Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #271
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This anouncement from Samsung looks real. I tried to "fake" their blue anouncment logo, and there was now way i could do it. That is the "blue box of truth". I tell you, I'm a believer now.

Here was the best I could do, and I had help from a guy online who tells me he is the brother of a guy who works for apple, but now sells DIM cards to the guy who does the buying for ALL of samsung.

My attempt that proves the "blue box" is the truth:

-------------------

Sorry about the sharpening artifacts...

Attached Images

11-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #272
Inactive Account

This is exactly what I'm looking for...

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Since Leica has already achieved a fullframe rangefinder camera in the M9, it proves that such a feat is possible. It also begs the question, why do we need mirror boxes in the first place. Mirror/Reflex systems are the foundation of the old technology that most of us have abandoned. If you really want a full-sized electronic viewfinder, that can be easily achieved without using a mirror box. The other possibility provided by the use of an electronic viewfinder would be systems reprising the old Sports and Speed Finders that were so popular with professional photographers years ago. Personally I would much rather have a camera body like the Panasonic GF1 with separate interchangeable viewfinders.

Getting rid of the mirror box once and for all would remove all the inherent mechanical failures related to them. And we should also keep in mind the amount of battery consumption involved in moving that mirror at high speed. All DSLRs are pretty much excluded from shooting true video as well. All because of that damned mirror box. Get rid of the mirror box. Give me a fullframe SLV (Single Lens Viewfinder) with all of the lenses redesigned to take advantage of the shorter image registration distance to the sensor. We would/should all then be shooting with the likes of the Leica M9 without the cost of owning one.

Hell! Let me take credit for naming the new photographic category.
SILB (Single Interchangeable Lens Body)
It's really kind of funny. Because the SLR designation only existed to differentiate them from twin-lens TLR cameras (which also had mirrors). So in the reality of our current technology, Single Lens isn't even needed anymore. So let me just shorten it as presently required.
ILB

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
ShingoshiDao

Last edited by Shingoshi; 11-09-2009 at 09:42 PM.
11-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #273
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I don't think we will get all that in 2010! But it would be nice to ditch the last piece of obsolete technology, but I am not sure about moving too far away from the traditional DSLR shape, esp considering the ergonomics. Small cameras don't suit everybody and I am quite happy to lugg my relatively heavey K20 up hill and down dale. I don't want it any smaller or lighter.
11-09-2009, 11:46 PM   #274
ogl
Pentaxian

Future units for RICOH GXR:

"portrait photography unit with full-size sensor"

"ultra-wide unit "
"super-telephoto unit / high-sensitivity astronomical photography"
"ultra high-speed continuous shooting sports сapture unit " -
" waterproof and dustproof unit"

11-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #275
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:

"ultra-wide unit "
Why not just go out and get a Sony a900 or a Canon 5D MII?
11-10-2009, 01:43 AM   #276
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote

it's true. it's from japanese Ricoh release.
11-10-2009, 02:52 AM   #277
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shingoshi Quote
If you really want a full-sized electronic viewfinder, that can be easily achieved without using a mirror box. [...]
Getting rid of the mirror box once and for all would remove all the inherent mechanical failures related to them. And we should also keep in mind the amount of battery consumption involved in moving that mirror at high speed.
And what if I don't want a "full-sized electronic viewfinder"? What if I don't want an electronic viewfinder at all? IMO, the technology is not ready to replace the optical viewfinder. Until then...
How about the power consumption of the electronic viewfinder itself? Constantly getting live data from the sensor, processing them, then displaying on a tiny LCD - surely you don't think this is less power hungry than just flipping the mirror up and down?
11-10-2009, 03:14 AM   #278
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And what if I don't want a "full-sized electronic viewfinder"? What if I don't want an electronic viewfinder at all? IMO, the technology is not ready to replace the optical viewfinder. Until then...
How about the power consumption of the electronic viewfinder itself? Constantly getting live data from the sensor, processing them, then displaying on a tiny LCD - surely you don't think this is less power hungry than just flipping the mirror up and down?
Completely agreed.

