Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Yes, I see.

But you can buy from Adorama going thru Amazon, or from Adorama directly. They may include the former but cannot include the latter channel, simply because Amazon would never be able to know about.

And I was just assuming that people buying from Adorama or B&H would more likely do so directly, not via Amazon. Except if the Amazon price would be better. Which isn't the case in Europe. Don't know for the US.
Amazon is better known in the US by the general population than any of the camera stores. The Amazon.com price is at US $1099. B&H' site currently lists the K-7 at $1,159.95, Adorama' site currently lists at $1199.95. All three prices are after the $100 rebate. On Amazon.com, Adorama is price matching the Amazon.com price however.

Thank you
Russell

10-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
The Amazon.com price is at US $1099. B&H' site currently lists the K-7 at $1,159.95, Adorama' site currently lists at $1199.95. All three prices are after the $100 rebate. On Amazon.com, Adorama is price matching the Amazon.com price however.
Russel, thank You for having this sorted out.
I wouldn't have guessed so.

E.g., in Germany, most people shop thru very powerful product comparison sites rather than thru Amazon. For K-7, Amazon lists as #16 only among offers (by price, 50% of 1-15 having a better rating as well).

And it is like Amazon in the US: by going to a store via a product comparison site I may see a better price.

Are there any surveys in the US how much sales goes via Amazon online sales, compared to direct online sales, for well known partner shops like Adorama?
10-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
This comparison Google chart is quite interesting - it looks like Pentax has definitely made a stir in the japanese market
Adding inverted commas, dropping the hyphen from K-7 (which most people probably won't bother to type), and dropping "eos" from the Canon (so that all cameras use just the company name and model number) gives very different results, albeit the K-7 still does impressively:

Google Trends: "pentax k7", "nikon d300s", "canon 50d", "olympus e30", "sony a700"

It doesn't vaguely reflect sales though - just search activity through Google. Even for that purpose, Google Trends lacks any way to combine all the different searches for each product in the aggregate (for example somebody might search for "Canon 50D", "Canon EOS 50D", "Canon EOS50D", "EOS 50D", "EOS50D", and even just "50D" by itself, but our trend graph only sees one of those options and ignores the rest).
10-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
gives very different results, albeit the K-7 still does impressively:
Well, click
Google Trends: "pentax k7", "nikon d300s", "nikon d300", "canon 50d", "canon 5d", "canon 7d", "olympus e30", "sony a700"
for a broader picture. May be more realistic as well

And avoid "nikon d700" as it doesn't fit the scale And avoid "pentax k10d" as well ...

Last edited by falconeye; 10-13-2009 at 04:23 PM.
10-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Well, click
Google Trends: "pentax k7", "nikon d300s", "nikon d300", "canon 50d", "canon 5d", "canon 7d", "olympus e30", "sony a700"
for a broader picture. May be more realistic as well

And avoid "nikon d700" as it doesn't fit the scale And avoid "pentax k10d" as well ...
Yep, point definitely taken...

Equally interesting (and perhaps not too heartening for the K-7) is this search:

http://www.google.com/trends?q="pentax+k10d",+"pentax+k20d","pentax+k7"

Note that "K10D", "K20D" and "K7" are the most popular searches for each of the three cameras. I tried "K10", "K20" and "K-7", and found them all to be far lower ranked, although the K-7 seemed to have a larger following for its less-used search than the other cameras...

Last edited by knoxploration; 10-13-2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Forgot to make my link clickable. Sorry!
10-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I should restate though, obviously the above doesn't necessarily relate to sales. I've handled plenty of Pentax cameras over the years, but the first to really grab my attention was the K10D, and so it's actually partly responsible for the fact I eventually moved to Pentax for the K-7.
10-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
E.g., in Germany, most people shop thru very powerful product comparison sites rather than thru Amazon.
We have price comparison sites, but we also have too many bait and switch operations, and downright fraud sites that make these less useful. Amazon is the safer bet for the casual buyer. The scammers have even recently started their own price watching/vendor review sites to promote the fraudulent sites as good places to buy from so it becomes even more of a mine field.

Thank you
Russell

10-14-2009, 02:36 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
We have price comparison sites, but we also have too many bait and switch operations, and downright fraud sites that make these less useful. Amazon is the safer bet for the casual buyer.
Yes, that is the conclusion to be drawn.

I compared smarter.com (aka pricerunner.com) with geizhals.at.

I found smarter.com put a lot of emphasis in a shiny gui with lacking data: Amazon and B&H are missing at all (for K-7 body) and Adorama is listed with their retail price rather than their better Amazon price:
Pentax K-7 SLR Digital Camera Body 17811 - Compare Prices & Find Discounts
No wonder people compare and buy thru Amazon.com.

In contrast I found that geizhals.at puts no emphasis an its gui (almost a simplistic google approach) but has all required data which additionally, are complete, accurate and trustworthy. Accurate includes that serious dealers are serious indeed. On one page, I see the serious dealers, their delivery times and charges, and their last database update. I also see how best price has varied over time. Moreover, many big sites embedd their service into their bigger websites using their own look and feel.

Pentax K-7 (SLR) Gehäuse (17531) Preisvergleich bei Geizhals.at Deutschland
Embedding example:
Wirtschaftsblatt.at
About them:
Geizhals - About Skinflint
UK version:
http://skinflint.co.uk/a434888.html
(skinflint is still establishing in the UK, so much less data here)

So no wonder that people in Germany rather shop via things like geizhals where they in the US, they rather shop via Amazon.

An interesting lesson about a tiny detail of national internet cultures

Last edited by falconeye; 10-14-2009 at 02:54 AM.