Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #16
Nubi

The rest of the artical, which was really the page 2 out of 2, is pretty interesting. It talks about how in the previous models the end of planning and design stage did not coincide very well with the production stage including mock-ups, delaying up to 113 days. Then they looked at other manufactures' products and their cycle, and then based on that they came up with their 3 year plan/roadmap, forecasting what would be the acceptable normal specs at that time. They actually draw up what they called "Future Prediction blueprint," writing in MP size and fps, expected prices and so on. This vice president dude called it "autopsy" of their former self to examine how to cut cost and shorten product cycle. So that you know, they also said that they came up with 100 color idea to attract female buyers.

10-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #17
Nubi

Oh, I forgot to tell you, that in it they say that they have no plan whatsoever, zero, to produce FF camera, and that the rumor about mirrorless is baseless, and that they are planning on bringing back a film camera due out before Christmas called K7F, and the 645D will be sold at $3,999.

Last edited by Nubi; 10-07-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Because all of the above is a complete BS
10-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
T So that you know, they also said that they came up with 100 color idea to attract female buyers.
*facepalm.* Put two dials on that puppy, then we'll talk colors.

OK. Peeve, here. In what world are the *advertisers* hired by the *number crunchers* removed from the *engineers* supposed to have any damn clue what *colors* girls are gonna like, if they don't happen to be worried about having a hard enough time being taken seriously waving a camera around as it is?

"Here, have a bunch of colors."

They're all wrong, who sold you this, Crayola?

I mean, really. I know it's only the K-m replacement, but engineers and stuffed shirts telling each other 'what girls want?' Equation for comedy.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-07-2009 at 09:59 PM.
10-07-2009, 11:10 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Oh, I forgot to tell you, that in it they say that they have no plan whatsoever, zero, to produce FF camera, and that the rumor about mirrorless is baseless, and that they are planning on bringing back a film camera due out before Christmas called K7F, and the 645D will be sold at $3,999.
Hey Nubi,

Thanks for posting the extra information. Mr. Suzuki is keeping his Pentax cards close to his chest. Suzuki seems to be the opposite of former Leica CEO, Steven Lee. Mr. Lee leaked information about the upcoming FF M9 in 2008 and sent Leica's sales into a nosedive (the M8 and M8.2 were cropped sensors). The leak seemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back and Lee was shown to the door.

Leica Camera sacks CEO Steven K Lee news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

Would announcing future plans really send Pentax sales into a nosedive? Mr. Suzuki must be very focused on selling K-X and K-7 cameras with DA lenses. They are great products but I would really like a Pentax FF DSLR.

Last edited by Angevinn; 10-07-2009 at 11:26 PM.
10-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
What I have figured out by now is that Hoya doesn't really give any hints as to what it is going to do before it does it. My feeling is that they will keep Pentax, hoping to grow the business. A few months back, there was an interview with the CEO of Hoya, where he said that they were looking into the possibility of acquisitions and that they were in a good position to that because of their profit margins.

As to Samsung, there are so many rumors about them, but the biggest thing I see is generalized randomness. Their sensor people seem really good and are moving forward well, but their camera folks are constantly flying new ideas that seem unlinked to the last big idea they generated. You have to have a coherent plan and that seems to be completely lacking with Samsung. Maybe it would get better if they bought Pentax, but I doubt it.
Of course it'd be much easier for Samsung if they just bought Pentax. They're not a camera company.

Samsung is big into the HDTV/home theater concept just like Sony and Panasonic and don't want to fall behind (what do you think the primary delivery method will be for photos and video in the future? Paper and super8 projectors?) They'd love to have a high-end line of cameras to go with their high end line of TVs; picking up Pentax cheap like Sony did with Minolta would be the perfect turnkey solution. The fit is a natural, they do their high-end sensors and have even rebranded Pentax cameras under their own name. But the problem is Hoya. They turned Pentax around and now want to make a little money off it. Can you blame Hoya for not wanting to just give a classic valuable name brand away, especially when it appears to be improving?

What if we're looking at a game of cat-and-mouse right now? Samsung wants Pentax cheap, Hoya wants to sell Pentax for a good price. Samsung quits rebranding Pentax bodies and even rolls out a scarecrow (the NX). Pentax responds by hinting they may do their own micro4/3 type camera (talk is even cheaper than plastic camera mockups). Samsung offers a lowball bid for the company so Hoya comes out and hints the company might be for sale (=you're not offering us enough Samsung, we may look elsewhere).

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out, if I were a betting man I'd say there's a pretty good chance they'll end up getting Pentax, just not for the blowout price they were hoping for
10-09-2009, 12:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richtrav Quote
It'll be interesting to see how it pans out, if I were a betting man I'd say there's a pretty good chance they'll end up getting Pentax, just not for the blowout price they were hoping for
Having Pentax under Samsung's wing would be a good option.
10-09-2009, 12:31 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Let me think.... nope. Samsung already proved how serious they are on supporting the K-mount.
Besides, I don't think Samsung will get Pentax, ever. And I don't want to discuss endless "what if Hoya sell Pentax to..." scenarios.
Btw, can anyone give me an exact quote of what was said? Even in Japanese. Thanks.

