Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #46
Forum Member

Well,

What I really dislike about my simple Nokia C2: everything is hidden far away in the most illogical menus and complicated buttons. Even when it is said to be the most robust phones, I doubt that it will last more than two years. I don't dare to phone in the rain. It gave up on me at -10 degrees celcius.

My K5 gives me full control of all the essential functions ready at the fingertips. After almost 2 years it still operates as new, even when I took it out in the rain. During a winter holiday at -15 deg C it gave me over 600 pics on one battery.

05-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
Well Pentax worked with HP before to make a camera. Sony just came out with a waterproof smartphone. So Apple needs wr tech and experience, who else knows this better than Pentax? Imagine iPhone 6 with weather sealing, 31mm equivalent lens, f1.8 (nod to the FA 31 of course), Pentax lens design and made. Zeiss on Sony, Pentax on Apple? I think it would work. Leave the U.I. and hardware to Apple, the camera to Pentax Ricoh. Look at the GR, it's the first compact camera from R/P to garner so much media attention imho...
That would work, I reckon. Anyone else remember the "Eyes of Pentax" advertising campaign from the 1980s? A revival of that in this context might work. It might offend those who've swallowed the anti-Apple pill, but maybe a Pirelli calendar shot with a Pentax-equipped iPhone would change a few minds. Where's Sam Haskins when you need him?
05-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #48
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
To be honest I don't quite understand brand loyalty. If I buy a new phone, I buy a new phone. Not a camera. I don't need it to be from a particular brand. For that matter, I don't need a compact camera to be from a particular brand either. I got an Olympus Tough TG-2 and it works fine beside my K-5. I didn't get an Olympus because Olympus is the greatest manufacturer on earth. I got an Olympus because Olympus makes cameras. It's really no more complicated than that. So why would I want the phone to be the same brand as my DSLR? (which, by the way, I also did not buy just because it said "Pentax")

Now, if Pentax would make a phone with some special new feature I could see myself using, then maybe I would buy a Pentax phone. But I can't imagine what that would be. But even if they would do that: I wouldn't buy a Pentax, I'd buy a phone. The fact that it would be made by Pentax is not the reason I'd choose it. The fact that that phone has that feature might be.

But anyway, my iPhone is in no need for a replacement anyway. And speaking of iPhone, I bought some apps and books for that. So I'm kind of invested into that platform.

Last edited by starbase218; 05-21-2013 at 03:20 PM.
05-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think brand loyalty is hard to understand, although it differs from brand fanaticism, which I find difficult to fathom. Although the modern business and marketing schools only seem to think that loyalty to a brand can be bought with money equivalence (frequent-flyer points etc) the old-fashioned reasons for brand loyalty were family connection (think football and cars), reliability and economy (appliances) and comfortable familiarity (clothes etc). These days, you can add association (Tee-shirts with slogans or logos) and self-definition (socio-economic class or sub-group). Brand fanaticism, on the other hand, is probably more associated with a psychological condition (think religion or secular cult).

To the point, I inherited a Pentax SV from my father, and found it to be comfortable, reliable and highly functional, just like all of its successors. I've tried other camera brands and found them to be good (in some cases, very good) but comfortable familiarity and satisfactory performance brings me back each time, although I can't imagine the time and effort I'd have to put into re-investing in an alternative system now. If it does what you want, there's no sin involved.

05-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #50
Pentaxian

I'd buy a Pentax phone even if it had only one button that said "phone home"!
05-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #51
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They already have cheap wrist watches :-) But not theirs, of course.
Phones are a commodity; they are given for free today because tech behind them has become worthless.
Good cameras still are not in the same basket and are more valued.
More Pentax moves out of gadget and commoddity markets (abandoning cheap p&s), they will fare better.
05-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Kind of the wrong forum for this thread. Not news and rumours about Pentax.

05-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #53
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Phones are a commodity; they are given for free today because tech behind them has become worthless.
I agree, phones are worthless but smartphones is were the big money is and the top models have more computing power than the fastest desktop PCs from a few years ago.
05-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Kind of the wrong forum for this thread. Not news and rumours about Pentax.
You can back it in that someone will trawl through here and pick it up. If so, this thread becomes a sort of proto-rumour.
05-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pencil Quote
LG L-03C has a Pentax lens. Quite rare today, though.
I find it interesting that the first (and only) post you made on these forums was to dig up a 4 year old thread. Surely that's not your only reason for joining PF?

Last edited by Cannikin; 05-21-2013 at 06:27 PM.
05-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If Samsung can make a good smartphone, a good camera, a good clothes dryer, and a good refrigerator, I don't see why Pentax couldn't build a good version of any of those things if they wanted to. They just don't seem to want to.
05-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
If Samsung can make a good smartphone, a good camera, a good clothes dryer, and a good refrigerator, I don't see why Pentax couldn't build a good version of any of those things if they wanted to. They just don't seem to want to.
True, but the structure and the resources that Samsung has at it's disposal is tremendous. So Pentax has focused itself on cameras. I don't think Pentax making their own smartphone is the answer. Because then Pentax has to break into an already cluttered market and that will take money, lots of it. Partnering with say LG, or Apple, will provide the engineering knowledge and marketing presence that Pentax lacks, especially in the mobile electronics area. I say Apple because the iPhone camera development, minus sensor of course, has been in house. Sony's been working really aggressively at reestablishing its presence, for me the Xperia ZR being the first real waterproof smartphone is a huge breakthrough. Apple will need to respond at least weather proofing the next iPhone. An LG partnership i think is less desirable as I feel their presence is not a significant as Apple and they do need some expertise on rugged weather resistant electronics, Pentax Ricoh does not have any competing segments as well so a mutual partnership seems quite possible... just my .02 :-)
05-22-2013, 02:30 AM   #58
Veteran Member

What kind of lens and sensor would you guys like to see on a camera phone? Zoom, prime? Folding, fixed size?
Would be neat, sure. But the phone would also have to perform in all the other areas.
05-22-2013, 03:25 AM   #59
Banned

Maybe a Pentax tablet would come in more handy then a Phone.
05-22-2013, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #60
Banned

Actually, I'd love Pentax to make graphite pencils. They work everywhere, even in space, under water etc.
And they can be erased with a rubber, which is a big plus. Great for kids, students, teachers, artists, graphic designers, photographers on the go, etc.
They don't need power, batteries, and developing of a sophisticated repair network isn't necessary.