Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Trade Show NO-Shows by the big Co's

Wow, Canon today said they will not show at PMA in 2010 (link to my blog on it HERE) saying they will only show at CES! This is because of marketing, no word yet as of any $$ issues
Pentax and Samsung are reported no-shows at PDN PhotoPlus in NYC this October (The largest show for consumers on the east coast, if not the US) this is reported due to $$ concerns.
Wow, will be interesting to see how PMA handles this, and what other companies do too.

09-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Then they're doing something right.

Trade shows are usually very expensive to show at and produce few sales. I'm in marketing and I've cancelled all my trade show bookings this year (totally different sector though). Here's a chart of what it costs to get buyers through various marketing means; on my chart trade shows are about $2000/lead, ie even more expensive than all of these.

09-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is just about everywhere, not just in the photo industry. Many motorcycle manufacturers were no shows at big rallys this summer. I work for a food wholesaler and they cut back on the food shows this year. I will assume they didn't get enough new business to justify the cost.
09-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #4

If money is tight, I'd rather they spend money making lenses / cameras instead of hiring a bunch of models to pose with them.

09-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've heard complaints that the money crisis was over. Guess not.
09-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Apple will not be attending Macworld this year, and they have billions in the bank. The trade show business model is dying rather quickly. Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to advertise to thousands of customers, when you could reach hundreds of thousands of customers online for a fraction of the price?
09-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Complaints? Anyway I don't believe it's over.

10-01-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree, Trade Show marketing concept is little bang for lots of bucks

I agree, Trade Show marketing concept is little bang for lots bucks.

Canon still has numerous shows, if you want to get a hands on: CES & Photo Plus Expo.

I think PMA moved from Las Vegas to Anniheim this time out, I'd have to re-check this.

If so then:

Maybe Sin City has more appeal to Canon than does Mickey Mouse?

Here's the next show Canon will be at:

>>>"

Early Bird Special Ends in One Week!

PDN PhotoPlus International Conference + Expo
Jacob K. Javits Convention Center
New York City - October 22-24, 2009

Register Before Next Thursday to Receive Early Bird Savings!
Prices go up after October 8th, so make sure you register now for any of the 100+ seminars before they sell out and the price increases in one week. This year's conference is filled with expert panels, special events and keynotes packed into three days with 60 new sessions.

Time is Also Running Out to Save $20 on Your Gold Expo Pass!
The price of the Gold Expo Pass increases after October 8th so purchase yours now to save $20. Experience the show as a VIP and beat the crowds with your Gold Expo Pass. This exclusive 3-day offers you convenience, efficiency and a better way to enjoy the show giving you more one-on-one time with exhibitors.

Free Admission Offer Ends Soon!
You must register by October 8th to receive FREE admission to the Expo Floor. After October 8th, the price of general admission is $49. But remember, your Expo Only Pass does not give you access to over 100 educational seminars at our conference.

Register now to save with our special early bird prices. Gain inspiration and knowledge from some of the greatest photographers and imaging experts in the world. Whether you're a seasoned professional or an advanced amateur, this is THE event you must attend to strengthen your competitive advantage!

<<<<"

and Canon at CES info:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09093002pmacanon.asp

Last edited by Samsungian; 10-01-2009 at 07:25 AM. Reason: added link
10-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Apple will not be attending Macworld this year, and they have billions in the bank. The trade show business model is dying rather quickly. Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to advertise to thousands of customers, when you could reach hundreds of thousands of customers online for a fraction of the price?
The online factor is more complex than that. The big names still need to architect big showy reveals, and they still need a show to do it at. However, the internet lets the whole planet attend a show you do a big announcement at. There isn't much point making the announcement at multiple trade shows.

The trade show business is going to get cutthroat because of that, and you will likely only see multiple big shows for a given industry where there are enough big money players that there is value in being the biggest announcement at a given show.

E3 vs CES was probably the best example of this competition.
10-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Honestly the only thing the trade shows are good for anymore is for people to make YouTube videos of new products. If the companies did this themselves they would save tons of money and have leads based off who subscribes to their YouTube channel.
10-02-2009, 08:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_XTC Quote
Honestly the only thing the trade shows are good for anymore is for people to make YouTube videos of new products. If the companies did this themselves they would save tons of money and have leads based off who subscribes to their YouTube channel.
I do not know about other manufactures, but Pentax do a good job producing YouTube videos.
10-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
I do not know about other manufactures, but Pentax do a good job producing YouTube videos.
Good for a video... Bad they are getting no face time with real photographers at the PPE in NYC in 2 weeks. This show is all about the consumer, not about the retailer. Their k7 road show/tour etc was ok, but reports that were averaging 20 or less per location/time and many probably found out about it because they were already pentax users.
Though kudos for some of the big page advertising I have seen, and nice job on the press event for the Kx.
10-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
The online factor is more complex than that. The big names still need to architect big showy reveals, and they still need a show to do it at. However, the internet lets the whole planet attend a show you do a big announcement at. There isn't much point making the announcement at multiple trade shows.
In addition, Apple is a bit special. They can just invite a limited number of journalists to their Cupertino headquarters or San Francisco, and the mac rumor sites will be buzzing with anticipation even before the invitations to the journalists have been sent. No need for a trade show to get attention.
10-14-2009, 07:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Looks like everyone else is still going to PMA in 2010.

QuoteQuote:
Major suppliers returning from PMA 09 include Casio America, DNP Photo Imaging America, Eastman Kodak Co., Fujifilm USA Inc., General Imaging Co., Hewlett-Packard Co.,, Lowepro USA, Nikon Inc., Noritsu America Corp., Olympus Imaging America Inc., Mitsubishi Digital Electronics, Panasonic Consumer Electronics, Pentax Imaging, Pioneer Photo Albums, Samsung Electronics America Inc., Sigma Corp., Sony Electronics Inc., Tamrac Inc., Tamron USA Inc., and Xerox Corp.
http://www.wide-formatimaging.com/web/online/Industry-NewsTrends/PMA-2010-Registration-Open--Major-Exhibitors-Announced/1$5154
10-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
The news here in Florida stated that gasoline prices were going back up due to the dollar weakening . . . due to government overspending.