Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2009, 03:05 AM   #106
RaduA

Japanese August sales

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Where can one find those sales charts?
Here you go:

August 2008: Google Translate

The sum for the top ten models is 77% the rest 23% are all the other models.

1) Canon has 3 models in top 10 with a measurable market share of 34% + whatever they have from the rest of models I'd say 8-10% more;
2) Nikon has 2 models in top 10 with 22.5% market share + whatever they have from the rest of models - again only my impression without any solid numbers would be 7-8 percent more;
3) Olympus has the E-P1 in top 10 with 8.8% market share + the rest of dslrs they sold - probably another 2-3%;
4) Panasonic with 2 models in top 10 with 5.2% market share (that was before GF-1) - virtually nothing more since they had nothing beside G(H)1;
5) Hoya with K-m in top 10 with 4.1% market share + sales of K-7 and earlier models - I hope at least 1.5-2.5% more;
6) Sony with one model in top 10 with 2.4% market share +whatever they have from the rest of models - probably at least 3% more considering the huge number of cameras they sell;

I'll get back with September numbers.

Radu

10-06-2009, 03:16 AM   #107
RaduA

Japanese September sales

September 2008: Google Translate

The sum for the top ten models is 77.8% the rest 22.2% are all the other models.

1) Canon has 2 models in top 10 with a measurable market share of 37.9% + whatever they have from the rest of models I'd say 8-10% more;
2) Nikon has 3 models in top 10 with 20.39% market share + whatever they have from the rest of models - again only my impression without any solid numbers would be 7-8 percent more;
3) Panasonic with 3 models in top 10 with 10.4% market share (the launch month of GF-1) - virtually nothing more since they have nothing more in production;
4) Olympus has the E-P1 in top 10 with 5.81% market share and falling month to month as its novelty starts to fade + the rest of dslrs they sold - probably another 2-3%;
5) Hoya with K-m in top 10 with 3.3% market share + sales of K-7 and earlier models - I hope at least 1.5-2.5% more;
6) Sony has no camera in top 10 which means no Sony model had at least 2.1% market share +whatever they have from the rest of models - probably at least 4-5% more considering the huge number of cameras they sell;

Radu
10-06-2009, 04:01 AM   #108
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
at least 5 new lenses. as for date - it's hard to say. approx. 1-1.5 year.
the best way - October/November, 2010, the worst - spring 2011.
What I thought.
Formula to produce excellent FF glass is already there.
Just a matter of adding the extra contacts, adding SDM to some and rebranding with DFA or DFA* labels...
Would be a good move to release all at the same time as the FF cam...
10-06-2009, 04:15 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Pentax have always had a good reputation for top glass and camera's built for "real" photographers. Given their improving public profile with the K7 and the Kx (that will really open some eyes) the release of a FF DSLR will attract a lot of attention. Serious photographers who want big prints and big headroom want FF. I would be the first in line for a Pentax FF. And knowing Pentax there will probably be some surprises, they always seem to deliver more than you expect!

10-06-2009, 05:26 AM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
What I thought.
Formula to produce excellent FF glass is already there.
Just a matter of adding the extra contacts, adding SDM to some and rebranding with DFA or DFA* labels...
Yes and no, some designs can be used as is, others probably not.
Look at Sony and their Minolta 35/1.4 they reissued as is. Laughable and utter crap. Once it probably was a good lens (at least).
10-06-2009, 05:52 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Here you go:
---
Cheers, some interesting figures!
10-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The FF market cannot be compared to the micro 4/3.
Different clientelle, different needs.
If it was about making money, Pentax wouldn't be where it is now after so many years in business...
Thats why they ended up being overtaken by Hoya after 10 years of muddled strategic planning, bungling executive management and a board full of banks and asset managers.

Hoya are very seriously interested in running a viable business and they have excellent credentials in that regard. Best thing that ever happened to Pentax.

10-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #113
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Cheers, some interesting figures!
You're welcome!

Radu
10-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #114

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote

So if you want to keep with APSC, Pentax is an extremely nice choice.
- Compact cameras,
- Nice features sets,
- Best ascending and descending compatibility between any brand,
- Superb lens choice.

