Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interview with Ned Bunnell on Photo.net

Looks like the 645D medium format camera is coming in 2010. Interesting interview.

Photo.net Interview with Ned Bunnell, President of Pentax

10-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for posting this, really interesting.

One thing that I think stood out is that Ned confirmed that they really read what we post in our forums (fora?) and send reports on this back to Japan. This means if you have a complaint or a new idea, always voice it here or any other large forum.
10-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
emr

Thanks for posting this. I didn't now Ned's got such a background in photography.
10-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Thanks for posting this. I didn't now Ned's got such a background in photography.
That is why Ned is so good for use PENTAX users.. He is not just a bean counting suit running a camera company.. He is one of us a Photographer (:

10-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I think we are in good hands.
10-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by wowtip Quote
Thanks for posting this, really interesting.

One thing that I think stood out is that Ned confirmed that they really read what we post in our forums (fora?) and send reports on this back to Japan. This means if you have a complaint or a new idea, always voice it here or any other large forum.
Yes, Ned does send back lots feedback from various forums(fora?). However, those guys in Japan, especially the product development department guys, sure do watch and read us often as well. Many of them read and speak very good English. This one guy, Mr.Wakadai, a young fellow who had put in a lot of work into K-7...... Very passionate guy at that.

The interview was fantastic. Ned certainly thinks out side of the box, so to speak. He is a tremendous asset to us Pentax fans, and for the company. He has been around the block a few times for sure.

Last edited by Nubi; 10-02-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Because I need to go pee "right now."
10-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Great interview. Based on the comments regarding the K7 and 645D, I will stick with my no Full Frame Pentax prediction. I am perfectly happy with APS-C.

Do you feel that Pentax is able to sway or influence the market?

The K-7 is a good example of our niche. Our engineers and everyone in the company really believed that there’s no need to build an advanced SLR and make it the size of a giant SUV. An advanced SLR can be really small, the ergonomics can be really well thought-out, and deliver a camera that’s comfortable to use. Our Limited lenses, the small compact prime lenses we produce, are another example of how we think differently and understand the needs of the photographers. We’re producing these products because we think that’s what a lot of customers and photographers want. Does that influence other companies? I think it probably does, but we’re not doing it to influence other companies. We’re doing it because this is the way we think photography should be thought of and these are the tools we think will resonate with the people we want to do business with.

and

As we announced in Japan, we were focused on getting some new cameras out, which happened to be the K-7 and the K-x. From a business standpoint, it was much more important for us to solidify our APS-C sized sensor strategy. We recently announced that now that we’ve solidified our small frame sensor strategy, we’re restarting development of the 645D and the target is releasing it sometime in 2010. As we get more firm dates, we’ll let everyone know.
10-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the link, a good read

10-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Good info here.
Thanks for the link.
Ned's a champ.