10-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

1.4% barell distortion at 15mm is A M A Z I N G

10-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #17
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
The 12-24mm at about 15mm would be more useful compirson IMO.
DA12-24 will be the same or a bit worse at 14-15 mm than at 12 mm. IMO.
See photozone - 18 and 24 mm are a bit worse than 12. I don't think that it could be huge difference between 12 and 14 mm.
10-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How to take the review seriously when the test camera is still a K10D?
C'mon, test with a newer camera and I'm sure the difference in resolution will be telling...
10-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #19
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
C'mon, test with a newer camera and I'm sure the difference in resolution will be telling...
I don't see any problem. With higher MP, DA15 will have better resolution.

10-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't see any problem. With higher MP, DA15 will have better resolution.
a DA LTD on a K-7, double the effect.
10-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #21
Inactive Account

There is more to this lens then just optics. It's also the size and built. So much easier to take with you then one of it's peers and really really lovely to shoot with. The package is what sets it apart. Should be in the grade somewhere.
10-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schneider Quote
There is more to this lens then just optics. It's also the size and built. So much easier to take with you then one of it's peers and really really lovely to shoot with. The package is what sets it apart. Should be in the grade somewhere.
I agree with you. the small size is really a nice asset of the 15mm,really portable and handy. the 14mm has quite a bit of a length and the 12-24 is just big. actually that is the only thing that is killing the 12-24. it just eats to much space (including the hood as well which is wider).

from the looks of it, the DA15 is designed to be shoot at f/8 for overall view. and f/5.6 for isolating center subjects. I think having softer corners at wide open is not bad I should say, the extreme sharpness at the center makes up for it. if you are going to consider the functionality of the DA 15. this lens somehow resembles the Sigma 30/1.4, except that lens is way way faster (3 stops) and is used for lowlight photography and general use.

the DA 15 somehow illustrates both functionality as a landscape, buildings, interior shooting lens and a wide version of a portraiture lens (though a bit of cropping and close-up would might be needed).

IMO, it's a stalemate if you are going to do DA15 versus 12-24 argument. both lenses have their strengths and weaknesses. and I believe it is such a necessity and luxury on having both lenses. can't live without the other one if I were to put it.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 10-20-2009 at 01:27 PM.
10-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #23
ogl
Pentaxian

Dear friends, my FA*24 is worse at corners than DA15, but high contrast of this lens saves the photos - visually, even at 100% size, the corners are not bad from F/5.6. I think DA15 is the same.

1845 LW/PH is very good result for super-wide lens. It's not SOFT at all.
I had a lot of RAW from DA15 + K20D. The corners are not bad from F/5.6.

10-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Dear friends, my FA*24 is worse at corners than DA15, but high contrast of this lens saves the photos - visually, even at 100% size, the corners are not bad from F/5.6. I think DA15 is the same.

1845 LW/PH is very good result for super-wide lens. It's not SOFT at all.
I had a lot of RAW from DA15 + K20D. The corners are not bad from F/5.6.
you should had gotten this one >>> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/76590-sale-sold-pentax-a20mm-f2-8-a.html

too bad. by the time I made a purchase and spent my mad money, this one showed up.
10-21-2009, 03:33 AM   #25
Pentaxian

The camera (sensor, bayer filter, AA filter) are three constant factors in the measurement of a camera's MTF curve. They can be divided out and the results still speak clearly. No reason to assume that K10D measurements don't speak for forthcoming 30MPixel APS-C cameras. photozone.de does it right in keeping a constant point of reference.

Class A brought the following article to my attention:
http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B8B6F/EmbedTitelIntern/CLN_30_MTF_en/$File/C..._Kurven_EN.pdf
http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B8B6F/EmbedTitelIntern/CLN_31_MTF_en/$File/C...urven_2_en.pdf

I had an extensive discussion with the author since and I can only say that the article is a very recommended read for the technically inclined photographer -- as all posters in this thread are supposed to be.
10-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #26
Veteran Member

falk. having owned the K10D, K20D and now the K-7, the one thing I noticed is that with the new 14.6 MP CMOS sensor on the K20D, lenses that I had thought were sharp on the K100D and K10D were now clearly shown to be so-so with the new camera sensor. The fact that photozone doesn't even bother to test on the latest camera bodies really has got nothing to do with consistency but shows a reluctance to invest in a up to date camera body to test.
10-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #27
Veteran Member

falk. having owned the K10D, K20D and now the K-7, the one thing I noticed is that with the new 14.6 MP CMOS sensor on the K20D, lenses that I had thought were sharp on the K100D and K10D were now clearly shown to be so-so with the new camera sensor. The fact that photozone doesn't even bother to test on the latest camera bodies really has got nothing to do with consistency but shows a reluctance to invest in a up to date camera body to test.
that would be interesting to see. though as far as what camera they are pretty much using for their lens testing, their evaluation is pretty much accurate,atleast for the camera they are using. resolution though becomes a big question mark since a 10MP resolution camera versus a 14.6MP resolution camera has a pretty huge gap.

how does your 3 cameras used with the same lenses perform at 10MP ? how about the new k-x? does the K-x's resolution display a consistent identical result as to having a higher resolution than the K10D and a bit lower than the K20D and K-7 at 10MP? an IQ resolution variation is true in every camera, but does having a higher MP affects the lenses' resolution significantly worse or better? if it does make your lenses appear a so-so, I think that is one issue that needs to be resolved. I also do think that this issue can be resolved in future high MP cameras by the way how camera technology continues to evolve.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 10-21-2009 at 10:21 AM.
10-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The fact that photozone doesn't even bother to test on the latest camera bodies really has got nothing to do with consistency but shows a reluctance to invest in a up to date camera body to test.
Not only:

1/ He is doing this by himself so investing into a new camera (for each brands) every two years in financially suicidal for him.

2/ Keeping consistency accross tests would ask to retest all the lenses with the new camera (you know, the lenses that people lent him for free...), and the exact same one, otherwise sample variation may kick in as well.
10-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #29
Pentaxian

falk. having owned the K10D, K20D and now the K-7, the one thing I noticed is that with the new 14.6 MP CMOS sensor on the K20D, lenses that I had thought were sharp on the K100D and K10D were now clearly shown to be so-so with the new camera sensor.
creampuff, I am disappointed that you didn't invest the time to read thru the references I provided for you.

You don't understand what I am telling you.

The fact that lenses sharp on the K10D are soft on the K20D is trivial. Still it is irrelevant.

I can read the photozone.de resolution figures and tell you exactly what to expect on a 15, 20 or even 30 MPixel sensor. The secret lies in how close a lens resolves to Nyquist at <=f/5.6 (DA15 or FA31 are -9%, DA70 is -14% etc.) and how max. resolution varies with aperture. This can be read independently from the camera resolution. You can compute which figure would be required with a 30 MPixel sensor etc. A higher resolving camera provides a more accurate measurement, this is all.

Eg., the original 18-55 at 55mm resolved -23% Nyquist (and this is soft at 15MP).

creampuff, you shouldn't blame photozone.de for your inability to properly read their testing figures.
10-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #30
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
creampuff, I am disappointed that you didn't invest the time to read thru the references I provided for you.
dear friend, give us, please, the formula.