Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2009, 04:01 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mazdamazda Quote
Sell Pentax to Samsung, please!
Please DON'T.

Samsung have never made a single camera on their own that I would have bought. They would turn Pentax into a consumer brand like Sony and lose the name, heritage, individuality and everything else that makes Pentax uniquely special.

Plus their camera division has not been a raging success despite being around for many years. I see no evidence they have the first clue about cameras.

TVs though? Yes, they make very nice TVs. And phones.

10-14-2009, 04:03 AM   #32
Pentaxian

100% agree with the previous 2 posts.
And let's not forget, Pentax being sold is not a given
10-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #33

Hoya could split up Pentax for an easier sale: Lens to Sony, and camera div. to Sigma.
10-14-2009, 04:46 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I'd say SELL OFF the Pentax lens division to TOKINA

I'd say SELL OFF the Pentax lens division to TOKINA. They already make Pentax "co~designed" lenses in Nikon and Canon mounts. Canikon owners would benefit from buying classic full frame design Limiteds & the aps-c crop format version Limiteds too.

Not sure who to sell pentax dslr cameras to. It would have to be a Japanese company as explained to me in prior threads. No way Samsung of Korea would ever get Japan Gov't approval to be allowed to purchase Pentax dslrs from Hoya of Japan.

Hoya shuttered all the Pentax Point and Shoots plants and moved them to other manufacturers so really its just the Dslrs and often chatted about non existent 645D.

You're on to something, Tokina would be perfect company to obtain ownership of Pentax lens division,

Genius !

QuoteOriginally posted by Chocolar Quote
Hoya could split up Pentax for an easier sale: Lens to Sony, and camera div. to Sigma.

10-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I'd say SELL OFF the Pentax lens division to TOKINA. They already make Pentax "co~designed" lenses in Nikon and Canon mounts. Canikon owners would benefit from buying classic full frame design Limiteds & the aps-c crop format version Limiteds too.

Not sure who to sell pentax dslr cameras to. It would have to be a Japanese company as explained to me in prior threads. No way Samsung of Korea would ever get Japan Gov't approval to be allowed to purchase Pentax dslrs from Hoya of Japan.

Hoya shuttered all the Pentax Point and Shoots plants and moved them to other manufacturers so really its just the Dslrs and often chatted about non existent 645D.

You're on to something, Tokina would be perfect company to obtain ownership of Pentax lens division,

Genius !
This post is wrong in so many ways. Tokina is tiny and isn't going to buy anyone. Point and shoot cameras, while many are sold, are losing propositions. Nikon doesn't make their own any more either.

The only thing I can say for certain is that there are few companies right now as cash-flush as Hoya is, coming out of a difficult recession. Few companies are feeling good enough about their bottom lines to be interested in gobbling up other companies. Canon and Sony have both taken major hits in the last couple of quarters, so whether or not Hoya wants to sell, I don't see anyone bidding right now. Pentax is staying where it is at, for the time being.
10-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I also hope Pentax will never be owned by Samsung.

I would like to see Pentax in a stronger position to make a choice between different sensors. While the Samsung sensors are certainly respectable achievements, Samsung really needs to up their game if they want to beat Sony.

Why does the K-7 has a sensor with less dynamic range than the much older Nikon D300?

I fear with Pentax being part of Samsung the K-x may not have received a Sony sensor.
10-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #37
Nubi

Remember that rumor about Samsung seriously considering to bid for Canon?

10-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #38
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say SELL OFF the Pentax lens division to TOKINA. T

Genius !
Ha-ha-ha....It's funniest thing I ever heard. Tokina is the smallest company.
Tokina buys 100% of glass from Hoya.

As for Samsung - Japanese hardly sell Japanese company to Korean.
10-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #39
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Please DON'T.

Samsung have never made a single camera on their own that I would have bought. They would turn Pentax into a consumer brand like Sony and lose the name, heritage, individuality and everything else that makes Pentax uniquely special.

Plus their camera division has not been a raging success despite being around for many years. I see no evidence they have the first clue about cameras.

TVs though? Yes, they make very nice TVs. And phones.
Sorry, am not that sentimental when it comes to camera brand heritage... at the end of the day, a DSLR is just another electronic thingamajig.
10-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Omg... I am going to break down and cry in my nightmares tonight. What will happen to Pentax now? Anything's possible God, please help Pentax. I hope all will be okay. What do you guys think will happen with the price of the glass and bodies now? Will it be cheaper or more expensive now that Pentax is going to be sold off? What if they decide to close it down completely, what about our precious investments?
10-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Samsung of Korea will never be allowed Japanese Govenment approval to buy Pentax cameras division.
I wonder where this oft-repeated idea comes from? The Japanese "government" has approved all manner of sales of local firms to foreign interests. Specifically, the Financial Services Association—possibly the world's toughest financial regulator—allowed the sale of NikkoCordial, a major brokerage, to then CitiGroup in 2007. (Citi promptly flubbed it, but that's another story). Pentax has a much smaller footprint in Japan both as an employer and in business terms—NikkoCordial sold for $15B).

I think a much more relevant force is the exchange rates. In the past three years, the won has lost 2/3 of its value relative to the yen.
10-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I'm going to throw up....was this post a flame? Who gives a crap about Tokina? They might as well sell the brand to Walmart....

Yes...lets feed Canikon....they need more stuff....especially if it came from Walmart....cause the world needs something nice to turn to crap
10-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If Pentax were to be sold I would put my money on Samsung. Samsung hasn't done a DSLR since the GX20. They do have that NX micro 4/3 coming out but nothing with a mirror.

Here's a thought, what if Leica were to buy Pentax. On the one hand that association would likely boost Pentax's image. On the other hand the price of everything would quadruple :P .
10-15-2009, 05:20 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Agreed

Agreed.

Are there examples of a Korean company buying a Japanese company?

As far as Tokina buying Pentax lenses, I still like the concept. Who does pentax buy their optical glass from?

I'll guess Hoya, also.

Tokina already converts Pentax 10-17mm, 16-50mm, 50-135mm into lenses for Canon and Nikon. I wonder who'd sell more lenses, Pentax to Pentax owners or Tokina selling Pentax designed lenses to CaNikon?

Its just a thought. Obviously Hoya CEO wants to cut up his Pentax aquisition and recoup some Yen.

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Ha-ha-ha....It's funniest thing I ever heard. Tokina is the smallest company.
Tokina buys 100% of glass from Hoya.

As for Samsung - Japanese hardly sell Japanese company to Korean.

Last edited by Samsungian; 10-15-2009 at 05:26 AM.
10-15-2009, 05:35 AM   #45
ogl
Banned

Hoya could give Pentax an opportunity to be independent company again, but Hoya will have 49% of shares, Pentax - majority ownership.