Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #616
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
People keep showing Pentax film SLRs without the winder or motor drive so compare apples to apples next time.
How about showing a Pentax MZ-3 or Pentax MZ-S then. Both have AF, built in motor drives, large pentaprisms yet are smaller and lighter than a K7. The sad truth is there is no apples to apples comparison since Pentax has never made a full frame DSLR, but the closest thing we can come up with is probably the MZ-S vs K7.

MZ-S:
Size (W x H x D)
136.5 x 95 x 64 mm, 520 g

K-7:
Size (W x H x D), Weight
130.5 x 96.5 x 72.5 mm, 670 g

I call that a wash. Yes, I'm sure APS-C can be made smaller than full frame, but no one has done it yet.

12-28-2009, 11:40 PM   #617
ogl
Banned




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,114
2010 will be the year of 645D. not FF.
12-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #618
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2
PentaxJapan emphasize on 645D more than FF body.
I don't expect to release FF in 2010
12-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #619
Veteran Member
lol101's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Garennes sur Eure France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
QuoteOriginally posted by INTEL Quote
PentaxJapan emphasize on 645D more than FF body.
I don't expect to release FF in 2010
At best, an announcement at Kina 2010 if anything at all.

If nothing... well, there are more and more offers to choose from for those who would like to use a 24x36 camera on the market and it will increase pretty steadily in the coming years/months IMHO.

12-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #620
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 499
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
People keep showing Pentax film SLRs without the winder or motor drive so compare apples to apples next time.


To which your response is to compare a film camera with a winder to a K7 without the grip. Apples to apples?! Come off it!
03-10-2010, 02:46 AM   #621
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 83
This should kill off any hope for a Pentax FF DSLR...

This should kill off any hope for a Pentax FF DSLR... It is here!
What further reason would Hoya have to introduce a FF, when the price of the 645D is competitive against CaNikon?

Good bye FF!!

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
ShingoshiDao
03-10-2010, 04:18 AM   #622
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bridgetown West Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 850
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
What further reason would Hoya have to introduce a FF, when the price of the 645D is competitive against CaNikon?
Mmmm I disagree..this MF camera is merely paving the way for the FF, could not some of the new technologies in the 645D be used in a new FF DSLR? This camera is an important step for Pentax and a FF later this year will complete the picture!
03-10-2010, 05:38 AM   #623
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
I disagree as well. An MF camera is a very different beast. It's much slower for a few reasons and geared to the portrait and landscape crowd. Plus at the top end of the price scale for FF. Not going to even care about high ISO's, it's built to be used at the lowest setting and on a tripod a lot of the time. Not even SR or IS/VR style lenses and there probably never will be. I imaginge trying to correct a sensor that big in-camera is a bit more of a challenge.

Actually I find this encouraging. They produced an MF camera that is half the cost of the Mamiya and Hassleblad 40MP units. If they can do that and make a buck, then when FF comes, I'd expect it to be the cheapest of all or right in the middle of the pack with more features than the competition.

Looks good to me.

03-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #624
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
To which your response is to compare a film camera with a winder to a K7 without the grip. Apples to apples?! Come off it!
My mz-3 with battery grip is still smaller than my K20d and K200d without a battery grip. Without the grip, the MZ-3 still has an integrated winder. I don't have a K-7 so I can't make that comparison. BTW, I have an ME Super and comparing it with the winder to the MZ-3 battery grip is like comparing a watermelon to navel orange. However, I think that when Pentax does release a FF, it will be smaller than the Canikon lines.
03-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #625
Loyal Site Supporter
SteveM's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,295
If you look at the past Pentax release schedule, it looks like Pentax should have a replacement for the K-7 in about 6 months (if using their previous history to map their strategy is accurate). Who knows what it will be, FF or APS-C but it would be nice to see FF.

I am puzzled as to why the K-7 Silver is coming out so early compared to when other "limited" came out (it's about 4 months early). I'm presuming that the release of the replacement for the K-7 will not be early, otherwise we would see something in May or June.

Last edited by SteveM; 03-11-2010 at 10:17 AM.
03-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #626
Pentaxian
redrockcoulee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Medicine Hat
Posts: 2,098
As I have stated before the fact that Pentax has now released a medium format digital camera and folks other than those with Pentax have taken note, it will be much eaiser for them to release a full frame camera that will grab attention of non Pentax users. Now those with little or no knowledge about Pentax will say "that is the company with the great professional camera" as opposed to "Pentax, who are they?"

