Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
I doubt that very much. Pentax has always had a few years gap between flagship models - and the K7 is clearly a flagship model.
actually if you will look here - デジタル一眼レフカメラ:PENTAX*開*ストーリー (english version is @ OK1000 Pentax Blog) - you will see that Hoya's approved wording for K-7 is "medium-class model", I guess that points to the fact that they will have something in the class above - do they mean 645D by that or FF or higher class APS-C ?

10-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #17

damn it ogl. Wasn't it enough to torture everyone before the K-7 release? Do you now have to start winding up the expectation over a year in advance?

At least it gives everyone a que to start saving.

I have to say, right now I'm happy with K-7 and am in no hurry to jump up and buy, where I really want to see movement is in the lens line-up. I want that SDM rear converter, the DA 30mm, and a DA21Ltd in red for my future K-x purchase. Well, the first two anyway...
10-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #18
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
3. FF camera with 5 new FF lenses will be announced close to the end of 2010.
No info about date of sales. Forecast - first part of 2011.
Isn't that a bit late? The first generation of FF DSLRs have already been replaced and the next generation and cheaper versions are selling NOW, in 2009. And now we're hearing rumors about 2011. What's the point? By that time people who care about FF at all have long ago switched brands and the remaining either want to have a smaller camera body or just don't give a damn about sensor size.
10-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Given the fact that :
- Ogl doesn't work for Pentax,
- Ogl doesn't live in Japan,

I take those affirmations as personnal speculations as long as Ogl is what he claims to be (and if it wasn't the case, I would have less reasons to believe him)

Only some Japanase Pentax employees, and maybe some regional managers may have information on medium term developments.

Saying that Pentax is thinking about full frame is not speculation, everybody in the market is moving toward it. But doesn't mean that a planning have been set, Pentax have an history of taking its time to avoid delivering half baked products.

The lack of future release in the official lens lineup is an indication that Hoya / Pentax may be up to something but it can be that :
- Pentax is preparing a full refresh of their 645 lens lineup.
- Pentax wants to shorten the time between when a lens is announced and time when a lens is available to the public (no more 60-250/F4 syndrom)
- Pentax is preparing a FF lens lineup.

The first 2 indications are at least as likely as the last one.

Hoya/Pentax have shown with the K-X that they were able to handle correctly confidentiality on the development and release of models. Therefore I highly doubt that any "I know a man who speak why some guys who know stuff" will lead to any kind of reliable information.

So far we only know that Pentax will launch the Pentax 645D on spring 2010 (this no just confirmed by Ned Bunnell, but also by some magazines and some Pentax conferences) and that's about all.

Pentax have at the moment the most complete APSC lens lineup on the market with 5 DA ltd (15 / 21 / 35 / 40 / 70), some longer glass (200 / 300) and unique lineup of zooms 18-55 + 50-200 "kit", 17-70 + 55-300 "enthousiast", 16-50 + 50-135 "pro", and 60-250 a zoom that is unique to Pentax amoung the camera makers.

So if you want to keep with APSC, Pentax is an extremely nice choice.
- Compact cameras,
- Nice features sets,
- Best ascending and descending compatibility between any brand,
- Superb lens choice.

If you want 35mm sensors for any reason, move to another brand, Pentax is not able to answer here. And the argument "I have invested in FF glass, I can't move" is not valid. Regular reports says that need to upgrade your glass when getting the latest FF bodies. Only the best glass remain, and this one doesn't go down in value so you can resell it.

I know this the "news and rumors" forum here, but I have seen so much Pentax FF thread in one year, that I can't help and say that all the people who knows won't tell anything, and if you read any rumor about it , there's 99.99 % chance to be pure imagination.

I would much rather have this part of the forum dicussing about 3rd party releases, Pentax reviews and official news. But I guess, this is the nature of this forum...

To me, Pentax is doing incredibly fine at the moment and is providing nearly all I need as a photographer. Of course, I am waiting for more good lenses and great bodies and even more accessories, but then I looks at Cartier-Bresson, Raymond Depardon and other great photographers and I understand that it's not the point.

Thank you for reading my rant,
Guillaume

10-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Sigh! Yet more unsubstantiated rumors.
I'm not sure if it's all wishful thinking or a case of substance abuse.
Haha, yeah too many smiles grins and winks to be anything but (plus we all know OGL wants to like the K-x, but its just camera is not for him smile wink!)

No weather sealing, oh where is my sunshining?! No AF points? my sky it falls! (this is a quote I swear it on the internets).

Ogl - all your baseless rumors are belong to us.

Last edited by pxpaulx; 10-02-2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Pointless internet meme addition
10-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Given the fact that :
- Ogl doesn't work for Pentax,
- Ogl doesn't live in Japan,

I take those affirmations as personnal speculations as long as Ogl is what he claims to be (and if it wasn't the case, I would have less reasons to believe him)

The lack of future release in the official lens lineup is an indication that Hoya / Pentax may be up to something but it can be that :
- Pentax wants to shorten the time between when a lens is announced and time when a lens is available to the public (no more 60-250/F4 syndrom)

Hoya/Pentax have shown with the K-X that they were able to handle correctly confidentiality on the development and release of models. Therefore I highly doubt that any "I know a man who speak why some guys who know stuff" will lead to any kind of reliable information.

