Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Wolf/Ritz to possibly carry Pentax again!

I picked up a reflector kit from my local Ritz/Wolf camera store and happened to find a Pentax shooting employee. He said that since the bankruptcy is over and Mr. Ritz bought the company back they are currently in negotiations with Pentax again. He said that they are hoping to get something solid before the holiday season so that they don't lose out on the Christmas sales.

Even though I buy from Adorama and B&H, I have to say that if Pentax does get back into Wolf/Ritz it might help thier exposure to the public(no pun intended ). I know for one I would like to go to a Wolf/Ritz and handle a new Pentax product before buying it online.

This is just from an employee, but maybe there is someone else that can help me colaborate this rumor with evidence/other sources point to the same thing.

09-25-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

How many Ritz/wolf stores are even left? None here anymore. The one thing I know is whatever agreement they come to it won't involve much extended inventory credit on the part of Pentax. Maybe Ritz could get some preferred pricing on a bulk inventory purchase initially for their stores.

BTW great bag choice, love mine. I think if I tried the top section might fit a kitchen sink, haha. That thing is a cavern!
09-25-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Pentax and Ritz/Wolf

Interesting. OTOH, there are no Ritz cameras left near me, so it doesn't really matter.

If Ritz does start stocking Pentax again, it will be doubly interesting, because I read a rumor somewhere that Mr. Ritz was at least partly financed in his buyback, by none other than Nikon USA. Apparently, Nikon decided that the only way to get any part of the $26M that Ritz owed them, was to help re-float the company and take part ownership.

Someone suggested that the $26m amounted to about 20-25 percent of Nikon USA's annual revenues. That's gotta hurt the bottom line. That's probably enough to cause Nikon to have an unprofitable year. I wonder if they will rethink their policy on trade credit.

I also wonder if Ritz is going to expect Pentax to do as Nikon did, and essentially give them cameras on consignment. I doubt if Pentax will do that, especially for Ritz.
09-25-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I hope they'll have the entire Pentax line in their stores, even if their products are for display only and must be special ordered.

09-25-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Banned

I only buy cameras, lenses etc online from dealers that have free shipping and no NJ sales tax. I purchased my first SLR (Canon Pellix QL w/58mm F1.2) in 1966 from a Hong Kong camera dealer when I was stationed in Alaska with the US Army and then in 1974 the Pentax 6x7 system from another Pentax dealer in Hong Kong.
09-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_XTC Quote

I know for one I would like to go to a Wolf/Ritz and handle a new Pentax product before buying it online.
With that attitude, it is not surprising that you can't find Pentax in brick and mortar stores anymore, and said stores going belly up. If I had a store, and I knew you wouldn't buy from me, but just wanted to try the goods, I would tell you to get lost. Nothing personal, just my point of view.
09-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #7

Even though I buy from Adorama and B&H, I have to say that if Pentax does get back into Wolf/Ritz it might help thier exposure to the public(no pun intended ). I know for one I would like to go to a Wolf/Ritz and handle a new Pentax product before buying it online.
Sure everybody carry Pentax cameras so cheap@ss Pentaxcustomers can handle them before they buy online.

That is such pathetic reasoning I cannot believe you actually put that in print here. I have put my foot in my mouth on a few occasions so I am not perfect; I just wonder about some peoples attitude toward retail when they don't carry Pentax products. You are the perfect excuse for Pentax retreat whereas I buy from brick and mortar stores and pay more on most purchases. (New Kx shortly local store)

09-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by equinox Quote
I buy from brick and mortar stores and pay more on most purchases
If B&H and Adorama can compete from NYC where retail space and labor isn't cheap, then anyone can.

Thank you
Russell
09-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What Wolf (and the small amount of other brick and morter stores around here) fail to realize is that their prices must be competetive. Of course I would rather go to a store and buy what I want, not have to wait for shipping, and try it out in the store. They didn't sell Pentax because they never tried to sell Pentax. There's a big difference between having something in stock and actually selling it.

