Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2009, 07:13 AM   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Freevision Quote
i wonder if the FF is in their plan ,why do they stop producing many FA lenses recent years?
Around last year's Photokina a couple of Pentax officials (the German product manager for instance) "definitely" announced, that Pentax will NOT make a FF camera, but something betwen FF and the current 1.5x crop. This may of course change with market requirements.
BUT if they announced that last year, it is quite probable. that they had not any final design in their drawers for a FF camera. And that needs time. As we have seen over and over again (the old Pentax MZ-D, the 645D) the development cycles of Pentax are way behind the industry average. Whenever a prototype was presented at last, it was already completely obsolete, as it sported outdated technology at a too high price tag.

I wish, Pentax would concentrate on simply doing their homework and get out those lenses that make it onto the famous Roadmap and then mysteriously disappear again. What's about a DA TC, what's about longer lenses?

Ben

11-23-2009, 07:24 AM   #182
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Around last year's Photokina a couple of Pentax officials (the German product manager for instance) "definitely" announced, that Pentax will NOT make a FF camera, but something betwen FF and the current 1.5x crop.
Are you sure about that? Do you have a link, something to show us their exact words?
Because I can't remember anything like that... yes, there were a lot of rumors, but wasn't something as definite as this?
11-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Freevision Quote
i wonder if the FF is in their plan ,why do they stop producing many FA lenses recent years?
Maybe to re-release them with weather-sealing, quickshift and large rubber focus rings?

(but let's hope they let us keep screwdrive and aperture rings)
11-23-2009, 07:37 AM   #184
Veteran Member

Around last year's Photokina a couple of Pentax officials (the German product manager for instance) "definitely" announced, that Pentax will NOT make a FF camera,
That I believe this is what they were probably led to believe..

but something between FF and the current 1.5x crop. This may of course change with market requirements.
Ben
Pointless and economically nonviable except as an odd size square sensor. This rumor has been pretty well beaten into submission. any sensor bigger that APS-C would probably cost close to the FF cost. NO advantage whatsoever for cost or marketing. Canon is the only one w/ a current bigger than APS-C sensor (1.2x).
Nikon and Canon DSLR Camera Specifications Compared

11-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #185
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Maybe to re-release them with weather-sealing, quickshift and large rubber focus rings?

(but let's hope they let us keep screwdrive and aperture rings)
i think the DFA version will be release if they have a plan to carry out FF.
11-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Are you sure about that? Do you have a link, something to show us their exact words?
Because I can't remember anything like that... yes, there were a lot of rumors, but wasn't something as definite as this?
I can't find the offical statement now, but I spoke to a Pentax representative myself at Photokina and got a very firm confirmation, that they were not planning any FF camera. But who knwos, what the state of things id, a year later...

Ben
11-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #187
Pentaxian

I can't find the offical statement now, but I spoke to a Pentax representative myself at Photokina and got a very firm confirmation, that they were not planning any FF camera. But who knwos, what the state of things id, a year later...

Ben
For now (at that time) indeed. But AFAIK they never told anything about a crop sensor other than APS-C and cropped 645.

11-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #188
Pentaxian

OK... that's a little different, though. No FF at that moment (at least officially, Hoya is good at keeping secrets), no word on an intermediate sensor, nor about a square one
Afaik the official word was they were not planning for FF at that moment, that the priority was on 645D - a FF camera would not appear before it's bigger brother.
I'm not holding my breath until then, but Pentax did not ruled out a FF camera. In fact, they would make one if they could make a profit on it.
07-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
1. New camera with crop-sensor with 8-9 fps (higher specs than K-7).
Second half of 2010.
P.S. K-7 goes to lower $900-1000.

2. 645D will be launched on spring, 2010. Very good featured. Very good price.

3. FF camera with 5 new FF lenses will be announced close to the end of 2010.
No info about date of sales. Forecast - first part of 2011.
Sensor - two options Not SONY.

4. Micro-APS system will announced too. Maybe it will be the camera like Leica X1 with 40 mm lens. Not clear.

Is it beyond Hoya's power?
Hate to resurrect this old post, but interesting to see that out of the 4, No .2 came true spot on.

So OGL what do you know further about the FF model?
07-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #190
Pentaxian

Considering it was public, official info...
Pentax 645D Medium-Format Digital Camera On Track for 2010
07-23-2010, 12:54 AM   #191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Hate to resurrect this old post, but interesting to see that out of the 4, No .2 came true spot on.
But wasn't this a well known fact when the post was made?
Anyone could have written that "prediction" without any inside info.
07-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #192
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Let's wait till September, 21

1 and 3 will be clear very soon

as for 4 - not sure about Photokina, but...EVIL is in work
07-23-2010, 03:54 AM   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
I predict that Pentax will launch an entry-level DSLR called the K-x in September 2009!
07-23-2010, 04:37 AM   #194
Forum Member

I'm waiting for Photokina before I make any purchasing decisions. For me Pentax have to come up with something to beat the 7D (and 550D too), preferably but not absolutely necessarily FF.

Unless Nikon do something drastic too with their out of date low resolution range the market is looking like Canon's for the taking.
07-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #195
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Spring 2010 was spot on accurate a year before...that's pretty damn good speculation and assumptions if you ask me.