Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Would you buy an Apple Camera?

Besides, phones are free. Every two years.
A few years ago, Apple was a nobody in the cellphone business. Times change.

According to Flickr's stats, Apple is one of the most, if not the most commonly used cameras. So people do buy Apple cameras.

And you haven't bought a smartphone lately have you? Even after the subsidy (with is actually just deferring the cost and building it into your phone bill), premium phones aren't free.

09-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AM2 Quote
I don't quite agree. Nokia has the words "Carl Zeiss" on their cellphone optics and they are getting clobbered by the iPhone and the Blackberry horde, Pentax won't even get noticed save for by existing users of Pentax products and that is *not* a very big number, especially not in the cellphone world.
For sure! Completely forgot about the Zeiss phones, great point. But then again, the cameras aren't what's necessarily selling the iphones and bberries.

Most people using the cameras on their phones are doing it for incidental shots and are pleased that there just "is" a good enough camera on their phone. This is why Pentax should never enter the segment.

Then people say "ok, but apple entered it and they never made phones before".... surely I agree, but their core competencies rely around design, easy to use software, apps, and functionality. This is why I bought one, and not a thick, weathersealed camera phone that has a 4.0MP sensor.

If we want to make water/shockproof phone, those poor phone skin manufacturers would have nothing to sell!!! Oh that would be too bad...
09-28-2009, 07:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote

According to Flickr's stats, Apple is one of the most, if not the most commonly used cameras. So people do buy Apple cameras.

And you haven't bought a smartphone lately have you? Even after the subsidy (with is actually just deferring the cost and building it into your phone bill), premium phones aren't free.
who makes the iphone lens/sensor anyway? foxconn?
09-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Yes - 2 Blackberry Curve for $40 with a 2 year Verizon 1300 minute contract. I consider that functionally free.

Of course, I am feeling my age. I take pictures with a camera and talk on the phone and check email and internet on a laptop (don't even have a netbook yet). I even have a land line in my house and satellite TV (but no DVR). Don't have iTunes, never have had an iPod.

My wife and I use the Blackberrys to text each other using a Qwerty keyboard (yes, I know there are regular cell phones with Qwerty keyboards).

I've taken maybe ten pictures with all the camera phones I have had. My wife uses an Optio A40 to take pictures - its always in her purse. I carry an XA.

09-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #20

Call me conservaative or whatever you want, but please don't call me with a Pentax phone.

Seriously. Don't think it would be a good thing for the brand.
09-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
People can't even go to the bathroom without a phone anymore, I think we need less ways to say nothing over the airways.
09-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I would buy a Pentax camera phone but only if it uses a non-crippled KAF mount! :P

09-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

When I bought the K7, my neighbor asked me, "why you buy a camera? is there already one on your phone? nowadays nobody buys camera anymore 'cause everybody has one on the phone" ...

If you go out on street or in a park, you can see that most people use phone cameras to take photos instead of using a dedicated camera, even for tourists.
09-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Not everywhere... In some countries, including Belgium, it is illegal for operators to have deals on phones when having new mobile phone contracts. Good or not, I suppose it depends on each one's view. But it is illegal (mostly, things are changing but really nothing's clear so nobody moves...).
09-29-2009, 09:23 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
who makes the iphone lens/sensor anyway? foxconn?
Micron Technology.
09-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
My wife says she would buy a Pentax vibrator.
QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
Make sure she knows to turn SR off.
I actually laughed out loud at that!

I have an iPhone and I'll stick with it.

If Pentax made the internal componets.
09-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Micron Technology.
Thanks! I always wonder how people know this
09-29-2009, 01:19 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Maybe if it was waterproof/shockproof like the Optio W series... .
Yes! They should make the next Optio an unlocked world phone, so that people go on vacation with a single device.
09-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Perfect for my trip to South America this winter.
09-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #30

Too bad it's enormous! That thing would be a pain in the leg (literally) to carry around