Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2009, 06:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
maybe he had a hard time finding cons for the K-x thats why he blamed it on the battery. The only negative i see are the colors somewhat pale compared to the K-m

10-12-2009, 06:16 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought that the batteries would be an issue. AAs just don't make a whole lot of sense with a camera that has live view and video. I understand that Pentax is marketing to a specific demographic, but those folks have got to realize that camera specific rechargeables are definitely the way to go.

On the other hand, 6400 sure looks useable -- about the same as iso 1600 on the K20 (which I guess is similar to the K7).
10-12-2009, 07:06 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Maby he should have gotten a pair of 2700mAh batteries

And those high iso pictures looks awesome. I downloaded a couple and did some serious pixelpeeping. And there is alot of details still there. And with just a bit of noise ninja you get seriusly clean pictures. Im talking about Iso 12800 looking like my k20ds iso 1600/3200.

This will be my new indoor concert low light camera, should I get it in black, blue or red?
10-12-2009, 07:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

How the hell can no weather sealing be a con on an entry-level camera?

10-12-2009, 07:18 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
How the hell can no weather sealing be a con on an entry-level camera?
he just had to find something to !@$%@# about

i think the K-x will be on my xmas list regardless of his findings.
10-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Maby he should have gotten a pair of 2700mAh batteries

And those high iso pictures looks awesome. I downloaded a couple and did some serious pixelpeeping. And there is alot of details still there. And with just a bit of noise ninja you get seriusly clean pictures. Im talking about Iso 12800 looking like my k20ds iso 1600/3200.

This will be my new indoor concert low light camera, should I get it in black, blue or red?
white!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/767591-post10.html

No one will not let you in for a "professional camera" either.
10-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If K-x is bundled with Alcaline AA as with K-m, no wonder it dies quickly.
Failing to notice the culprit is alcaline (if it is so) means the reviewer is completely junk.

10-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Failing to notice the culprit is alcaline (if it is so) means the reviewer is completely junk.
it came with lithium AA's, but saying that it died after 24 hours is meaningless.

i could make a D5000 or T1i battery die in 2 hours and that would not mean squat about the battery.
10-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #24
Veteran Member

surprised he didn't comment on video or LV (how many Mf users use LV mangification instead?)

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-12-2009 at 10:21 AM.
10-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I've no idea where you get that idea. The K-m comes with 4 Lithium AAs. The manual itself states, "We do not recommend their use except in emergencies and checking the camera functionality."

And the reviewer has stated they were lithiums:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-x: Performance
Pentax Kx DSLR colour test chart
After talking quite positively about AA batteries for what could possibly be the first time in my life, I found the power consumption too much to handle. I used four new AA Lithium batteries and they were dead in 24hrs. I didn't use the camera excessively although I did use live view, so that could be the issue.

For clarification, the batteries were from an unopened packet so I knew they'd not been used previously. From my time in retail, I know that manufacturers can use half charged batteries to give away because they're cheaper but I'd still expect a lot more from this type. I didn't use live-view constantly, but possibly used it more than a photographer would because I was testing it.
Since he doesn't seem to have used anything excessively, I wonder if it was possibly a defect in the camera or batteries. I've actually had one occasion where brand new lithiums read as depleted when I popped them in. I later checked their charge and they were dead.
10-12-2009, 12:43 PM   #26

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Strange that auto-focus accuracy and speed aren't mentioned in the review. Overall, looks like Pentax will have a winner!

What I'd like - that Sony sensor put into a k20d body with improved auto-focus!
10-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
Strange that auto-focus accuracy and speed aren't mentioned in the review. Overall, looks like Pentax will have a winner!

What I'd like - that Sony sensor put into a k20d body with improved auto-focus!
I second that, only I would prefer the K-7 body

I expressed hope in high iso performance a while ago from this, apparently first, pairing of a sony CMOS sensor with a pentax prime II image processor... and it works damn fine...

If there is any chance for K-7mk2/K-7super/K-whatevertheycallit with this sensor it would go on my shopping list within 2.6 nanoseconds...
10-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #28
ogl
Banned

NED BUNNELL: My First K-x Test Shots

the colours are no good at all. pale.

as for review - I said before that even AA lithium is no good during LV and video.

Last edited by ogl; 10-12-2009 at 09:03 PM.
10-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
NED BUNNELL: My First K-x Test Shots

the colours are no good at all. pale.
Boo. Hiss. Are you mimmicking dpreview now, and their insistance on using default jpeg settings? seriously.

edit: Haha, nevermind those are all shot in RAW, and processed however Ned feels the images were intended through his eyes (sure looks the way dressers and shelves ought to look to my eyes). So you are chalking no good, pale colors from a bunch of raw samples batched processed from around his house on the weekend. Maybe we all dont keep a botanical garden in the kitchen like you, but if I turn my head to the left and right at the moment I am surrounded my muted, typical home furnishings. Not exactly vibrant photographic material.

Last edited by pxpaulx; 10-12-2009 at 09:07 PM.
10-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #30
ogl
Banned

Does anybody wait for outstanding colours from 12 MP Sony CMOS sensor?