Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Good review. Maybe "Value" and "Ergonomics" should be a notch or two higher.

I wish they would release Digital Camera Utility 4 for older bodies.

Looking at ISO800 samples full screen, I am a bit confused that K-7 (and K20D) looks to have much more contrast and saturation than D300 or 50D. Did they shoot in vivid mode or what?

10-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #17

I'm not sure how Nikon and Canon work, but they knocked the K-7 for not being able to "interactively" change settings on the info display, while simultaneously pointing out there's one touch buttons and dials for those same settings. Maybe it's the painkillers for the root canal killing my reading comprehension, or maybe it's because my camera isn't actually in my hand at the moment, but how is something both non-interactive AND changed easily by rolling a dial at the same time?
10-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #18

Overall, a good review, I thought. But I had to laugh at this understatement:

"The EOS 50D and to a lesser degree the Nikon D300 are more heavy handed on the luminance noise which results in cleaner but also visibly softer, slightly less detailed images."

Check out the Canon results, "slightly less detailed images?" Hmm . . . I'm not anti Canon--they're just making software choices based on their philosophy, and there is a logical aesthetic there--I just don't see why the understatement.

Pentax K-7 Review: 29. Compared to (Higher ISO): Digital Photography Review

Besides, if you're strongly opposed to luminance noise and you want this washed out high ISO in jpg, can't you up the in-camera NR? What does this section of the review add? NR has been shown already in raw and jpg. It's funny. Most sections of their reviews are so carefully done, but as someone already mentioned earlier in this thread, they toss in this jpg-heavy measure of IQ, even though they carefully and, I think, accurately show raw results and accurately describe NR settings that allow you to customize NR in jpgs.

I also wish the weather/temperature advantage were a bit more forefront. That's a big plus (I don't think the cold-weather advantage was mentioned).

Anyway, glad to see the review.
10-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wowtip Quote
Looking at ISO800 samples full screen, I am a bit confused that K-7 (and K20D) looks to have much more contrast and saturation than D300 or 50D. Did they shoot in vivid mode or what?
They use the default mode for the JPG tests. And that happens to be "Bright" on the K20D and K-7 when the interface language is not set to "Japanese".

I believe this ("Bright" as default) was done in reaction to DPReview's comments about the Pentax JPG not being sharp enough in the past...

10-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Wow WOW WOW!

With this K-7 review, dpreview says that noise from a K20D (in RAW) is significantly LESS than from a D300 or 50D (and K-7 would be on par with D300 and still better than 50D).

Where was this statement when they tested the K20D?

Incredible ...
10-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Wow WOW WOW!

With this K-7 review, dpreview says that noise from a K20D (in RAW) is significantly LESS than from a D300 or 50D (and K-7 would be on par with D300 and still better than 50D).

Incredible ...
EXACTLY! Now, when Pentax stops selling the K20D they just mention: Yes, by the way, the IQ of the K20D was superior to anything alse in the APS-C class. Bad luck that the new K-7 is not so hot. Do not upgrade.
Very unfair IMO.
10-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm just glad that it got an unabashed "Highly Recommended," rather than the recent "Recommended (barely)" or, "Highly Recommended (if you shoot RAW) that recent models have gotten. DP Review is definitely a high iso, Jpeg oriented review and if you get those things right or even comparable, you'll get good marks.

10-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #23

Wow WOW WOW!

Incredible ...
You are absolutely correct. According to page 16 of DPR k-7 review RAW Noise on k20d is better than N300 and C50. But if you look at k20d review on DPR, you can see that there is only JPG noise comparison, and no RAW noise comparison. But what is interesting, that we can see that this is not practice that in that time there was no RAW noise tests on DPR reviews. K20d review on DPR was on June 25, 2008, but in Canon 450/Rebel XSi review that was on DPR on May 23, 2008, there is RAW noise tests.
DPR reviews - Digital Camera Product Reviews: Digital Photography Review
10-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

If you like film like grain, the k-7 jpeg output with NR set to low is very impressive! I'm wondering if they selectively target red chroma noise (which the human visual system is very sensitive to.)
10-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Anyways, this is a positive review, and pentax needed it from dpreview, the review stated the facts, and interpreted them unbiased, to my understanding.

I feel thankful even tough I'm not Pentax owner or worker, just using pentax equipment.

I believe that feature pack and it's build and handling is responsible for them giving a highly recommended mark.. even though image quality is not a step forward, everything else - is..
10-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
I'm not sure how Nikon and Canon work, but they knocked the K-7 for not being able to "interactively" change settings on the info display, while simultaneously pointing out there's one touch buttons and dials for those same settings. Maybe it's the painkillers for the root canal killing my reading comprehension, or maybe it's because my camera isn't actually in my hand at the moment, but how is something both non-interactive AND changed easily by rolling a dial at the same time?
The way it works on the 5D2 is as follows. There is a rocker button on the back. It serves multiple purposes, for instance it is how you move around a zoomed image in playback. But the main function is when you're in shooting mode, you press it and you get the "info" screen showing all the various parameters (much like the K7 has). By rocking that same switch the various parameters get highlighted. You then move your thumb down just a bit to the big wheel on the back and spin it to change what is highlighted, or use the wheel under your index finger. A light press on the shutter and the display goes off and you're ready to shoot, or you can press the "set" button in the middle of the wheel to confirm or you can press the rocker to quit the display.

It allows for very fast working, and you can change a number of parameters without moving your fingers around to hit other buttons. That said it can be slower if you know exactly which single parameter you want to change - in that case the K7 is quicker. but if you're looking for an overall picture with quick change ability, then the Canon implementation is a little better.

WIth practice any of them can be fast. Moving from Pentax to Canon I got the hang of the Canon pretty quickly, though there are still some things that drive me nuts. But I do like this overview UI.
10-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Wow WOW WOW!

Incredible ...
Yeah, they were probably subject to a non-disclosure clause by Canon and Nikon
But overall a balanced and good review.
10-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #28
Nubi

A great review!! But it makes no difference whatsoever with me because I already own it. You know, it makes me feel sort of good inside, but who give a lick about that?

Last edited by Nubi; 10-02-2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Because I don't care
10-03-2009, 04:24 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
If you like film like grain, the k-7 jpeg output with NR set to low is very impressive!
Yeah. In fact, after experimenting, I've turned of high-ISO NR completely.
10-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #30

I only shoot RAW now on my K200 and don't use in camera noise reduction at all. I use Aperture, Noise Ninja and Focus Magic.
So for me, it seems like a no brainer that the K7 would not be a bad upgrade... But I will still wait to see the Kx before I do.... Unless the K7's price drops..