Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Any news about Lens Roadmap?

I am curious about Pentax Lens Roadmap.

Any news on new lens? no more roadmap?

Pentax's critical problem is lack of AF lens.

in South Korea, EF 50mm f/1.8 is sold about $50.
Pentax? users buying MF Rikenon 50.7 and Phenix 50.7
50mm f/1.7 is similar price with 50mm f/1.4 !

and Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 is $200.
Pentax? 77limited is $600.

what about this high-low line-up?

30mm f/1.4 and f/1.8
88mm f/1.4 and f/1.8

below link is my full sort of all Pentax K mount lens. based on KMP.

SLR?? Pentax ??

10-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are these fair comparisons you are making in your opinion?
Lack of AF lenses?

Have a look at the Lens Review Database and see the variety that's available - buying new? A lot of the FA lenses, inlcuding all the limited series, and all DA lenses are easy to find and buy.

Your signature is funny with the English you've used... I think you mean to say "tell me if I have written anything rude". Is that right?
10-13-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Your signature is funny with the English you've used... I think you mean to say "tell me if I have written anything rude". Is that right?
Ash, I think that's the whole point of his sig. Miriya's obviously getting better.

I do believe Pentax needs a People's Prime. 28-35mm, f1.7 for starters. f1.4 or even 1.2 later. Tessar-type to keep the size and cost down.
10-13-2009, 01:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Is the 85/1.8 to the 77ltd a fair comparison? without comparing image quality you are comparing a fully metal construction to a much cheaper plastic design..

10-13-2009, 04:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
Is the 85/1.8 to the 77ltd a fair comparison? without comparing image quality you are comparing a fully metal construction to a much cheaper plastic design..
I have seen wide open results with the 85/1.8 and frankly "it failed to light my fire". It certainly does not compare to the FA 77/1.8 Ltd, neither in build nor in optical quality. Yes, it's cheap but I don't want my pictures to look cheap!

Some comparisons made with manual focus lenses against the EF85/1.8:

http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/octocomp/octocomp.htm
10-13-2009, 05:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My understanding is that Hoya has put the roadmap aside. They felt that Pentax was making promises it wasn't keeping, delaying lenses and that it was better just to announce lenses when they were ready -- generally at the same time as the announcement of camera bodies.

This year's project for Pentax was mainly weather sealing already existing lower end zooms. With that done and the 645 (hopefully) nearing completion, they can turn their attention toward some new lenses. The only current promised lens left on the old road map was the super telephoto (whatever that means).

I wish that Pentax would keep a couple of cheaper primes in production -- say the FA 35 and 50 lenses. If they could be sold in the 200 dollar range, they would probably fit the bill. I really don't think anyone is interested in a prime built like the Canon 50 f1.8. According to reviews, it is prone to fall apart after just a few months of use. Not good, even if it is cheap.
10-13-2009, 05:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My understanding is that Hoya has put the roadmap aside. They felt that Pentax was making promises it wasn't keeping, delaying lenses and that it was better just to announce lenses when they were ready -- generally at the same time as the announcement of camera bodies.
Could be, but then they should remove the roadmap from the Pentax site altogether.

Wim

10-13-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I don't think he is asking you to "tell him" if he says something rude, rather he is asking you to "excuse" him should his poor English translate to something inappropriate.