Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Samsung's mobile phone business to absorb Samsung Digital Imaging?

According to dpreview (in their coverage of the 12mp Samsung phone) Samsung's mobile phone business is considering absorbing Samsung'Digital Imaging.

Didn't they just create a separate company for their cameras?

Of course, more and more phones will have better and better cameras in them, but I doubt for DSLR's (if they are still into that) or the NX, this is positive. Even if we have a phone built into the camera (for whatever reasons.....uploading pictures would probably be the most useful for a photographer) it just can't be good if things are controlled by the mobile phone business.
With P&S they can merge it with whatever business they want (I would like a tiny espresso machine in my cameraphone) but leave the large sensor cameras alone.

/Tommy

09-30-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Samsung Electronics wants to make a separate company for all their digital imaging products, which actually means merging their mobile phones, DSLR's and p&s cameras plus their video operation into one unit called Samsung Digital Imaging. So it is not that the mobile phones will absorb the DSLR's, rather it is several units that will be merging into one, which sounds quite logical.

Previously, the cameras has been part of the Samsung Techwind corporation, which also supplies products for military business.
09-30-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
cyg

Samsung Digital Imaging was spun off from Samsung Techwin last February (2009) and is currently a separate company under same ownership.

I'm not sure what RMabo's point is the above post, but according to the linked information, Samsung electronics actually do plan to absorb that digital imaging company. I'm guessing their mobile phone business is much larger than their camera (P&S and dslr) business anyway.

On the other hand, Samsung's communication is not always a model of coherence so who knows what this will mean in practice.