Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #16
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice but in many ways not surprising. There's not much that can top this camera for landscape work. Clearly she has either a decent understanding of the format or good advice. Given the career, I'd say a little of both. If you want to produce nice black and white shots, this camera will smoke a digital camera (any brand any size) and probably will for years to come. For colour landscape and slow speed work, few cameras can match it once enlarged.

I wonder what the tape on the prism is for?

10-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the link.

I looked into some older articles about her work :

“it’s a seemingly idyllic life, but one thing still frustrates her: missing out on capturing an image on her camera.
It’s usually some emotion that just happens right in front of me and I want to keep that emotion forever. If I have a camera. If I don’t have a camera I beat myself up for weeks and weeks about how I missed it.

I’m the ultimate hippy photographer. I hate digital photography, I hate its perfection because it removes so much of the atmosphere.
Not shooting digital doesn’t always make me popular, because clients want to see images immediately.
I like to wait to see what comes through the magic of processing. My favorite camera is about to become obsolete. I love my Konica Instant Press. I use Polaroid 655 film as it comes with a negative.
Polaroid images are very special. They have a three-dimensional feel to them. Unfortunately, this type of film is no longer being produced. It’s such a shame. Other than that I use my Pentax 4x5 and a Leica M6.
I actually have one digital camera, a Canon Ixus 65.
I find camera phones are incredible useful too. I have a Sony Ericsson and a Nokia.

(She does seem to also now have regular DSLR, for casual shooting)
Helena Christensen goes behind the lens | Mail Online

“The show has a quiet power and meditative quality about it.
I cannot meditate or do anything of that sense with myself, but it’s nice to know I’m doing it with my work. I really find it peaceful to take photographs, but there is no way I can just sit down and zone myself out.

Is your brain always hyperactive?
Totally. My body might not be, but my brain is. It’s pretty hectic in there.”

“What else inspires you?
I really love spaces. I love lines and texture. If you saw my apartment, you would also understand, in a way. There’s a lot going on. I think that the photography is a little oasis of calm in the midst of all the chaos.

What’s your apartment like?
I collect. I’m always finding little pieces. I have a job that, for many years, I did nothing but travel, and I would just pick up objects along the way. I’m very, very attracted to curious objects. Textures, colors. Things that make you wonder why you like them, and make you want to analyze. I have a lot of strange objects, but at the end of the day, all of them together make me feel very happy. The way that they’re all working together is very harmonious to me, and I really feel like I’m at home in the midst of my objects. Everything I look at makes me happy. There are a lot of things that get thrown at us during the day that makes us feel pretty damn depressed. The media, newspapers ...

“What motivated you to take pictures in the first place?
I was just shooting like everyone else does. When I started traveling a lot with my work, it became really interesting because I would go to places all over the world and just wanted to capture visually where life took me. It was very hectic for a long time, and this was my way of stopping moments, and freezing seconds for later on. I’m very fascinated by the whole technical side behind photography where you can freeze one moment and put it down in a flat piece of paper and keep it forever. That’s why photography is more inspiring to me than moving images. I’ve never actually picked up a video camera and filmed anything.

“What do you shoot with?
I think there are seven or eight different methods in here alone. Polaroid camera, Pentax, Lyca, my mobile phone, and Holga.
Model Art: Helena Christensen Paints a Pretty Picture - BlackBook

It’s very important that my mobile phone also double up as a great camera, that way I always have my camera on hand to capture images at any moment. That’s what a big part of photography is about.” Christensen shared her images exclusively at the Memoir unveil event this evening in Barcelona.
Samsung announces 'Memoir,' an 8mp camera phone | Ask the Photographer

''It's the blurriness and imperfection that I love,'' she explained. ''And that strange feeling that the light can create.''
PDNPulse: Does the World Really Need an 8MP Camera Phone?
10-05-2009, 05:54 AM   #18
Banned

wait a minute. that 67 didn't have a metered prism did it? the shutter speed dial is on the right side of the body, not the left (or did that change with the 67?) otherwise we would be able to clearly see the coupling on the meter to the shutter speed dial. that photo shows a non metered 67 as far as I can tell. so where is her light meter? cute woman, and clearly shows that the 6x7, 67 body style isn't as unwieldy as everyone always says. if a supermodel with dainty little arms can handle it, than so can everyone else.
10-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
wait a minute. that 67 didn't have a metered prism did it? the shutter speed dial is on the right side of the body, not the left (or did that change with the 67?) otherwise we would be able to clearly see the coupling on the meter to the shutter speed dial. that photo shows a non metered 67 as far as I can tell. so where is her light meter? cute woman, and clearly shows that the 6x7, 67 body style isn't as unwieldy as everyone always says. if a supermodel with dainty little arms can handle it, than so can everyone else.
in this article

She states :
"I don’t have a lot of technical knowledge, but I have a natural instinct for what works.
Other photographers stick up light meters everywhere to measure light, whereas I just stick up my hand to see how the light looks against it"

10-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Did anyone else see all the sensor dust on the image!!!
10-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
in this article

She states :
"I don’t have a lot of technical knowledge, but I have a natural instinct for what works.
Other photographers stick up light meters everywhere to measure light, whereas I just stick up my hand to see how the light looks against it"
I admit, I didnt read the article. thanks for pointing that out. thats actually quite interesting. but I wonder how she equates what she sees to a certain shutter speed?
10-06-2009, 12:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I admit, I didnt read the article. thanks for pointing that out. thats actually quite interesting. but I wonder how she equates what she sees to a certain shutter speed?
She's a SUPERMODEL. Perfect exposure is obviously one of her SUPERPOWERS.

<Insert the superman theme song here>