Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
Inactive Account

HOYA CEO admits not keeping Pentax camera division in the HOYA group?

100色デジカメに重い宿命
http://business.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/topics/20091002/206120/?P=1

Title: The tough fate of 100 color digital camera.
Brief translation:
Since the acquisition of Pentax, HOYA works hard on analysing the whole Pentax camera development process and tries to back in "Black". However, this does not mean HOYA wants to keep the Pentax brand. HOYA CEO said: "It's unnecessary to keep Pentax camera division in the HOYA Coporation. It may be sold to other company or become a independent company itself".

Last edited by yakiniku; 10-06-2009 at 10:18 PM.
10-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where did you see "It's unnecessary to keep Pentax camera division in the HOYA Coporation. It may be sold to other company or become a independent company itself"?
I can't find it in the text. Is it your guess?
10-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Where did you see "It's unnecessary to keep Pentax camera division in the HOYA Coporation. It may be sold to other company or become a independent company itself"?
I can't find it in the text.
It's on the second page where you need to login to see it.
10-07-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by yakiniku Quote
It's on the second page where you need to login to see it.
Screen this page, translate, please. And show us.

10-07-2009, 12:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/75653-hoya-ceo-thinkin...rofitable.html

?
10-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

yeah, these aren't the droids we're looking for...

Pentax Newsflash! CEO tells stockholders he wants to make them money!
10-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
yeah, these aren't the droids we're looking for...

Pentax Newsflash! CEO tells stockholders he wants to make them money!
Yeah, serve up some Ground Golden Goose. That'll improve future prospects.

"Fear not, stockholders, you may rest assured we're concentrating entirely on the short term. "

10-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Yeah, serve up some Ground Golden Goose. That'll improve future prospects.

"Fear not, stockholders, you may rest assured we're concentrating entirely on the short term. "
Reminds me of one of my favorite dilbert comics! The CEO is being questioned as to why he makes a million dollars a year (this amount is so dated, it is comical by itself). Does he work 20000 hours a week? No. CEO bends over and clenches - nope, he produces a gold egg every 10 minutes.
10-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Nothing new

Suzuki told this story to the shareholders during the acquisition of Pentax. Lets them think he has a "plan" ............
troublesome but not unexpected from them. Better then when an American company says "I have complete faith in......" shortly before jettisoning a product/person....
BTW: Complete and accurate translation IS needed........
Edit: wouldn't mind a better translation of this either
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%...istory_state0=
http://japan.cnet.com/news/tech/story/0,2000056025,20400265,00.htm

Personally.. Suzuki does more damage then good almost every time he opens his mouth......

Last edited by jeffkrol; 10-07-2009 at 11:49 AM.
10-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #10

Myopia

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Maybe the rumors of Samsung's interest in Pentax were true awhile back. Hoya might have been asking too much or Samsung offering too little at the time. Now Hoya can command a higher price for the sale of the Pentax camera division because it is profitable.

If Hoya does sell Pentax I find it very short sighted. Pentax is one of the few camera companies that are currently posting a profit. Hoya made it known it was interested in the medical division of Pentax during its acquisition. Depending on how Pentax is structured, any R&D from the camera division could benefit other divisions of the company like medical and security. Decapitating the camera division from the rest of the company doesn't sound like a good idea. Pentax should be kept together.

If the camera division of Pentax is sold, I hope it goes to a worthwhile suitor like Samsung and not a company or private equity firm that will drive the Pentax camera division into the ground.
10-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Screen this page, translate, please. And show us.
Yes, the screen shot in the first post is the one actually. The last title: 黒字で事業売却? または独立?is the one talks about that: HOYAの鈴木洋CEO(最高経営責任者)は、デジカメ事業について「ポートフォリオの1つとしてHOYAグループに存在し続けると思っていない。どこかと一緒になるか独立してもいい」との構想を持つ。which I have already translated in the first post. Whether it is a good translation I don't know. Maybe someone here can do a better job.
10-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
Maybe the rumors of Samsung's interest in Pentax were true awhile back. Hoya might have been asking too much or Samsung offering too little at the time. Now Hoya can command a higher price for the sale of the Pentax camera division because it is profitable.

