Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Franchise?

Does anyone know if Pentax has toyed with the idea of having it's own franchise brick and morter store? It could be small like Radio Shack size and placed strategically in certain areas the way that Apple Stores are. They could sell photographic equipment as well. For instance, camera bags, backpacks, tripods, lighting and muslins and anything with the Pentax name on it. I think it would really help the reputation of Pentax to be able to get your hands on a camera even if there was only one store in every state. Does anyone think that it would be viable as a franchise?

10-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm not sure if it'd work... Sony have a whole range of products and I can't figure out how they turn a profit!
10-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by FunkyMonk Quote
Does anyone know if Pentax has toyed with the idea of having it's own franchise brick and morter store? It could be small like Radio Shack size and placed strategically in certain areas the way that Apple Stores are. They could sell photographic equipment as well. For instance, camera bags, backpacks, tripods, lighting and muslins and anything with the Pentax name on it. I think it would really help the reputation of Pentax to be able to get your hands on a camera even if there was only one store in every state. Does anyone think that it would be viable as a franchise?
Sounds like a good idea, especially if Ned can bring the 100 colors of K-x, with NBA/MBL/NFL/College edition of K-x and stuff like that. But I doubt it. They barely have their stuff at the regular camera stores....
10-03-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

There used to be one on Robson St. in Vancouver BC, Canada ...back in the LX era.

10-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #5
Inactive Account

There rents'd sure be low.
10-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Does anyone know if Pentax has toyed with the idea of having it's own franchise brick and morter store?
I thought about it myself. Something like the Leica stores.

Let's see.

A country like France or UK would probably need 3, Germany more like 4 flagship stores to reach the market. The US would be another 10. So, let's say about 30 in the world. Of course, Apple flagship stores are much larger!

With limited store opening hours, a store may be runnable by 3 persons, say 100 worldwide. Say 100k$/y each including the overhead of the store itself, and management. Or 10 M$ a year. Minimum.

With about 350,000 dSLRs sold per year, this would be about 30$ per dSLR.

Maybe, some of this amount could be actually earned by selling cameras

But that would be my question:

Do we want Pentax to rise 30$ in price to have Pentax flagship stores?
10-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I thought about it myself. Something like the Leica stores.

Let's see.

A country like France or UK would probably need 3, Germany more like 4 flagship stores to reach the market. The US would be another 10. So, let's say about 30 in the world. Of course, Apple flagship stores are much larger!

With limited store opening hours, a store may be runnable by 3 persons, say 100 worldwide. Say 100k$/y each including the overhead of the store itself, and management. Or 10 M$ a year. Minimum.

Maybe, some of this amount could be actually earned by selling cameras

if it meant being able to enjoy such a store, and be able to talk to real people, and people who know their stuff regarding pentax equipment and test things with my own hands before buying, and being able to get all of my accessories in one place. heck yes its worth it. for me it is. sounds like a really neat concept.
10-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
---

I'd think for all but a handful of people, the answer is no. Especially $30 on an annual basis, which is what we're talking about.

Not for the people comfortable shopping over the Internet. Not for the people out of range of one of the stores. Not for the people in/around major cities that have other camera stores that already fill the "touch n hold" market niche.

IMO Leica and Apple sell a lot of their product on the perception that the product validates the user, so people are more willing to go out of their way to obtain them. Pentax doesn't have the mythology to pull that off.

I think it would be cool to have all of Pentax's stuff in one place, I just don't know how often I'd go out of my way to visit. Now, make it a sales/service/rental center, and that's a whole other story.

10-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
if it meant being able to enjoy such a store, and be able to talk to real people, and people who know their stuff regarding pentax equipment and test things with my own hands before buying, and being able to get all of my accessories in one place. heck yes its worth it. for me it is. sounds like a really neat concept.
Except no one would buy a camera from them, they would just go there to "touch" the latest models and then buy them cheaper on Amazon...
10-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
I'd think for all but a handful of people, the answer is no. Especially $30 on an annual basis, which is what we're talking about.

Not for the people comfortable shopping over the Internet. Not for the people out of range of one of the stores. Not for the people in/around major cities that have other camera stores that already fill the "touch n hold" market niche.

IMO Leica and Apple sell a lot of their product on the perception that the product validates the user, so people are more willing to go out of their way to obtain them. Pentax doesn't have the mythology to pull that off.

I think it would be cool to have all of Pentax's stuff in one place, I just don't know how often I'd go out of my way to visit. Now, make it a sales/service/rental center, and that's a whole other story.
The other side of that coin is that you can't find Apple products substantially cheaper on the internet. Apple has done a fantastic job controlling their distribution model to maintain a price point. Granted they did it by offering minimal margins between dealer cost and MSRP. I speak from experience being a former purchasing manager at an independent Apple dealer.

If pentax did that, I think they would be available in more places in the real world and maybe more independent camera stores would be successful. When the pricing field is level, more people are willing to buy from brick and mortar stores, but not if the price online is 30% less...
10-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
Except no one would buy a camera from them, they would just go there to "touch" the latest models and then buy them cheaper on Amazon...
a majority yes. I wont argue, but I think there would still be people who would buy at the store. I do it with film, where I could get it cheaper online. but its not the same, when I can go to my local photo store and talk about different films and developing with the store owner or one of the employees. and all the developing is done there under my supervision. its the whole "experience" and knowledge that will get people to open their wallets, not always just a cheaper price.
10-06-2009, 04:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
definetly yes. there are still people who will pay extra to buy in a brick and mortar store, and i am one of them. if the price would be even closer to "internet" price, it would be even better. i would pay the 30bucks per camera without blinking for what seamuis has mentioned.