10-09-2009, 01:43 AM   #23
Nubi

"I don't think that (Pentax) will continue to exist as a piece of Hoya's portfolio. Either to be combined with somewhere else, or it is even ok to be on its own. "

Last edited by Nubi; 10-09-2009 at 01:44 AM. Reason: word for word, this quote is
10-09-2009, 03:06 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
Don't know how big is the camera division, but think this kind of
rumors (or news) affect the company image and give somehow sense of weakness.

I remember to have read some predictions from a nikonian 2009 Predictions by Thom Hogan, they were obviously exaggerated, but....

Some people I know are considering selling all and move to another more stable brand, and more "powerful"

I do like this brand, but I'm really not loyal to a brand, becaus what matters is not the "machine" but the one who takes the photos.
10-09-2009, 06:25 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Suzuki has always been open about Pentax aquistition

Suzuki has always been open about Pentax aquistition, making his official statements on Hoya's quarterly reports.

He said before the takeover Hoya wanted Pentax Corp for Medical Imaging

Now he's letting the marketplace know he's willing to part with Pentax Cameras.

So who would want a Dslr maker who grabs 4% global marketshare? The 81% taken by CaNikon is likely impossible to counter. Panasonic came from nowhere in 2008 and they beat up Pentax too. If Panasonic had GH1 instock at USA retailers all the time they'd gain more traction against Pentax.

Japan companies tend to only be sold to Japan companies. Samsung of Korea will never be allowed Japanese Govenment approval to buy Pentax cameras division.

Either a Japan based company or group or person buys Pentax Cameras Division or they get cut loose without a buyer to sink or swim on thier own. Hoyas "profits" from Pentax Cameras come from slashing jobs, shuttering factories & selling off the land assets, shuttering the Pentax Museum, outsourcing "Pentax" logo'd point & shoot cameras production to other manufacturers. Are there any Pentax camera and slr lens factories left in Japan?

Last edited by Samsungian; 10-09-2009 at 09:31 AM.
10-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jv.pentax Quote
Don't know how big is the camera division, but think this kind of
rumors (or news) affect the company image and give somehow sense of weakness.

I remember to have read some predictions from a nikonian 2009 Predictions by Thom Hogan, they were obviously exaggerated, but....

Some people I know are considering selling all and move to another more stable brand, and more "powerful"

I do like this brand, but I'm really not loyal to a brand, becaus what matters is not the "machine" but the one who takes the photos.
Well I think he's right in that Samsung is coveting Pentax's assets, but fortunately was wrong when he predicted Pentax would have a horrible year this year. Yeah I didn't think about the strictness the Japanese government puts on foreign takeovers, but you would think there would be ways around that. Hoya has pretty much come out and put the "For Sale" sign out on the front lawn, and the list of potential Japanese companies that would be interested in it has to be pretty short. I don't have enough expertise as to how Japanese business/gov't works, what does the government do when a Japanese company is faced with going under? Just let it sink if a Japanese buyer can't be found?
10-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #27
Nubi

This woman said that Nikon and Canon are both very interested in buying Pentax.

Last edited by Nubi; 10-09-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Because it is ridiculous
10-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Suzuki has always been open about Pentax aquistition, making his official statements on Hoya's quarterly reports.
That's good corporate governance.

He said before the takeover Hoya wanted Pentax Corp for Medical Imaging
That was stated during the takeover of Pentax, and in retrospect it was a shrewd move to beat down the asking price the old Pentax board was seeking for the takeover. That's such an obvious corporate negotiation tactic because if Hoya was a pure asset raider and interested only in the medical division, it would undercut the negotiating position of the former Pentax board. That's savvy corporate strategy.

Now he's letting the marketplace know he's willing to part with Pentax Cameras.
We can't be certain if that was stated out of context or lost in translation but even if it is true, that just shows good corporate thinking as any corporation making overtures for a takeover would drive the price of Hoya stock upwards and increase shareholder value

Either a Japan based company or group or person buys Pentax Cameras Division or they get cut loose without a buyer to sink or swim on thier own. Hoyas "profits" from Pentax Cameras come from slashing jobs, shuttering factories & selling off the land assets, shuttering the Pentax Museum, outsourcing "Pentax" logo'd point & shoot cameras production to other manufacturers. Are there any Pentax camera and slr lens factories left in Japan?
As in any corporate restructuring, after having invested in a takeover, it is normal to trim the fat and streamline corporate efficiency. If you haven't read the economic news lately, Japan had seen manufacturing output fall dramatically during this economic crisis. Pentax hasn't really been badly hit compared to the other camera makers in part due to the streamlining you have mentioned. (eg, Nikon's record quarterly loss in contrast)

Please note under the previous Pentax management, they also closed factories and downsized but that's because they continued to roll out crap SLR film cameras that were commercial flops and were late entrants in digital SLRs. They were bleeding in the red. Hoya took over and has turned things around. By your spurious analysis, you should ask why Nikon produces the bulk of their DSLRs in Thailand and their PnS in Indonesia and China. The same outsourcing of production to lower cost centers is already the norm with so many other camera makers too.
10-14-2009, 02:35 AM   #29
Forum Member

Sell Pentax to Samsung, please!
10-14-2009, 03:49 AM   #30
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mazdamazda Quote
Sell Pentax to Samsung, please!
Why? It's the worst idea.