Thank you for reading my rant,
Guillaume

I whole-heartedly agree! and its' not a rant if it is true.
10-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Isn't that a bit late? The first generation of FF DSLRs have already been replaced and the next generation and cheaper versions are selling NOW, in 2009. And now we're hearing rumors about 2011. What's the point? By that time people who care about FF at all have long ago switched brands and the remaining either want to have a smaller camera body or just don't give a damn about sensor size.
I think the only rumors are of what OGL has bopping around the space between his ears.

By 2011 we will have maleable (sp?) sensors that adjust in a 3-d plane for instant AF. haven't you heard? That, and we will be able to paint OLEDs (the O stands for organic afterall) onto our walls for full wall televisions (super double bluray HD resolution, here we come). I think big.

10-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

My own speculation. Not so BIG...

Parts of Ogl's first post makes sense actually. I won't speculate in how reliable it is though. Here is my own speculations. I have NO insight what so ever. Very few has, and I guess that the few with information keeps it to them selves.

First point; A new aps-c camera above K-7. Yes, why not. If Hoya has put in the cash to make Pentax a brand to count on in the future a lot of R&D is needed. Imo, the best place to put the newly obtained results are in a comparably high spec camera and from there let it spill into the lower series. K-7 is not ground breaking performance wize, but delivers what's expected in its class and does it in a unique package.
If much R&D is done, I'm sure that the findings and ambition does not stop at a semi-pro level.

One year from now, the K-7 is old and gets a "Super" suffix, becoming the middle camera.

Point 2 needs no comment.

Point 3; The FF can also be instead of the upper spec. camera in the first point. I have little belief that Pentax can put too many models out on the market. Sure the big boys can, but having a 5% market share is not easy if not pumping in money like Sony.

The lens designers must have something to do. I don't think that they all are working on WR'ing the current 17-70 and 55-300. Nor do I think that they are all occupied with a few 645D-lenses.

Point 4; A micro format camera. I'm sure they are looking at it. But I guess Pentax won't be even close to pioneering such format until they see how the Pana/Oly offerings makes it on the market.
10-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Point 4; A micro format camera. I'm sure they are looking at it. But I guess Pentax won't be even close to pioneering such format until they see how the Pana/Oly offerings makes it on the market.
I would love to see a micro mount that uses our K lenses. But at the rate Pentax moves (which certainly could change given steps this year - the new K-7, a well developed upgrade in the K-x that was completely hidden from rumor) I still don't see them making a micro-mount camera before panny/olympus have completely cornered the market - in 2 years there will be more adapters than you can shake a stick at - there are already ones available that enable the aperture, and will probably have AF at some point as well.

Perhaps they would do well to leave the micro-mount to Samsung, and share R&D on adapter development for the K mount.

What was this thread about again? Oh yeah, whatever we want, haha.
10-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Next year Pentax will launch a white K-7 and will begin shipping their fresh range of blow dryers.
10-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #26

OGL may be onto something, he's been right before about other releases, K-7 & K-X. There has also been no recent lens road map. The road map would be a dead giveaway of future plans especially if new FA or D-FA lenses were on it.

The market is big enough to support multiple camera formats. Hoya bought Pentax to make money. Hoya/Pentax will do that by being more aggressive and expanding their lineup and market share. Just selling one line of cameras and lenses (APS-C) doesn't seem like a plan for growth.

I'm really looking forward to a K Mount FF DSLR and new D-FA lenses and will definitely purchase them when they are made available. Hoya/Pentax sold too many APS-C cameras and lenses to just walk away from that part of the market. I don't believe APS-C owners have anything to be worried about. I'm glad Hoya/Pentax is passing over Micro 4/3 like Leica did and are focusing on other products.

1. New camera with crop-sensor with 8-9 fps (higher specs than K-7).
Second half of 2010.
P.S. K-7 goes to lower $900-1000.

2. 645D will be launched on spring, 2010. Very good featured. Very good price.

Sensor - two options Not SONY.

4. Micro-APS system will announced too. Maybe it will be the camera like Leica X1 with 40 mm lens. Not clear.

Is it beyond Hoya's power?

Last edited by Angevinn; 10-02-2009 at 11:59 AM.
10-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #27
and
Veteran Member

whatever the rumors, it is strange that there has been no new lens roadmap for so long.
2010... well this thread can get long by then
10-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #28

1. New camera with crop-sensor with 8-9 fps (higher specs than K-7).
Second half of 2010.
P.S. K-7 goes to lower $900-1000.

2. 645D will be launched on spring, 2010. Very good featured. Very good price.

Sensor - two options Not SONY.

4. Micro-APS system will announced too. Maybe it will be the camera like Leica X1 with 40 mm lens. Not clear.

Is it beyond Hoya's power?
Wishful thinking?!
10-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #29
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
I doubt that very much. Pentax has always had a few years gap between flagship models - and the K7 is clearly a flagship model.
It may appear to us all that K-7 is a flagship model, but for the record, those guys who developed K-7 certainly don't think that at all. This is not a speculation. This has been printed many times in Japanese photography magazines in the context of interviews with guys who developed K-7.
10-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #30
Veteran Member

It's TRUTH.
How can you know their plans up through 2010 for sure when you're looking for TC info? https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/74843-there-any-info-a...erter-sdm.html

I can't believe you know anything about 5+ lenses plus 2+ new SYSTEMS...not just bodies...when you have no info about the TC

Some bold claims with no substantiation...