The guy that's in charge of the counter at my local Wolf is a Pentax shooter (*ist DL and K10d.) I love the guy and he does a good job, but Wolf has to lower its prices. Bottom line. If I wanted to pay MSRP, I'd order directly from Pentax.
09-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
With that attitude, it is not surprising that you can't find Pentax in brick and mortar stores anymore, and said stores going belly up. If I had a store, and I knew you wouldn't buy from me, but just wanted to try the goods, I would tell you to get lost. Nothing personal, just my point of view.
QuoteOriginally posted by equinox Quote
Sure everybody carry Pentax cameras so cheap@ss Pentaxcustomers can handle them before they buy online.

That is such pathetic reasoning I cannot believe you actually put that in print here. I have put my foot in my mouth on a few occasions so I am not perfect; I just wonder about some peoples attitude toward retail when they don't carry Pentax products. You are the perfect excuse for Pentax retreat whereas I buy from brick and mortar stores and pay more on most purchases. (New Kx shortly local store)
Ahh...beat me to it
QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
What Wolf (and the small amount of other brick and morter stores around here) fail to realize is that their prices must be competetive. Of course I would rather go to a store and buy what I want, not have to wait for shipping, and try it out in the store. They didn't sell Pentax because they never tried to sell Pentax. There's a big difference between having something in stock and actually selling it.

The guy that's in charge of the counter at my local Wolf is a Pentax shooter (*ist DL and K10d.) I love the guy and he does a good job, but Wolf has to lower its prices. Bottom line. If I wanted to pay MSRP, I'd order directly from Pentax.
Competitive pricing is what all physical locations need to stay in business, especially these days of Amazon, B&H, etc.
09-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I know for one I would like to go to a Wolf/Ritz and handle a new Pentax product before buying it online.

Hmm, I wonder why they and many independent camera stores are going bankrupt / out of business...?

edit: you all beat me to it as well.
09-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
If B&H and Adorama can compete from NYC where retail space and labor isn't cheap, then anyone can.

Thank you
Russell
your assuming of course that Pentax and the other camera manufactures are providing a level playing field. I would suspect that they do not offer the same pricing for all dealers and that high volume dealers get volume pricing and local dealers get shafted.

The little guy has a hard time competing when they have to buy their stock at a higher price than the B&H, Adoramas of the world sell it for...
09-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote

Agreed, but these stores and their ilk's business model is formulated on selling at MSRP, so if they can't sell a product in sufficient volumes they pull the SKU's from their inventory.

THe other side of that coin is the old days of camera sales and the whole US warranty BS. They used that "tool" to scare people into paying MSRP at authorized dealers, thankfully those days are seemingly getting smaller and smaller in the rear view mirror. Price fixing is still an option however though MAP (minnimum advertised price) and other more aggressive price control options since a very troubling Supreme court decision...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/business/28cnd-bizcourt.html
09-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if this ideas has been suggested or tried...

The local camera store would offer the similar prices to online, but the store would have to order it for the customer instead of selling the one off the shelf. No shipping cost, but pay sales tax and customer pays for it before it's ordered. So the customer has to wait just as if ordered online, but gains benefit of having someone show them the product before ordering. However, offer to sell items off-the-shelf for extra if the customer has to have it NOW! That way the store can show that same camera to the next guy instead of waiting for another one to arrive. That also keeps inventory costs way down and helps keep things available for pros who need something that day for a last minute job that pops up.
09-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BB_Zone28 Quote
I wonder if this ideas has been suggested or tried...

The local camera store would offer the similar prices to online, but the store would have to order it for the customer instead of selling the one off the shelf. No shipping cost, but pay sales tax and customer pays for it before it's ordered. So the customer has to wait just as if ordered online, but gains benefit of having someone show them the product before ordering. However, offer to sell items off-the-shelf for extra if the customer has to have it NOW! That way the store can show that same camera to the next guy instead of waiting for another one to arrive. That also keeps inventory costs way down and helps keep things available for pros who need something that day for a last minute job that pops up.
There have been some rumors about this becoming the new way to buy cars.

I wouldn't disagree with the logic.