Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2009, 02:02 AM   #1
RaduA

Dcresource's K-7 review is up

Link: Pentax K-7 Review | Digital Camera Resource Page

"The Pentax K-7 isn't just an excellent midrange digital SLR -- it's also an incredible value. It may not have the fastest burst rate or lowest noise in its class, but it offers more features per dollar than anything else out there. It has very good image quality, stellar build quality, snappy performance (in most situations), more manual controls than you'll need, unique exposure modes, an HD movie mode, and lots more. Downsides are few. The camera tends to underexpose, and its image are on the soft side. The movie mode could use some work, contrast detect autofocus is slow (when using live view), and the menu system looks like a relic of the last century. Ultimately, the K-7 is a high-end camera at a midrange price, and it's a great choice for Pentax owners looking to upgrade, or first time D-SLR buyers who want something more capable than an entry-level model."

Enjoy!
Radu

09-30-2009, 03:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's funny, because while the reviewers says that he feels like the K7 underexposes, most of the people here have commented that they feel like it tends to over expose. I guess it is what you are used to. Compared to the K10, it definitely exposes brighter.
09-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It's funny, because while the reviewers says that he feels like the K7 underexposes, most of the people here have commented that they feel like it tends to over expose. I guess it is what you are used to. Compared to the K10, it definitely exposes brighter.
Yes, that part of the conclusion made me re-read that sentence one more time too.
09-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #4

underexposure I would say, but shootig RAW it just means that you can hold a lot of detail in highlights, anyway I ussually use shadows as negative space...

09-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the life of me I cannot see what's wrong with the menus, they're very easy to follow.
09-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #6

I am probably once again displaying my ignorance again here, but how can a camera tend to render things "soft". I understand that specific camera models differ and have a lot of limitations, but softness would seem to come from the lens one uses, or perhaps maybe the particular type of in-camera jpeg processing it uses, but the camera as a whole?
09-30-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jess Quote
I am probably once again displaying my ignorance again here, but how can a camera tend to render things "soft". I understand that specific camera models differ and have a lot of limitations, but softness would seem to come from the lens one uses, or perhaps maybe the particular type of in-camera jpeg processing it uses, but the camera as a whole?
He's probably referring to the JPEG processing more than anything else, but a digital camera can actually have inherent softness depending on the strength of the anti-aliasing filter in front of the sensor. Some cameras have very strong AA filters (Olympus, if I recall correctly,) some have rather weak ones (Nikon) or none (that new Leica). Not sure where the K-7 stands, but traditionally I don't think Pentax has made it a point to be on either extreme of the spectrum.
10-01-2009, 01:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
For the life of me I cannot see what's wrong with the menus, they're very easy to follow.
I don't get that kind of criticism either.

I once asked regarding another review that criticised the menu system and soccerjoe5 had some answers.

In any event, reviewers should state in what particular way they find the menu system lacking. I liked the Dcresource review but regarding the menu the reviewer should have stated what he is missing.

10-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speaking of Diego (SoccerJoe), has anybody heard from him lately? With the Phillipines being pounded by typhoons lately and a super typhoon headed that way tomorrow, things could be rough over there.

Jack