10-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Letter to Sean Reid & Reply

This is my letter today to Sean Reid and his very brief and hopeful reply:

> Hi Mr. Reid,
>
> Thank you for the invite.
>
> I will more than likely resubscribe at some time eventually. Unfortunately I do not or am not able to play with most if not all of the lovely equipment that you write so well about.
>
> If you can - and I know it must be asking a lot on your schedule - manage to squeeze in a review of the new Pentax K-7, I highly recommend it with say the DA35mm f2.8 limited or the FA43 f1.9 Ltd, or the FA31mm f1.8 Ltd, the FA77 f1.8 Ltd or the DA 70 f2.4 Ltd or the DA 15mm f4 Ltd, or the DA21mm f3.4 Ltd or the DA 40mm f2.8... :-) or any of their star *primes like the 200 or 300mm's ;-)
>
> Of course, I realize that you are well aware of Pentax's lovely collection, I'm jus' sayin'.
>
> A pretty good looking, very nice compact DSLR with the Limited lenses. I am waiting for the price to drop a bit more before going for it... at this moment, best price is near $1000, down from $1299 msrp. In only a few short months I will get a very nice Mg alloy body for a terrific price :-) At least here is something for the more frugal pedestrian amongst the well heeled. By the way, I still appreciate your look at the K10D, which I still have, as well as the NEC monitor review :-) , now that was cool.
>
>
> Kindly yours,
>
> Nic

Hi Nic,

I would like to look at it at some point.

Cheers,

Sean
So, big point of the story, anyone living near Vermont who can lend any of the aforementioned equipment will have their name guilded in the golden letters of Sean Reids website. Who knows, perhaps he already has a givng type friend. (I know, I forgot to mention the loverly DA 55 f1.4, drat!).

10-12-2009, 02:19 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
> I will more than likely resubscribe at some time eventually.
As a former subscriber to his site I highly recommend that you insist on trying before buying. Sean Reid may be an excellent writer, but the Flash-based layout of his site is probably the worst I've ever encountered:

- Text size can't be changed (it's too small for my eyesight)
- It doesn't support 1024x768 screen resolution (the text doesn't wrap; the site displays a horizontal scrollbar)
- PageUp and PageDown buttons don't work.
- The browser's Back and Forward buttons don't work
- Printing articles for off-line reading is blocked
- The browser's text search option (Ctrl+F) doesn't work
- Selecting the text (to copy it to another viewer) is blocked
- There is no way to save a Favorite/Bookmark to a specific article

To me reidreviews.com isn't worth the $33 a year it costs. It was too annoying to be worth the bother, so it really gave me no value at all.

Prog.
10-14-2009, 07:20 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Prognathous Quote
As a former subscriber to his site I highly recommend that you insist on trying before buying. Sean Reid may be an excellent writer, but the Flash-based layout of his site is probably the worst I've ever encountered:

- Text size can't be changed (it's too small for my eyesight)
- It doesn't support 1024x768 screen resolution (the text doesn't wrap; the site displays a horizontal scrollbar)
- PageUp and PageDown buttons don't work.
- The browser's Back and Forward buttons don't work
- Printing articles for off-line reading is blocked
- The browser's text search option (Ctrl+F) doesn't work
- Selecting the text (to copy it to another viewer) is blocked
- There is no way to save a Favorite/Bookmark to a specific article

To me reidreviews.com isn't worth the $33 a year it costs. It was too annoying to be worth the bother, so it really gave me no value at all.

Prog.

I'm not a subscriber and have no affiliation. I visited the site out of curiosity after reading your comments. My only complaint is that the sight is reversed text (white on black background) which is the worst possible combination for extended reading. Tested the items you listed as problems (except the printing and bookmarking) with the site using Firefox 3.5.3. I was unable to repeat your experience.

To increase the size of text, I used <CTRL> and '+' (the one above the QWERTY section). I didn't have any problems with the screen not wrapping when I decreased the width of the window (I have a wide screen LCD).
10-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Yonnie Quote
I visited the site out of curiosity after reading your comments.
What you visited is actually not the review site, but merely an HTML-based intro that has no relation with the Flash-based paid part (which is where 99% of the content at reidreviews.com is).

Trust me, if the entire site had the same layout as the intro, I would have kept my subscription. As it is, all I have left is bad taste.

Prog.