Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #31
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
Make sure she knows to turn SR off.
Ah, that was what was wrong with it....

09-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I'm not trendy enough for apple products...haha. I would own a pentax branded phone and I don't think it would hurt for pentax to make lenses for a phone company. Just imagine if pentax made lenses for LG phones and think about how many of those phones are floating around out there. People are gonna buy the phone if pentax made the lens or not, but its still profit, am i right?

I have a samsung omnia i910 and it has pretty much replaced any need for a point and shoot, it has a 5mp camera and the ability to upload the pictures to facebook almost instantly. The only times I hate the camera on it is in low light situations. If the picture is important enough I'll have my k200d with me.
09-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Modern cellphones are almost small computers these days and products such as the I Phone and Blackberrys are more like small laptops with cellphone capability rather than a modem and aren't much of a different product. Samsung is a big electronics company and makes just about everything. For Pentax to make a cellphone would be downright silly. If a major cellphone maker used Pentax lenses for the cameras in their phones it might benefit both companys but I don't think the average cellphone buyer buys the phone for its camera lens or even cares.
09-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I think if one put a phone into a 'real' P&S, that could be something.

Can't afford fancy Iphone type services, but I'd love a basic phone with like a Gossen Digisix built in.

05-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #35

LG L-03C has a Pentax lens. Quite rare today, though.
05-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pencil Quote
Wow; how did you find this thread?!
05-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Besides, phones are free. Every two years.
I'm guessing sarcasm?

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes - 2 Blackberry Curve for $40 with a 2 year Verizon 1300 minute contract. I consider that functionally free.
I guess I don't understand. Do these carriers give you a $500 phone just because you agree to a contract? The price of the phone has to be built in there somewhere.

05-20-2013, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

Pentax phone... can't imagine it.

QuoteOriginally posted by pencil Quote

05-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Sure, I'll buy one! But only if it has a Full Fr... GAH, SORRY GUYS, CAN'T DO IT.
05-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
My wife says she would buy a Pentax vibrator.
Hmm. They do make endoscopes, so... Cameras are everywhere, aren't they? And Pentax makes a good line of waterproofs...

More seriously, single-purpose general usage devices are steadily disappearing as multi-functionality takes over (the word "convergence" is used in broadcast media circles to describe the bringing together of technologies). Expect more of it in future, in leisure pursuits like photography, as in phones, kitchen appliances, motor vehicles etc. Single-usage devices will remain for the dedicated practitioner or hobbyist, but the majority of people will opt for convenience over excellence.

On the other hand, as digital camera electronics advances and communications functionality improves it will no doubt be possible to communicate by voice over the wireless data connection between the camera and the tethering or data-streaming device it's connected to. So, the converse may well be the case, namely the camera has phone capability, rather than the other way round. All this can happen with minimal additional cost, and it may even be cheaper to use a multi-function chipset that has comms capability than not. Purists may wring their hands, but you don't have to use what you don't need or want.
05-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Sure, I'll buy one! But only if it has a Full Fr... GAH, SORRY GUYS, CAN'T DO IT.
I was waiting for the FF comment from the start of this thread.... someone had to do it.
05-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd buy a Pentax car!! Can you imagine the IQ of the backup camera?
05-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I'd buy a Pentax car!! Can you imagine the IQ of the backup camera?
I'm not sure I want a Pentax FF lens inside my car's rear bumper, and if it isn't FF, forget it!
05-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Well Pentax worked with HP before to make a camera. Sony just came out with a waterproof smartphone. So Apple needs wr tech and experience, who else knows this better than Pentax? Imagine iPhone 6 with weather sealing, 31mm equivalent lens, f1.8 (nod to the FA 31 of course), Pentax lens design and made. Zeiss on Sony, Pentax on Apple? I think it would work. Leave the U.I. and hardware to Apple, the camera to Pentax Ricoh. Look at the GR, it's the first compact camera from R/P to garner so much media attention imho...
05-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #45
Banned

I would buy it if it had the same Verizon 4G LTE, 5" 1080p display, wireless charging , front and back 1080p HD video cameras , and beats audio like my Verizon HTC Droid DNA .