Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2009, 10:55 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
It certainly seems to appeal to those living closer to the arctic circle. I guess its the first time anyone specifically planned for a camera to work in sub-zero temperatures. Very thoughtful of Pentax.

Its a shame the new button layout isnt very glove friendly ....
Steve, I found the Lowepro gloves to be gloves you want when taking picture.
I was very surprised, just as if they were no gloves at all. At least, that's my experience.

09-30-2009, 12:53 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I was very surprised, just as if they were no gloves at all. At least, that's my experience.
Little bit offtopic. Are these Lowepro gloves suitable for temperatures like -10C or -20C? From photo on Lowepro website they looks very thin and more suitable for temperatures around 0C
09-30-2009, 01:45 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Yep, more like 0C. But very very useful, still.
09-30-2009, 03:17 AM   #19

Its a shame the new button layout isnt very glove friendly ....
I've had a hot long evening fiddling with a friends K-7

Judging from that experiense, I would say that it seemed better suited for using gloves than K10/20. Mainly because of the new texture on the buttons, but also because the buttons feels much more responsive than the buttons on K10/20.

But I didn't try gloves. So now I'm curious, why do you say it isn't very gloves friendly?

09-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
Yep, more like 0C. But very very useful, still.
Tnx for your answer
09-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
I've had a hot long evening fiddling with a friends K-7

Judging from that experiense, I would say that it seemed better suited for using gloves than K10/20. Mainly because of the new texture on the buttons, but also because the buttons feels much more responsive than the buttons on K10/20.

But I didn't try gloves. So now I'm curious, why do you say it isn't very gloves friendly?
I tried adjusting the focus points with gloves on on a tripod at night. Because you have to press the middle button, its really difficult. Also, many buttons on the back are very close together. I kept pressing live view as well.

Its partly a result of the size, but the Kx0 with the Fn button had some advantages and the 4 way was easier to use. On the other hand, the green button and AE lock were impossible to find with gloves on. Thats a small improvement. AE+/- button is easier too.
09-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tip

Will try a pair. I use gloves with exposed fingertips but they are no use in really cold weather....

09-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Will try a pair. I use gloves with exposed fingertips but they are no use in really cold weather....
You will ove those. Not very thick, clearly but I use my camera as if there was no glove at all.
09-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #24
Dan
Pentaxian

More from the Norwegian K-7 review...

Wow. I just read the review, and it is one of the most positive reviews I have seen in a long while. Some highlights (as translated by me):
  • "a camera housing so robust it can accompany you into combat"
  • "Pentax has created a formidable camera with the K-7."
  • "None of the competitors have anything with comparable robustness, weather sealing, picture quality and functionality in so compact an SLR in this price class."
  • "you can't get a better camera for the money than the Pentax K-7."
The review complains about imprecise white balance, complex menus, no AF in video mode, and noticeable noise above ISO 2000. (They do say that it has extremely low noise up to ISO 1600.) Apparently the reviewer finds these complaints to be minor in relation to the camera's many strengths, particularly in comparison with other cameras in its price class.

Dan
09-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #25
Forum Member

That is the same story here in Atlanta. If we get a forcast of below 35F and rain. Folks are off to the store for milk eggs and beer !
I was raised in the Illinois and loved snow until my Dad showed me how to shovel it.
I wish I had taken pictures when I was younger (before global warming) to show my children and grandchildren !
10-01-2009, 06:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dsodko Quote
That is the same story here in Atlanta. If we get a forcast of below 35F and rain. Folks are off to the store for milk eggs and beer !
I was raised in the Illinois and loved snow until my Dad showed me how to shovel it.
I wish I had taken pictures when I was younger (before global warming) to show my children and grandchildren !
Were there a large number of British settlers in Atlanta by any chance?

Have been a few times. Nice place, very friendly, great blues. Spent a few happy nights getting sloshed in Blind Willies but I was on the 32nd floor of the Marriot Marquis and I dont recommend the lift with a hangover....
10-01-2009, 07:19 AM   #27

I tried adjusting the focus points with gloves on on a tripod at night. Because you have to press the middle button, its really difficult. Also, many buttons on the back are very close together. I kept pressing live view as well.
Thank you Steve
10-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #28

I live in Minnesota and its cold here... just adusting to the winter were the avrage temp is 0 F.. its 50 now. I could use the K7 when I take pictures of blizzerds at -20F. I did last winter with my nikon D40 and had the shortest battery life imaginable. I was woried about breaking it but it still works
10-02-2009, 07:06 AM   #29

Were there a large number of British settlers in Atlanta by any chance?

Have been a few times. Nice place, very friendly, great blues. Spent a few happy nights getting sloshed in Blind Willies but I was on the 32nd floor of the Marriot Marquis and I dont recommend the lift with a hangover....
I'm in North Carolina and I'll be ready for our blizzard season this year with my K-7 to really test it out. And, of course, by blizzard season, I mean that last year schools in my county were closed because of a 70% chance of "some flurries". Seriously.

I don't have a DA* seal to test with, but I just got the new WR kit lens, so I'm gunning for a nasty autumn!
10-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
I'm in North Carolina and I'll be ready for our blizzard season this year with my K-7 to really test it out. And, of course, by blizzard season, I mean that last year schools in my county were closed because of a 70% chance of "some flurries". Seriously.

I don't have a DA* seal to test with, but I just got the new WR kit lens, so I'm gunning for a nasty autumn!
Where do you live in NC? I regularly visited the triangle area on business over a four year period, and even lived in Chapel Hill for 6 months in '91. Lovely area. Many great road trips down to Cape Fear, Charleston and the Blue Ridge.

I only remember one night of snow, but I do remember the tail end of a hurricane that flooded out huge areas. I think you may find the weather proofing useful for storm chasing