11-10-2009, 05:15 AM   #279
Veteran Member

And what if I don't want a "full-sized electronic viewfinder"?
Don't buy the camera, then. Today mirror cameras are still much common than EVIL ones, you should find the one best suited for you.
11-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #280
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:

.... for the price of a 5DMkII + 85f1.8?

QuoteQuote:
"ultra-wide unit "
About the last one, I thought all units were being dustproof by construction?
11-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #281
Veteran Member

"ultra-wide unit "
Not seeing where your quotes come from, but I'll be staggered if even two more lens/sensor combos are released for this in the future (for a total of four).
11-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #282
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shingoshi Quote
Since Leica has already achieved a fullframe rangefinder camera in the M9, it proves that such a feat is possible. It also begs the question, why do we need mirror boxes in the first place. Mirror/Reflex systems are the foundation of the old technology that most of us have abandoned. If you really want a full-sized electronic viewfinder, that can be easily achieved without using a mirror box. The other possibility provided by the use of an electronic viewfinder would be systems reprising the old Sports and Speed Finders that were so popular with professional photographers years ago. Personally I would much rather have a camera body like the Panasonic GF1 with separate interchangeable viewfinders.

Getting rid of the mirror box once and for all would remove all the inherent mechanical failures related to them. And we should also keep in mind the amount of battery consumption involved in moving that mirror at high speed. All DSLRs are pretty much excluded from shooting true video as well. All because of that damned mirror box. Get rid of the mirror box. Give me a fullframe SLV (Single Lens Viewfinder) with all of the lenses redesigned to take advantage of the shorter image registration distance to the sensor. We would/should all then be shooting with the likes of the Leica M9 without the cost of owning one.

Hell! Let me take credit for naming the new photographic category.
SILB (Single Interchangeable Lens Body)
It's really kind of funny. Because the SLR designation only existed to differentiate them from twin-lens TLR cameras (which also had mirrors). So in the reality of our current technology, Single Lens isn't even needed anymore. So let me just shorten it as presently required.
ILB

ShingoshiDao
but without the mirror box
AF will be slower.. and manual focus will be horrible
11-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #283
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bunegg Quote
but without the mirror box
AF will be slower.. and manual focus will be horrible
Depends on every one needs.
AF whould be slower but can be more accurate.
MF can be done more accurately with zoom on Liveview screen (but slower as well).
11-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #284
Veteran Member

"ultra-wide unit "
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote

It is "Full size" not a Full Frame.

The CMOS sensor boasts 23.6 mm 15.7 mm size for rich bokeh and approximately
12.30 million effective pixels for superior resolution.

Products & Solutions / GXR | Ricoh Global
11-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #285
Inactive Account

It's a matter of preferred media...In Black & White...

I shoot all of my images in Black & White. And it recently occurred to me that I wouldn't have the ability to "see" my images as I intend to produce them with anything other than a electronic viewfinder. Any exposure compensation you make to your image immediately shows up in the viewfinder. At least that's how it works in my Sony DSC-H50. So I see the print before it's made.

As for handling, you only need to add a built in handgrip like the one's you typically have to buy as an accessory for SLRs. Maybe even two, one on the side and bottom for normal and vertical shooting. The bodies don't have to be built without a viewfinder. I would simply prefer it. And besides, you would still have the LCD on the back of the camera (which I seldom ever use). In fact, you might wind up with a larger LCD.

And I do believe that a mechanical device (motor) does consume more current than a small lcd. But one thing's for certain. If you drop a camera with a mirror, there's much greater chance you'll wind up with a dead camera than one with a electronic viewfinder. I think I've proven that by smacking my first digital camera (DSC-P32) rather hard in my hand, thinking the lens cover was stuck. Needless to say, the camera still works just as it was designed to do. Yeah, I shoot Sony!

ShingoshiDao