Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #316
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Do you guys think that when Pentax releases a FF, that the prices of the DA* lenses will drop?
Yes. As I see it, this is a big reason that Pentax haven't announced that there will be a FF. An announcement of FF years ahead would kill the company with the sales loss of greater margin *-glass.

11-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #317

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Samsung has already developed the several back-illuminated sensors with sensor size from 1/2.5" and 2/3" till APS-C and FF. It's 100% true info.

But, Hoya has no final decision about FF sensor in future FF camera.
Ogl is probably right again, Sony is rumored to be working on a backlit 32MP FF sensor for their new flagship camera. Samsung is probably trying to keep up with development.

Hoya/Pentax need to decide on a FF sensor soon if they expect to launch a FF DSLR in 2010.
11-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #318
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
Ogl is probably right again, Sony is rumored to be working on a backlit 32MP FF sensor for their new flagship camera. Samsung is probably trying to keep up with development.

Hoya/Pentax need to decide on a FF sensor soon if they expect to launch a FF DSLR in 2010.
Belive me, If they will launch a camera next year, the sensor is already chosen.
11-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #319
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Yes. As I see it, this is a big reason that Pentax haven't announced that there will be a FF. An announcement of FF years ahead would kill the company with the sales loss of greater margin *-glass.
I guess we'll have to wait a while for an update of the lens roadmap (last version is from March)....

11-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #320
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I guess we'll have to wait a while for an update of the lens roadmap (last version is from March)....
Yes, if a FF is introduced I suppose a road map is relevant again, but this time it would be under Hoya management and they may not provide this.
11-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #321
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's hard to believe that the DA* lenses would drop in price because the build quality and optics are very high. I suppose maybe they will keep the DA* lenses at the price it is and release FF lenses that are more costly?
11-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #322
Inactive Account

Are you thinking right?

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
It's hard to believe that the DA* lenses would drop in price because the build quality and optics are very high. I suppose maybe they will keep the DA* lenses at the price it is and release FF lenses that are more costly?
Are you really looking forward to paying prices that match those of Pentax's competitors? How many of you are willing to pay Nikon or even Canon prices for Pentax glass? That doesn't make any sense, when you consider that Nikon already has an extensive line of FF lenses which can be had from eBay for lower prices than anything Pentax will sell their new FF lenses for.

Pentax had better drop it's prices, or they will have dug their own grave before the product is released.

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
ShingoshiDao
11-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #323
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shingoshi Quote
How many of you are willing to pay Nikon or even Canon prices for Pentax glass?
Huh?? We always have. Some Pentax lenses are cheaper than the Nikon/Canon counterparts. Some are more expensive.

11-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #324
Veteran Member

Problem is that we can't buy lenses like 400/5.6, 600/4 or 300/2.8 etc from new
11-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #325
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Huh?? We always have. Some Pentax lenses are cheaper than the Nikon/Canon counterparts. Some are more expensive.
The FA Limiteds are an example of some expensive Pentax glass. I also don't agree that Pentax needs to drop price of their DA*'s to get sales once FF comes out; what they need to worry about is stabilizing SDM to really get the sales.
11-14-2009, 11:08 PM   #326
Veteran Member

So now we have unsubstantiated rumors being backed up by the presence of unrelated unsubtantiated rumors? Wow.

QuoteQuote:
You're assuming that they expect to do so. Equally, if they *do* expect to launch an FF camera next year, you're assuming that they haven't made a decision yet.

That's a whole lot of assumptions.
11-15-2009, 05:09 AM   #327
Veteran Member

To be launched by 2010 that decision had to be made a long ago, unless you have a switchable sensor body.

Rui
11-15-2009, 06:27 AM   #328
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
To be launched by 2010 that decision had to be made a long ago, unless you have a switchable sensor body.

Rui

I have unbelievable info...It's hard to say if it's true...
But Hoya plan to launch 2 FF cameras - close to $1500 and close to $2000.
With different sensors.

645D will be in 2 versions - with AA filter and without. Removable sensor unit - maybe...Maybe...
Like in Ricoh, but only sensor unit.
Different size of sensor, different MP.

Last edited by ogl; 11-15-2009 at 06:38 AM.
11-15-2009, 06:31 AM   #329
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

I have unbelievable info...It's hard to say if it's true...
But Hoya plan to launch 2 FF cameras - close to $1500 and close to $2000.
With different sensors.

645D will be in 2 versions - with AA filter and without. Removable sensor unit - maybe...Maybe...

The latter rumor is indeed true; you can get the 645D with or without AA filter. I want one without....
11-15-2009, 06:42 AM   #330
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Shingoshi Quote
Are you really looking forward to paying prices that match those of Pentax's competitors? How many of you are willing to pay Nikon or even Canon prices for Pentax glass? That doesn't make any sense, when you consider that Nikon already has an extensive line of FF lenses which can be had from eBay for lower prices than anything Pentax will sell their new FF lenses for.

Pentax had better drop it's prices, or they will have dug their own grave before the product is released.

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
ShingoshiDao
I think you have a lot of answers and no too many questions. I also think that you know little about Pentax and thirdly to promote the idea that Pentax is a second tier brand here could be a risky proposition. You may consider some from the folowing points:

1) Nikon itself has some real holes in its lens lineup (few constant aperture mid priced lenses in between pro grade f2.8 and consumer variable f zooms, very few stabilized primes under 100mm and maybe more). Furthermore there are at least some mediocre Nikon modern lens designs so Nikon isn't it really God's gift to photographers. Of course there are a lot of excellent designs (which is true for Pentax also) .
2) Obviously Pentax can offer a semi pro weather resistant system (K-7+DA* lenses + grip) for a lot less than whatever Canon or Nikon can at this moment. Of course there are some differences in various technical aspects and it's up to the customer to decide for him/herself;
3) Pentax can offer something that neither Canon or Nikon can:

WR wide kit lens for 50 USD more than the body only and about 200USD more for the 2 kit lenses respective to the K-7

and

- the series of beautifully crafted, small, light and stabilized DA Limiteds to go with the smallest/lightest in its class K-7.

4) Both Nikon and Canon have impressive lens catalogs but Pentax is far ahead in the (designed for digital / total number of currently produced lenses) ratio. Even Sony slaps digital coatings and motors on some older designs with disastrous results (e.g. 1.4/35mm);
5) US market is not entirely representative worldwide for the pricing and if you search some European e-shops you'll see quite a difference for most comparable lenses (especially DA* vs. comparative Nikon pro APS-C made glass - at least the few they have in this category). Same for the bodies. You'll also pay for Nikon software whilst Pentax gives you a basic software for free. And so on ...
6) This reply to you opinions it's not meant to promote the idea that Pentax >= Nikon. I just say that most of us don't appreciate Pentax from blind madness but simply because some of its advantages as a system are unavailable elsewhere for the price.

Radu