Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon is top dog in dSLR sales etc and can skate a year or two as long as the keep their product development and R&D up. The niche market companies actually rely on being seen at some events, not necessarily all of them, but some of them at least. Most people that know nothing about photography or the history of photography know Canon is big and Nikon is highly regarded. If the same people have even heard of Pentax or Oly they are likely to comment, "I thought they went out of business."

Edit: Actually after thinking about it longer, I find it hard to believe that Canon is that hard up. This has to be an insignificant part of their overall budget for marketing.

Last edited by Blue; 10-14-2009 at 01:23 PM.
10-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
This is just about everywhere, not just in the photo industry. Many motorcycle manufacturers were no shows at big rallys this summer. I work for a food wholesaler and they cut back on the food shows this year. I will assume they didn't get enough new business to justify the cost.
Agreed. A friend and i attend the Sea Kayaking Symposium at nearby Fort Worden in Washington State. Its more like a 3 day sea kayaking college complete with regular classes every day, also attracting some international folks. It was fully down 1/2 or 2/3 in Sept 2009 from last year. Vendors are doing poorly at their shops and many didn't sign up. Much less consumers participating this year as well.

USA market is struggling back - maybe. Meanwhile, the US is still shedding jobs. The experts declare the recession over whenever the rate of job loss is not quite as bad as the previous month. Yeah, thats convincing
10-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Agreed. A friend and i attend the Sea Kayaking Symposium at nearby Fort Worden in Washington State. Its more like a 3 day sea kayaking college complete with regular classes every day, also attracting some international folks. It was fully down 1/2 or 2/3 in Sept 2009 from last year. Vendors are doing poorly at their shops and many didn't sign up. Much less consumers participating this year as well.

USA market is struggling back - maybe. Meanwhile, the US is still shedding jobs. The experts declare the recession over whenever the rate of job loss is not quite as bad as the previous month. Yeah, thats convincing
The recession is over when the ISM Manufacturing index crosses above 50 - which it just did. It is not well understood that, as we exit recession, employment continues to decline for some months after manufacturing begins to increase. Employment is a lagging indicator.

Textbook sequence of events.

The only real difference this time is banks are still trying to conserve capital by making fewer loans, meaning the Federal Reserve provides or guarantees credit to finance economic expansion.

Counter-intuitively, you will know the economy is really getting better when interest rates start going up. When banks start to lend, the Fed will pull back, and interest rates wil start to rise.

That will cause a stock market correction just as the economy is improving (and right after the last hold-out finally reinvests), and a rise in the dollar.