If Hoya does sell Pentax I find it very short sighted. Pentax is one of the few camera companies that are currently posting a profit. Hoya made it known it was interested in the medical division of Pentax during its acquisition. Depending on how Pentax is structured, any R&D from the camera division could benefit other divisions of the company like medical and security. Decapitating the camera division from the rest of the company doesn't sound like a good idea. Pentax should be kept together.

If the camera division of Pentax is sold, I hope it goes to a worthwhile suitor like Samsung and not a company or private equity firm that will drive the Pentax camera division into the ground.
I think it is because HOYA's businesses are mainly B2B and they already said that Pentax is a consumer known brand but HOYA is not. As far as the little hint that revealed to the public, the CEO doesn't seem to see the camera business profitable enough comparing to other HOYA's businesses.
10-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by yakiniku Quote
I think it is because HOYA's businesses are mainly B2B and they already said that Pentax is a consumer known brand but HOYA is not. As far as the little hint that revealed to the public, the CEO doesn't seem to see the camera business profitable enough comparing to other HOYA's businesses.
Thank you for this insight Yakiniku. I'm a relatively recent crossover to Pentax from Nikon. I've really grown to love Pentax and wish it the best! Any speculation on Samsung? The leaked photos a few months back of a FF Samsung lens makes me think a FF Samsung DSLR is in development (why is Samsung making its own lenses and not Pentax?). Past Samsung DSLR's seem to be duplicates of Pentax DSLR's though. Another rumor I came across stated that Samsung has developed three FF CMOS sensors and was still testing them as of earlier this year. The final specifications of the sensors, when the sensors will be put into production and when we will exactly see a FF K-Mount DSLR from Pentax or Samsung are things I would really like to know!

Last edited by Angevinn; 10-07-2009 at 05:58 PM.
10-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
Thank you for this insight Yakiniku. I'm a relatively recent crossover to Pentax from Nikon. I've really grown to love Pentax and wish it the best! Any speculation on Samsung? The leaked photos a few months back of a FF Samsung lens makes me think a FF Samsung DSLR is in development (why is Samsung making its own lenses and not Pentax?). Past Samsung DSLR's seem to be duplicates of Pentax DSLR's though. Another rumor I came across stated that Samsung has developed three FF CMOS sensors and was still testing them as of earlier this year. The final specifications of the sensors, when the sensors will be put into production and when we will exactly see a FF K-Mount DSLR from Pentax or Samsung are things I would really like to know!
Well, since you're newer here than I am by like a year, one thing that's for sure:: speculations on what Hoya and Samsung are meaning by what some exec says, and what actually happens pretty much exist in different spheres of reality. Samsung never made their own glass, just stuck different labels on the Pentax stuff. I count it unlikely they're quite silly enough to think making a FF sensor is going to make a FF SLR with the name Samsung on it sell for what those cost.

Certainly, if they tried, they'd have to invent ..and make.... a whole line of lenses out of nowhere.

If they come up with a good one, it'll probably be Pentax that builds a camera around it. On their own, Samsung has *no* lens mount. It's probably a stretch for them to make their EVIL camera half-convincing.
10-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What I have figured out by now is that Hoya doesn't really give any hints as to what it is going to do before it does it. My feeling is that they will keep Pentax, hoping to grow the business. A few months back, there was an interview with the CEO of Hoya, where he said that they were looking into the possibility of acquisitions and that they were in a good position to that because of their profit margins.

As to Samsung, there are so many rumors about them, but the biggest thing I see is generalized randomness. Their sensor people seem really good and are moving forward well, but their camera folks are constantly flying new ideas that seem unlinked to the last big idea they generated. You have to have a coherent plan and that seems to be completely lacking with Samsung. Maybe it would get better if they bought Pentax, but I doubt it.