Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

CNET UK review K-7

I don't care if the K-7 gets a bad review... But when they no nothing about the current Pentax system.. Makes me My SDM DA*s are very quiet!!!

Pentax K-7 Full Review, Digital Camera Reviews on CNET UK

10-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's apparent from the opening paragraph where the reviewers loyalties lie.
I can't see how anyone is influenced to buy a camera from shuch a short, uninformative "full" review.
10-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
Nubi

Agreed.

This review is stupid, very much from the first paragraph. The cost performance is the strength of this camera, although when I saw K-x with that reported price tag, i didn't think that K-7 was a bit overpriced. But that stupid thought didn't for long....
K-7 is the best value there is in DSLR market at the moment.
10-04-2009, 01:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the 8.8 rating was ok til I read the conclusion. it is more like the author was suggesting that you should buy the 50D for the same amount of price or get the D300s than getting the K-7. it is more of a give-away really. and not to mention the debate that it must go with good glass. isn't it the same with Nikon and Canon? if I remember correctly, Canikon lenses are still much expensive than Pentax glass even with the increase. oh my.

10-04-2009, 04:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

And they also suggest that Pentax lenses are sub-standard. Interestingly, no other manufacturer has a prime lenses line like Pentax. I shouldn't read garbage anymore.
10-04-2009, 04:33 AM   #6

QuoteQuote:
The Pentax K-7 is a great camera, but you've got to find some decent lenses to go with it.
There aren't any decent K-mount lenses?? Really.......news to me.
10-04-2009, 04:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I quit reading CNET reviews some time ago as I found them useless and uninformed. Rob Lawton's "review" is proof that CNET is on the "take" an he is just a Canikon tool.

10-04-2009, 04:57 AM   #8

The first problem is that the K-7 feels quite lumpy and crude compared to rival cameras from Canon, Nikon and Olympus, although it does have the edge over Sony's dSLRs.

Most reviewers praise Pentax ergonomics, hell, DPReview said the K20D was "best of the best". Lumpy and crude, that's just a weird statement. Ergonomics is a personal thing, but I couldn't say any DSLR was "lumpy and crude", most of them feel fairly similar overall.

Until Pentax introduces a smooth and silent autofocus system across the board, like Nikon's Silent Wave Motor or Canon's Ultrasonic Motor, it's always going to be at a disadvantage.

Wow, it helps doing at least ONE google search on the product you are reviewing! How embarassing to be that incompetant. Maybe by "across the board" he means all Pentax lenses should have SDM? Funny, not all Canon/Nikon are their silent system either...
10-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have mentioned it in here many times regarding CNET. I find their reviews are consistently terrible and the things they choose to highlight and criticize, regardless of the product seems to always be the things I find matter the least. When reading reviews, for anything, I avoid theirs at all costs.

Jason
10-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

it's more like K-7's Fool's Review.
10-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

WOW

Even consumers reports does better reviews then that.

BUT...look at the review of the Canon 50D.

"The Canon's JPEGs don't have any great bite to them and they're certainly no crisper than those you might get from the 12-megapixel Nikon D300 or D90, say. "

Its easy to see who pays the big bucks.
10-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty poor review. The initial paragraph implies that all of the K7 competitors have HD video and similar features to the K7, yet at the end they mention specifically the D300 and 50D, neither of which has video.

Just my personal opinion, but it seems to me that their reviews say one thing and then they give a number that doesn't seem to mean anything. They gave the K7 an 8.8, the 50D an 8.3 and the D300s an 8.9, but then, they say at the end of the K7 review that 50D is nicer.
10-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #13
Forum Member

The internet should be policed just for idiots like this reviewer. This kind of BS review should be illegal. The reviewer basically lies about a product in order to sell another product?
They couldn't even get past the first paragraph without linking you to Canon and Nikon. I thought DPR was bad but this is much worse.

CNET is pathetic.
10-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

as long as people make a connection or comparison to other brands as early as the first paragraph, you can almost be certain that it would be biased. the review was influenced by stating other brands before it was even able rather unable to point out the product which is in question. first paragraph, the K-7 is blah blah blah but Canikon is blah blah blah. second paragraph, the K-7 is blah blah blah, but the Canikon is blah blah blah. I haven't seen any comment coming from the writer stating that he as a photographer is not influenced by marketing or free of any biased opinion.

the article does illustrate the writer's lack of knowledge about the Pentax system and it's lenses. and rather dismiss it as something inferior, nevermind the 8.8 rating as it being contradicted by the content of the review. it is incoherent and inconsistent as well. they could had just rated the K-7 a 7 for that statement. I'm deeply embarrassed that the writer even consider it as a full review without knowing much.
10-07-2009, 03:45 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Here's a question:

Twelve-odd years ago, would a computer magazine have reviewed a Nikon F6? A PZ-1P? Leica M6?