Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 03:59 AM   #76
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by quaker Quote
Support k100d style body with k-x sensor !!! I believe everyone having k100d, k100ds, k200d, are waiting for this model! K-7 is too large and expensive, k-x is too entry-level. We are waiting shoulder lcd and AF point indicators !!! Pentax will sell a million of it immediately.

K100D
Weight (inc. batteries): 660 g (23.3 oz)
Dimensions 129 x 93 x 70 mm (5.1 x 3.7 x 2.8 in) |

K-7
Weight (inc. batteries): 750 g (26.5 oz)
Dimensions 131 x 97 x 73 mm (5.2 x 3.8 x 2.9 in)

I payed for my K100D + Kit lens + accus +charger about 725 Euro in (late) 2006 and now the K-7+WR kit lens is 1050 Euro. And between those two cameras there is a huge feature/quality/performance difference.

Radu

Last edited by RaduA; 11-12-2009 at 04:12 AM. Reason: accidentaly hit Enter at the wrong time ;)
11-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

As for JPEG and RAW.
I don't remember such JPEG from Pentax cameras.
Even with auto WB and auto mode.

It's indicator of how good or bad sensor and colour filters.

Low noise - yes, it seems to me, K-x is better than even *ist DS at ISO1600/3200.

K-x is like Nikon and Sony's IQ with the same 12 MP sensor.
The green, yellow and orange differ from CCD.
The blue is pale. It's typical CMOS IQ in some respect.
I agree somewhat with ogl about the difference between CCD and CMOS. The K-x definitely has a more bluish cast to it compared to my K200D. the K-7 controls this more---not sure how or why.

I do not agree with the how "good or bad" this makes the sensor. It is what it is and both the camera and PC software make short work of any such discrepancy. I've shot Nikon and had no problems except I like my colours a little "warmer". As well know from Imatest, colour can be subjective. Some swear by Fuji; others the much cooler Canon's. the K-x makes a choice. The K-7 another. The WB is pretty much what I am used to from the K200D.

I shoot RAW and frankly, the difference is minor, and I adjust using a preset. I have yet to test the JPEGs. Nor have I tested with the extended range options.

As for noise, the K-x is excellent, with a greater control at high ISO. In particular, ISO 200 is very good, and the sweet spot 400-800 is functionally acceptable to outstanding. At 1600+ it gets out of my comfort range for noise. Functional, but aesthetically compromised.

I have no problem with the sensor nor the IQ. Moire on video is a problem.
11-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #78

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Rice High likes K-x.
RiceHigh has absolutely no idea of photography, I am still amused that he knows how to hold a camera.

Anyway, K-X seems to be a quite nice camera, cannot wait to try it!