Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 04:42 AM   #601
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bunegg Quote
I somehow agree.. When the price range is ard the launch price of k7 the time is ripe. Waiting for sony to launch their series of budget ff..
I don't think your example is logical at all. Why should Pentax wait for what others are doing? I want Pentax to be a leader in certain fields, not a follower. They are on the right track with the K-x (especially the colorful ones) and the K-7 (despite what many say about the noise I love my K-7 to death) and IMHO they could not care less about what Sony is doing. Isn't it true that Sony is even lagging behind Pentax in their home country?

12-21-2009, 04:45 AM   #602
Forum Member

And who should they buy sensors from if they launch it now?
I think sony sensors are good for pentax. Look at k-x.. Selling like hotcakes. What we wish for doesnt mean its feasible in shoes for the money makers. launching it now and get bash by other budget ff 6 mths down the road wun do pentax any good.
If they can just tag along with sony mass produce budget sensors. We might get some bang for the buck like k-x
My own wish, dun flame me
12-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #603
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I think, if the prices are in the range of the K7, the time is ripe ..."[/B]
Euro prices:
5D2 1900
D700 1900
A850 1600
K-7 Launch: 1300

In 2010 and beyond, it will be hard to impossible to launch any enthusiast dSLR which isn't full frame or below 1000. Professional gear (hi speed APS-C etc.) can be more expensive but won't come from Pentax.
12-22-2009, 03:06 AM   #604
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Euro prices:
5D2 1900
D700 1900
A850 1600
K-7 Launch: 1300

In 2010 and beyond, it will be hard to impossible to launch any enthusiast dSLR which isn't full frame or below 1000. Professional gear (hi speed APS-C etc.) can be more expensive but won't come from Pentax.
D300s and 7D launch prices : 1800...

Germany is usually cheaper than the rest of Europe, in France 2 100 for 5DmkII is good price.

APSC is a system that is valid on its own and not just because it's cheaper than medium format. It's also more compact and glass is more compact and cheaper than FF while retaining interesting DOF capabilities.

Pentax had it right with their pancake lineup, K7 + pancakes are way smaller than anything FF has to offer.

12-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #605
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Pentax had it right with their pancake lineup, K7 + pancakes are way smaller than anything FF has to offer.
It's not that FF has to be large, it's just that neither Pentax or Olympus (the two companies that specialized in small SLR's) are making FF cameras. Nikon makes the D300 virtually the exact same size as the D700, it's just what they think is the right size...and with their lens line up they may be right. However full frame can be very small indeed:

Given, that's a manual focus film camera, but Leica has proven that a FF digital can be made the exact same size as its film counterpart. So Pentax theoretically should be able to make a digital Pentax MZ-3 that is just as small as a K7.

Even when it comes to lenses I don't think you really gain a real size advantage for APS-C until around the 135mm mark. An APS-C 50-135mm f/2.8 is certainly smaller than a 70-200mm f/2.8, however there is virtually no difference in a APS-C 30mm f/1.4 lens and a FF 50mm f/1.4 lens. So if you are a nature photographer then you will save a ton of weight with APS-C, however if, like me, you almost always shoot between 24-135mm's then you're not going to notice much of a difference in weight.

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 12-22-2009 at 10:09 PM.
12-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #606
Veteran Member

I noticed that in another section that Damn Brit closed the thread because he said it had ran it's course.May I say that this thread has done too many laps around this course.Trying to read it is making doze off.Please one of you moderators,Close the thread!We will get FF when we get FF.Enjoy the Pentax equipment that you have now and stop worrying about when it's going to happen.
12-27-2009, 08:00 AM   #607
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
I noticed that in another section that Damn Brit closed the thread because he said it had ran it's course.May I say that this thread has done too many laps around this course.Trying to read it is making doze off.Please one of you moderators,Close the thread!We will get FF when we get FF.Enjoy the Pentax equipment that you have now and stop worrying about when it's going to happen.
Well, I agree somewhat. If you are not interested in future outcome maybe I can even suggest that this "...News and Rumors" Forum be renamed "...Now and Past" Forum. Why worry about the future, people might feel good in Stone Age.

