift focus? Are you kidding? OMG.

Well that's it for me I'm afraid.

I keep looking at the K-x as an upgrade option to my K200D and I keep finding myself saying, `Well that's disappointing but I guess I can live without it!'.

- No weather proofing. Ho hum OK.
- No Pentamirror, Well OK.
- No LCD. Err spose.
- No alloy mount plate on the lens's, Ick! Err. OK I guess.

- But no quick shift focus, Err. Nah Sorry * NO SALE PENTAX * !!!

I'm afraid that's it for me.

I was looking at a K-x twin lens kit as a temporary fillin upgrade for my K200D, but now I'm back to waiting for a complete upgraded (K300D) replacement I guess.


Pentax what are you doing!

.-.-.
09-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,452
QuoteOriginally posted by vk4akp Quote
No quick shift focus? Are you kidding? OMG.

Well that's it for me I'm afraid.

I keep looking at the K-x as an upgrade option to my K200D and I keep finding myself saying, `Well that's disappointing but I guess I can live without it!'.

- No weather proofing. Ho hum OK.
- No Pentamirror, Well OK.
- No LCD. Err spose.
- No alloy mount plate on the lens's, Ick! Err. OK I guess.

- But no quick shift focus, Err. Nah Sorry * NO SALE PENTAX * !!!

I'm afraid that's it for me.

I was looking at a K-x twin lens kit as a temporary fillin upgrade for my K200D, but now I'm back to waiting for a complete upgraded (K300D) replacement I guess.


Pentax what are you doing!

.-.-.
Why not just keep the kit lens from your K200D and resell the DA-L lens?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da, info, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any info on this lens orcace Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 09-11-2010 09:40 PM
Need info on lens photolady95 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 05-20-2009 11:14 PM
Lens info Fl_Gulfer Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 06-17-2008 02:59 PM
Lens info for new member CyrilDavis Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 05-14-2008 12:56 PM
Info about lens Mikhail Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 0 05-12-2008 05:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:58 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top