Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2010, 04:41 AM   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The issue with circular sensors would be the waste of sensor material, since they are taken from a rectangular wafer.
Rectangular wafers? I beg to differ.

I agree on the waste generated by using round ICs.

07-24-2010, 05:57 AM   #212
Veteran Member

Let me make myself a little clearer. In all currently produced cameras, to the best of my knowledge, the sensor is smaller than the circle of light that shines upon it. Accordingly, a certain amount of the image that is coming through the lens is never recorded by the sensor.

Suppose instead that sensors were so cheap that we could make them larger than the circle of light shining on them. Sure, you'd be wasting some of the sensor, but if sensors are really really cheap, so what?

Under this arrangement, the RAW image coming off the sensor would include the entire image circle, and we could then crop the image to 1:1, 3:2, 4:3, whatever takes our fancy. Thus you wouldn't talk about your sensor being in any particular format -- it's just a sensor. You'd then crop your images to whatever ratio was appropriate for that particular image without any thought to a "native" format, because there simply isn't one.

FWIW, I suppose that if the sensor is to be a little larger than the image circle, it would probably be simplest to cut the wafer into hexagons. So strictly speaking the sensor would hexagonal, and the images it produced would be circular.
07-26-2010, 06:09 AM   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Let me make myself a little clearer. In all currently produced cameras, to the best of my knowledge, the sensor is smaller than the circle of light that shines upon it. Accordingly, a certain amount of the image that is coming through the lens is never recorded by the sensor.

Suppose instead that sensors were so cheap that we could make them larger than the circle of light shining on them. Sure, you'd be wasting some of the sensor, but if sensors are really really cheap, so what?

Under this arrangement, the RAW image coming off the sensor would include the entire image circle, and we could then crop the image to 1:1, 3:2, 4:3, whatever takes our fancy. Thus you wouldn't talk about your sensor being in any particular format -- it's just a sensor. You'd then crop your images to whatever ratio was appropriate for that particular image without any thought to a "native" format, because there simply isn't one.

FWIW, I suppose that if the sensor is to be a little larger than the image circle, it would probably be simplest to cut the wafer into hexagons. So strictly speaking the sensor would hexagonal, and the images it produced would be circular.
While this idea may be seducing at first, sensors are not cheap. But even if they were, making a bigger sensor have a major impact on physical architecture and electronics, leading to a bigger camera, a lower framerate, and more expensive electronics. This said, you can put a DX lens on a Nikon FF.