If you want 35mm sensors for any reason, move to another brand, Pentax is not able to answer here. And the argument "I have invested in FF glass, I can't move" is not valid. Regular reports says that need to upgrade your glass when getting the latest FF bodies. Only the best glass remain, and this one doesn't go down in value so you can resell it.

Guillaume
I believe that there are a lot of Pentax owners that appreciate good glass and good bodies and good value. The good value aspect puts them in the sub $2,000 class of camera. Yes, they would like FF if it can be in this price range. But, they are happy to wait with a very good quality APS-C system. Pentax has waited too until they can deliver a FF for under $2,000. I think there is a logic to this and not necessarily a reason to leave Pentax because you would like FF today. Some, like me, can wait if the price is right and the quality is very good today.

Sony is just now offering a sub-$2,000 FF, but they have not updated their A-700 APS-C camera. Pentax, however, has better APS-C lens lineup and better body to wait for FF camera and to keep as a compliment when it comes (ala Nikon D300 & d700).
10-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #115
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Thats why they ended up being overtaken by Hoya after 10 years of muddled strategic planning, bungling executive management and a board full of banks and asset managers.

Hoya are very seriously interested in running a viable business and they have excellent credentials in that regard. Best thing that ever happened to Pentax.
That's good inside knowledge to have.
Worth looking forward to Pentax's prospects now...
10-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got new info - FF could be cheaper than we expect.
How is this guy in a place as isolated as Siberia the source of all this news! It must be via the internet.

Kidding aside, where will Pentax source the FF sensors from and can they get it sub-$1,000 which is in the ballpark of what Sony charges? I can see Samsung being able to produce more efficiently than anyone else but I'm not sure whether they are so inclined. They could be if their fabs are underutilized, and that is a distinct possibility given the economy. Cypress and their FillFactory? I don't have a clue of their capabilities.
10-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #117
Veteran Member

FF is the growing part of DSLR market. It will be more than 7% now.
Show me the data. Definitely not the case in Japan. All the FF cameras combined accounts for less than 3% in Japan. Growing? Not nearly keeping pace with APS-C and hybrid cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash:
The FF market cannot be compared to the micro 4/3.
Different clientelle, different needs.
Of course they are very different as far as target users is concerned.
But Pentax's potential FF camera and Pentax's potential mirrorless camera are identical in their source of R&D budget, marketing budget, R&D engineers and manufacturing. So Pentax would have to choose one of the two if they were to expand beyond their current DSLR model line-up. And I doubt they have the resource to develop both types of cameras requiring new lens system.
10-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #118

Samsung really knocked it out of the park when they designed the CMOS sensor for the Pentax K20D, the sensor was very cutting edge.

Samsung revised their CMOS sensor again for use in the Pentax K-7 to keep it cutting edge.

Read the article here:

DSLR Image Sensor Innovation ? Who Is Challenging Canon and Nikon?s lead? - Chipworks Inside Angle | Blog on Semiconductor International

It looks like Canon isn't quite keeping up with development (no basic changes in three years), but Nikon is somewhat. The FF sensors from Sony are very expensive, noisy and have muddled detail.

For Video and Live View a CMOS sensor will be necessary versus a CCD sensor. Samsung has been rumored to be working on CMOS FF sensors. I hope to see a Samsung FF CMOS sensor in the upcoming Pentax FF DSLR!

QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
Kidding aside, where will Pentax source the FF sensors from and can they get it sub-$1,000 which is in the ballpark of what Sony charges? I can see Samsung being able to produce more efficiently than anyone else but I'm not sure whether they are so inclined. They could be if their fabs are underutilized, and that is a distinct possibility given the economy. Cypress and their FillFactory? I don't have a clue of their capabilities.
10-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #119
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
No, I guess Wendy B. told him about 645D and FF with multiple FF lenses ready for Photokina 08, now he has all this "true info" from another source.

Enter Bendy W.!!!!!!!

Radu
I wish wendyb did come back. She was fun!
10-06-2009, 11:06 PM   #120
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I checked out who this WendyB was - I must have totally missed out... she was some piece of work. Dramatically entertaining.

I don't suppose there has been litigation brought on PF by her/him/it as promised...
Or if Ben's been invited to any more of these secret Pentax rendezvous he/she supposedly attends...