Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2009, 01:39 AM   #1

K-7 wins top score in Norwegian review

In a new review by the Norwegian audio/video-magazine Lyd og Bilde the Pentax K-7 recieved a score of 6 out of 6! The review is also published at the website of the largest print newspaper over here, VG. Not sure if it is in the printed newspaper as well, but I would think so. Basicly this means that the average Joe (or Ola Nordmann) over here will be able to read about a great camera that they might not even have known about otherwise.

The reviewer focuses a lot on how robust and solid the K-7 is, yet it is the smallest camera of its class. They have tested the weather sealing by having it out in the pouring rain with the 18-55 WR on for half an hour, and then putting it straight into the freezer at -18 degrees celcius for 48 hours. Of course everything was frozen when they finally took it out, but after about 5 minutes it started working again, and they shot several hundred images without any problems at all.

They are very impressed with the functionality and picture quality of the camera. The only negative they could find was noise levels at > ISO 1600 and a bit complicated menu system that required some extra work to reach some frequently used functions.

The review (in Norwegian) can be found here: Test Pentax K-7: Rimelig proffkamera - VG Nett

09-28-2009, 02:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Heh - if ever a camera could have been tailor made for Norwegians I guess the K7 hits the mark

QuoteOriginally posted by sveinmb Quote
In a new review by the Norwegian audio/video-magazine Lyd og Bilde the Pentax K-7 recieved a score of 6 out of 6! The review is also published at the website of the largest print newspaper over here, VG. Not sure if it is in the printed newspaper as well, but I would think so. Basicly this means that the average Joe (or Ola Nordmann) over here will be able to read about a great camera that they might not even have known about otherwise.

The reviewer focuses a lot on how robust and solid the K-7 is, yet it is the smallest camera of its class. They have tested the weather sealing by having it out in the pouring rain with the 18-55 WR on for half an hour, and then putting it straight into the freezer at -18 degrees celcius for 48 hours. Of course everything was frozen when they finally took it out, but after about 5 minutes it started working again, and they shot several hundred images without any problems at all.

They are very impressed with the functionality and picture quality of the camera. The only negative they could find was noise levels at > ISO 1600 and a bit complicated menu system that required some extra work to reach some frequently used functions.

The review (in Norwegian) can be found here: Test Pentax K-7: Rimelig proffkamera - VG Nett
09-28-2009, 05:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Heh - if ever a camera could have been tailor made for Norwegians I guess the K7 hits the mark
Hrmf. They should have tested it for three months in the rain, then.
09-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Nah, that would be the UK version .

If it reaches -1 or +25 here we declare a national emergency so no need for temperature tolerance. But it rains most of the summer.

09-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Swedish Kamera & Bild also likes the K-7 in their review - En kamera för alla väder - a camera for all weathers.
09-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sorksoft Quote
Swedish Kamera & Bild also likes the K-7 in their review - En kamera för alla väder - a camera for all weathers.
I fully expect it to be Iceland's camera of the year.

Duplo already has one so market penetration in Greenland is already higher than any other country.
09-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Does Antarctica have any national DSLR websites/publications?

09-29-2009, 01:32 AM   #8

Duplo already has one so market penetration in Greenland is already higher than any other country.
But Greenland is Denmark territory, not Iceland's
09-29-2009, 02:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Roberts Quote
But Greenland is Denmark territory, not Iceland's
For now, at least... Seems they are heading to independence (if I understood well).
09-29-2009, 04:56 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
My guess is the Pentax K-7 performs better in the miserable weather than those of us behind the camera.

Nah, that would be the UK version .

If it reaches -1 or +25 here we declare a national emergency so no need for temperature tolerance. But it rains most of the summer.
It's always fun for us (Norwegians) to watch BBC News whenever there is a thin layer of snow on the ground in the UK and they recommend people to stay at home and stay away from the car.

That might be true, but I guess with the current economic situation in Iceland, you'll probaby have to sell your car, your house and your wife to afford one?
09-29-2009, 05:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sveinmb Quote
It's always fun for us (Norwegians) to watch BBC News whenever there is a thin layer of snow on the ground in the UK and they recommend people to stay at home and stay away from the car.
If you'd seen the average brit driving on snow, you'd understand
09-29-2009, 06:24 AM   #12

If you'd seen the average brit driving on snow, you'd understand
Watching brits in the ditches is what makes it fun.
Makes us feel superior for a brief moment, until next football match.
09-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

IMHO cameras the likes of the K10D up to the k7 are ideal for you nordic folks and us Canadians. I've been travelling for work the last few winters, but this my first winter home and I'm looking forward to some snowshoe treks in the woods with my pentax gear
09-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

To complement the picture: K7 was rated very favourably in the review by Kamera-lehti, a Finnish photo magazine. Quote:"Professional qualities in a small package"
09-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
To complement the picture: K7 was rated very favourably in the review by Kamera-lehti, a Finnish photo magazine. Quote:"Professional qualities in a small package"

It certainly seems to appeal to those living closer to the arctic circle. I guess its the first time anyone specifically planned for a camera to work in sub-zero temperatures. Very thoughtful of Pentax.

Its a shame the new button layout isnt very glove friendly ....