Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #61

Nope.

05-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Have a Samsung Note 2, next phone is a Jolla , so no.
05-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #63
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After some thinking, I don't care about a phone. Apple will always make a better phone than anyone. Because phone is not hardware only, it's software, and Apple shines in software.

But, I'd be glad to buy a — you will never guess what — ... a Pentax camera!

If they break their nap and actually release one.

Last edited by Uluru; 05-23-2013 at 07:14 PM.
05-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Maybe a Pentax tablet would come in more handy then a Phone.
Given the number of tourists I saw in Europe recently, using iPads as cameras, that's not as marginal as it might sound. I don't have a current iPad, but the camera and software in my iPhone5 gives remarkably good results, so Apple clearly have some good photo-optical and software people involved, as it is.

05-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #65
Banned

Maybe Pentax should just buy Apple and come out with cool colors and Pentax LTD prime lens on the Pentax iPhone.
05-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #66
Site Supporter

There was a time, when Pentax was in bed with Samsung, when a Samsung phone with a Pentax lens would have made sense and might have even been fairly likely. No longer. I think Ricoh and Pentax have enough on their plates right now - unless they can get Apple interested.
05-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Phones are a commodity; they are given for free today because tech behind them has become worthless.
Good cameras still are not in the same basket and are more valued.
Phones are only "free" after you sign a contract and promise to give the network of your choice thousands of dollars over the next few years.

Look for an iPhone without a contract, and you'll see what the real cost is. How does $475 sound for a now-outdated iPhone 4s?

Cameras still cost a lot of money because, when you buy one, you're free to move on and not spend another dime on Pentax. Maybe you think you're getting your phone for free, but the cost is just delayed. They'll get your money eventually, and it's actually a lot of money.
05-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Cameras still cost a lot of money because, when you buy one, you're free to move on and not spend another dime on Pentax. Maybe you think you're getting your phone for free, but the cost is just delayed. They'll get your money eventually, and it's actually a lot of money.
When I last bought an iPhone 5 (as a present), I bought an unlocked one, it will in the end be cheaper than a "cheap" or "free" one including the plan. The unlocked iPhone 5 costs more than a K-30...

06-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Heh, this was such an old thread I thought it was a new thing.

Still, I've been starting to think a pocketable digital might come in handy around here, and the way things are going with the technology, if you're going to carry that, why not put a phone in there, since a lot of the pieces are redundant. I bet something based on the MX-1 or WG series would be a pretty neat way to go, and get points for style and/or durability. Or, maybe, why not just make something a bit modular: instead of a swing-out LCD, just make an Iphone you could plug into the rest of a camera. (Then you could leave the extra stuff behind if, say, you're carrying more serious photo stuff.

(It'd be a point in favor of Pentax in particular for a pocket camera if it had a familiar UI and controls and all, but I suppose anyone could do it. I don't know how it'd sell. )