Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Popular Photography (popularr fotagrahfe) - Proper noun - A magazine that only promotes camera gear from Canon and Nikon because they give the best reach arounds.

10-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #47

Funny that you would say that, because the late Herbert Keppler, a member of staff personal digital camera was a the Pentax *istD.
10-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #48
Veteran Member

It is a joke, hence the
11-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #49

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I read the k-7 review article at the news stand, I was somewhat upset with their comments advising readers to pass on this one. But after reviewing their reasons, I can't completely reject why they say this to consumers who want to get a good camera at a good price also.

The website points out that there's a lot to like about the K-7. From what I gather, their BIG PROBLEM with the K-7 isn't a poor quality or overall poor performer or it's pros and cons compared to competitive models, IT'S THE PRICE for what you get. They pointed out the street prices are less on the Canon 50D and T1i by a few to several hundred dollars while in many ways they compare to the k-7 give or take some specs. However, where I would disagree is when it's compared to the higher $$$ D300s.

So what I conclude, if Pentax had a lower price on the K-7 it probably would have been much more favorably considered by the reviews comparing it next to its "better priced" competitors with similar specifications and performance (give or take a few features and specs).

If you search on the same site for the K20D review, they gave it a very highly favorable rating. So I'd conclude it isn't necessarily their CaNikon fetish, it's a mix of price and performance.

11-05-2009, 01:57 AM   #50
Pentaxian

T1i? Since when it's the T1i in the same class?
11-05-2009, 02:09 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BB_Zone28 Quote
When I read the k-7 review article at the news stand, I was somewhat upset with their comments advising readers to pass on this one. But after reviewing their reasons, I can't completely reject why they say this to consumers who want to get a good camera at a good price also.

The website points out that there's a lot to like about the K-7. From what I gather, their BIG PROBLEM with the K-7 isn't a poor quality or overall poor performer or it's pros and cons compared to competitive models, IT'S THE PRICE for what you get. They pointed out the street prices are less on the Canon 50D and T1i by a few to several hundred dollars while in many ways they compare to the k-7 give or take some specs. However, where I would disagree is when it's compared to the higher $$$ D300s.

So what I conclude, if Pentax had a lower price on the K-7 it probably would have been much more favorably considered by the reviews comparing it next to its "better priced" competitors with similar specifications and performance (give or take a few features and specs).

If you search on the same site for the K20D review, they gave it a very highly favorable rating. So I'd conclude it isn't necessarily their CaNikon fetish, it's a mix of price and performance.
You are right. When the K10D was released it got good reviews because of the *bang for your buck*.

Last edited by res3567; 11-05-2009 at 09:47 AM.
11-05-2009, 02:51 AM   #52
Forum Member

Here in Sweden the K-7 have gotten top mark from basically all but one magazine, in that one they thought it was to expensive.. funny thing is that in one magazine where they reviewed the D300s they stated something like

It's a shame that Nikon couldn't keep the price down as the Pentax K-7 offers the same features for $1000 less..
11-05-2009, 05:13 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

The K7 and the T1i both have video, but that's about as far as the comparisons go. I think the 50D is a lot closer comparison, with the prices being relatively equivalent right now (on Amazon the 50D is right at 1000 dollars, the K7 at 1030). The difference is faster focus and better high iso noise on the 50D and video, in body SR with the K7. Sure, there are a lot of other little differences, but I think those are the big ones. The 50D launched first and so when the K7 came out, they were comparing launch price for it with a price that had already fallen some for the 50D.

11-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
As opposed to Pop Photo being blown by the competition (or is it the other way round?).
Pop...Poop...or is that Brown Nose Magazine!!!! Are you listening Poop Photography Magazine. Yeah the magazine that basically bitched to Pentax about "My unprofessional attitude" in speaking of my using Pentax products on their Poop Forum. Or is that Forumskin...???

What a group of untalented "A******S"

I feel better now that I got that off of my chest.

Cocktails anyone?

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/2009/08/11/the-straw-that-breaks-the-camels-back/
11-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Pop...Poop...or is that Brown Nose Magazine!!!! Are you listening Poop Photography Magazine. Yeah the magazine that basically bitched to Pentax about "My unprofessional attitude" in speaking of my using Pentax products on their Poop Forum. Or is that Forumskin...???

What a group of untalented "A******S"

I feel better now that I got that off of my chest.

Cocktails anyone?

Benjamin Kanarek Blog “The Straw that Breaks the Camel’s Back…”
Still upset with them getting you fired I see...
11-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by bergmania Quote
.. funny thing is that in one magazine where they reviewed the D300s they stated something like

It's a shame that Nikon couldn't keep the price down as the Pentax K-7 offers the same features for $1000 less..
AHA! Their secret CaNikon fetish bias is inadvertently revealed. Good detective work!
11-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
Still upset with them getting you fired I see...
Not really. I was just reminded of the whole chain of events.
11-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #58

The nice thing about Canon and Nikon is that they make all other manufactures reach, and in the end, you the consumer, get better value for money spent elsewhere. As for me, I just sold my XSi for a good price. I would just say that under good shooting conditions I could get outstanding images with my Xsi, but the build quality - compared to my previous camera, a K10 - was abysmal. I expect that my soon to be received K-x will be up to my expectations. I expect that i will be getting a solid camera with great featues. More importantly, I expect i will "create" great images! Thank you Canon and Nikon for all the things that you do. And finally, you can fool me once but you can't fool me twice. Isn't that what they say in Texas?
11-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #59
Veteran Member

What's the big deal??

In fairness, what they said was "not enough image quality for the money. They didn't knock its features or construction, beyond the appropriate knocks on auto focus in low light that still lags behind the competition. They were complimentary about its rugged weather sealed construction and 100% viewfinder, and provided details of how their "tested" performance didn't fully reflect the capabilities since Pentax dials in less noise reduction in its RAW files than competitors, and RAW conversion to TIFF at default settings is how they run their tests. Pretty even handed overall I'd say, including the ultimate conclusion - an upgrade for those looking for the best Pentax body they can get, but not outstanding overall. Beyond brand zealotry, I don't understand why people are so upset about the review.