Rui (1950 BC)
12-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #608

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Why worry about the future, people might feel good in Stone Age.

Rui (1950 BC)
nice statement

12-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #609
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I am happy to have the thread closed, I don't think there is much else that can be said on this subject. Thanks everyone for your participation.
12-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #610
Veteran Member

Can't kill the thread, can you?

Why ???

Its not 2010 yet and you're giving up on pentax offering a full frame K mount body in 2010, just 4 days from now.

Isn't the rumour 2 full frame K Mounts in 2010 ???

&

A 645D in first quarter 2010 too ???

&

And how about a K-x sensor in a K-7 ???

Why shouldn't Pentax aps-c flagship have the best sensor ???

We have alot of new Hoya-Pentax cameras to look foward to in 2010 according to all the rumours beginning in just 4 days from now...

Happy New Year !!!
12-28-2009, 07:08 AM   #611
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
How about an FF sensor in a K-7-like body? That would be fun, and could really tempt me to buy a new camera body - except that I got a DA35 for christmas... (on the other hand, I think it could make an interesting lens for wide-angle close up photography where corner sharpness isn't all that important).
12-28-2009, 07:23 AM   #612
Banned

People keep showing Pentax film SLRs without the winder or motor drive so compare apples to apples next time.

12-28-2009, 07:31 AM   #613
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote

Why ???

Its not 2010 yet and you're giving up on pentax offering a full frame K mount body in 2010, just 4 days from now.

Isn't the rumour 2 full frame K Mounts in 2010 ???

&

A 645D in first quarter 2010 too ???

&

Why shouldn't Pentax aps-c flagship have the best sensor ???

We have alot of new Hoya-Pentax cameras to look foward to in 2010 according to all the rumours beginning in just 4 days from now...

Happy New Year !!!
The problem is, many of the FF K-mount speculations don't have any credibility. If I, someone who has no knowlege of Hoya's plans, start telling enough people that Pentax is coming out with a FF K-Mount that will rival the top Canon in terms of speed and the top Nikon in terms of DR but will be the size of a K-7, is that worthy of a long thread on here?

I'd love to see Pentax compete on all SLR levels because they would bring unique products to the table, but I just don't see enough to be so giddy with excitement.

Or do I?

Happy New Year.

:P
12-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #614
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
The problem is, many of the FF K-mount speculations don't have any credibility. If I, someone who has no knowlege of Hoya's plans, start telling enough people that Pentax is coming out with a FF K-Mount that will rival the top Canon in terms of speed and the top Nikon in terms of DR but will be the size of a K-7, is that worthy of a long thread on here?
This thread started from a thread on DPreview and was based on the comments from a Pentax rep quoted by the original OP.
There has been much speculation over the past few months over what are Pentax going to come up with next year? We all know that they are capable of surprises such as a world beating entry level camera in 100 colour combinations! Of course we all saw that coming. Whatever they come up with we can sure that it will be exciting stuff. And the one thing that really gets me excited as we end 2009 and move into 2010 is the fact that Pentax used a Sony sensor in the Kx. Sony also make a very good FF sensor used in the A850 and a900. Now just imagine that sensor in a Pentax FF...it could happen...we just have to wait and see! Happy New Year to all Pentaxians!
12-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #615
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I don't think your example is logical at all. Why should Pentax wait for what others are doing? I want Pentax to be a leader in certain fields, not a follower. They are on the right track with the K-x (especially the colorful ones) and the K-7 (despite what many say about the noise I love my K-7 to death) and IMHO they could not care less about what Sony is doing. Isn't it true that Sony is even lagging behind Pentax in their home country?
Well Pentax+Sony have the same "home country"!

Yes I do agree, but there is a limit to what one company can do, and making FF is already pushing it. I do hope they do something more interesting though...