Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2009, 08:05 AM   #586
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shingoshi Quote
The lens may be workable with film. But that doesn't mean it's best suited for it. There could be vignetting on the edges that film shooters wouldn't appreciate too well. Then there's also the issue of resolution/distortion on the edges.
As far as I know, this is a refresh of the existing D-FA 100/2.8 Macro, which was sold as film-capable, along with the D-FA 50/2.8. I don't think there's any question that this completely covers film, and Pentax explicitly said so--otherwise, they would have called it DA rather than D-FA. That being said, it's not a great choice for film because it lacks an aperture ring. Lots of Pentax film cameras popular with enthusiasts (MZ-5n, MZ-S) still required aperture rings for manual mode & aperture priority.

12-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #587
Inactive Account

Thanks for the clarification!!

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
As far as I know, this is a refresh of the existing D-FA 100/2.8 Macro, which was sold as film-capable, along with the D-FA 50/2.8. I don't think there's any question that this completely covers film, and Pentax explicitly said so--otherwise, they would have called it DA rather than D-FA. That being said, it's not a great choice for film because it lacks an aperture ring. Lots of Pentax film cameras popular with enthusiasts (MZ-5n, MZ-S) still required aperture rings for manual mode & aperture priority.
Yeah, Nikon is doing the same thing with it's G-lenses. No aperture ring on them either. As an older photographer, I'm not sure how I would adjust to that. Although with my T90, you could control the aperture on the camera as well. So I don't that it would be that big of a deal in the long run.

Thanks again for the explanation,
Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
ShingoshiDao
12-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #588

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can believe whatever you want, but I choose to believe that Pentax will start shipping a FF DSLR early 2010!
12-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #589

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Why would they lead into FF with something as esoteric as a 100mm lens? Makes no sense.

If they were roadmapping their lenses into FF territory, which is a pro space, wouldn't it make more sense for them to start introducing some FF equivalents to (for example) Canon L-series pro-grade workhorses like the 24-70 2.8?

They, will if they are going to offer a FF camera. Probably will announce together.

A 24-70 pro grade zoom is the most important, and one of the most expensive lenses to design and make. Pentax has never offered a 24-70 2.8 as far as I am aware so they need to come of with a specific new design. They have to decide if and how they will improve SDM as well. A lot of very important and expensive decisions. It has to be right or it will hurt the FF camera success.

The makeover of the 100 macro is very easy and relatively cheap. If they decide to never bring out the FF, it will still add value to the APS-C lens family.

12-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #590
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photomy Quote
They, will if they are going to offer a FF camera. Probably will announce together.

A 24-70 pro grade zoom is the most important, and one of the most expensive lenses to design and make. Pentax has never offered a 24-70 2.8 as far as I am aware so they need to come of with a specific new design. They have to decide if and how they will improve SDM as well. A lot of very important and expensive decisions. It has to be right or it will hurt the FF camera success.

The makeover of the 100 macro is very easy and relatively cheap. If they decide to never bring out the FF, it will still add value to the APS-C lens family.
But then again, why wouldn't Pentax start its foray into FF territory in a different manner than the other guys?

For example, if they manage (which I am confident they will) to issue a relatively compact FF, why not first introduce some FF pancake lenses?

That would certainly draw some more attention than yet another FF with yet another 24-70f2.8 expensive zoom wouldn't it?
12-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #591
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
But then again, why wouldn't Pentax start its foray into FF territory in a different manner than the other guys?

For example, if they manage (which I am confident they will) to issue a relatively compact FF, why not first introduce some FF pancake lenses?

That would certainly draw some more attention than yet another FF with yet another 24-70f2.8 expensive zoom wouldn't it?
I thought DA 40 ltd works fine on FF.
12-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #592
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I thought DA 40 ltd works fine on FF.
For some value of "fine".

12-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #593
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote

because they will hurt the sales of the "old" pancake/limited lens? compare to the macro, the market is much smaller, no? and make those into FF lens will really giving out the answer no? then there will be no more guessing game for us, which really take out all the fun don't you think?
12-20-2009, 03:06 AM   #594
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
You can believe whatever you want, but I choose to believe that Pentax will start shipping a FF DSLR early 2010!
Yes, they call it 645D.

All signs point to "no FF in 2010".
12-20-2009, 03:18 AM   #595
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Yes, they call it 645D.

All signs point to "no FF in 2010".
is the 100mm WR a lens made for a 645D format? I don't know if this is one of those signs or is it not?
12-20-2009, 05:23 AM   #596
Veteran Member

No, that's no sign.
It is just a refreshed DFA100, which always was FF.
12-20-2009, 06:58 AM   #597
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
No, that's no sign.
It is just a refreshed DFA100, which always was FF.
...and so is the DA* 200/2.8 but they didn't give it FF (FA) designation....
12-21-2009, 01:41 AM   #598
Veteran Member

Bastian Lende from Pentax Germany on FF

Bastian Lende, a sales manager of Pentax Germany (or something like that) wrote on a German forum:
QuoteQuote:
"Meiner Meinung nach ist jetzt die Zeit noch nicht reif für KB.
Soll nicht heißen, dass wir dieses Format nie bauen werden.
Denke, wenn der weltweite Marktanteil es zulässt, wird sich auch Pentax dem Wunsch einiger User nicht verschliessen.
Denke, wenn die Preise in den Bereich der K7 rutschen, ist die Zeit reif..."
My translation:
"In my opinion the time is not yet ripe for FF now.
This doesn't mean that we will never produce this format.
I think, if the world-wide market share allows it, Pentax will not close themselves off from the wish of some users.
I think, if the prices are in the range of the K7, the time is ripe ..."
12-21-2009, 02:04 AM   #599
Pentaxian

That is the same "Blende" who dismissed the picture of the D FA 100mm f/2.8 macro (which later appeared to be real)? What he says sounds logical to me, but it is also completely meaningless. Decisions like that are made in Japan and I'm sure he does not know anything what the management of Hoya does.
12-21-2009, 04:18 AM   #600
Forum Member

I somehow agree.. When the price range is ard the launch price of k7 the time is ripe. Waiting for sony to launch their series of budget ff..