If the 645D is successful in the real world those who have been patiently or impatiently waiting the full frame should be that much closer to your dream and Pentax will not have to make it a D3 or D3X killer but more like an inex*****ive D700 and still be taken seriously.
03-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #627
Loyal Site Supporter
SteveM's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,295
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
As I have stated before the fact that Pentax has now released a medium format digital camera and folks other than those with Pentax have taken note, it will be much eaiser for them to release a full frame camera that will grab attention of non Pentax users. Now those with little or no knowledge about Pentax will say "that is the company with the great professional camera" as opposed to "Pentax, who are they?"

If the 645D is successful in the real world those who have been patiently or impatiently waiting the full frame should be that much closer to your dream and Pentax will not have to make it a D3 or D3X killer but more like an inex*****ive D700 and still be taken seriously.

I've been saying the same thing about FF. Pentax might not sell a lot of them (or the 645d for that matter), but the company will be viewed differently and as such, they can make up for the cost in R&D through additional sales of the lower end lines. It helps to make Pentax a credible camera company.
03-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #628
Veteran Member
ghelary's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 617
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
As I have stated before the fact that Pentax has now released a medium format digital camera and folks other than those with Pentax have taken note, it will be much eaiser for them to release a full frame camera that will grab attention of non Pentax users. Now those with little or no knowledge about Pentax will say "that is the company with the great professional camera" as opposed to "Pentax, who are they?"

If the 645D is successful in the real world those who have been patiently or impatiently waiting the full frame should be that much closer to your dream and Pentax will not have to make it a D3 or D3X killer but more like an inex*****ive D700 and still be taken seriously.
Pentax clearly stated that there will no FF in 2010. The reason said what that with the 645D and APSC lineup they didn't have enough ressources. An untold reason may be also unavailibility of a sensor. There's 2 possibility around, the 24Mpx Sony CMOS and the 18Mpx CCD from Kadac (and used on the M9), but nobody knows exactly if they are available and interresting for Pentax.

Then there is the problem of the market size, if Pentax owns 10% of the market, 10% of a big cake make a decent part (APSC), 10% of a small cake (FF) make an unsignifiant part. The Pentax 645D with its never seen feature set and price will 1. increase the size of the MF market, take the leadership in this market. 2. take a significant part of high end FF DSLR.

There will be some point where the "expert" segment of cameras (50D, D90, D300, 7D, K7...) will migrate toward FF, this will be most likely the moment when Pentaxwill decide to release a FF camera. But with the release of the last D300s and 7D, I think neither Canon, Nikon or Pentax believe it will happen now.

FF in 2010 ? No
FF in 2011 ? Unlikely
FF in 2012 ? Maybe
03-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #629
Pentaxian
redrockcoulee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Medicine Hat
Posts: 2,098
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Pentax clearly stated that there will no FF in 2010. The reason said what that with the 645D and APSC lineup they didn't have enough ressources. An untold reason may be also unavailibility of a sensor. There's 2 possibility around, the 24Mpx Sony CMOS and the 18Mpx CCD from Kadac (and used on the M9), but nobody knows exactly if they are available and interresting for Pentax.

Then there is the problem of the market size, if Pentax owns 10% of the market, 10% of a big cake make a decent part (APSC), 10% of a small cake (FF) make an unsignifiant part. The Pentax 645D with its never seen feature set and price will 1. increase the size of the MF market, take the leadership in this market. 2. take a significant part of high end FF DSLR.

There will be some point where the "expert" segment of cameras (50D, D90, D300, 7D, K7...) will migrate toward FF, this will be most likely the moment when Pentaxwill decide to release a FF camera. But with the release of the last D300s and 7D, I think neither Canon, Nikon or Pentax believe it will happen now.

FF in 2010 ? No
FF in 2011 ? Unlikely
FF in 2012 ? Maybe


Pentax will react to the market, that is true. I was just making the point that the odds of their FF camera when they do introduce it will be more sucessful if the 645D is well received. Remember it was not that long ago that Nikon said they were not planning on a full frame and now they have several lines of them.

I know there are several voices that are ready to jump ship unless FF comes out soon, I am not one of them. If I did have to predict a year I would guess and it is only a guess is some time in middle of next year.
03-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #630
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,862
QuoteOriginally posted by Shingoshi Quote
What further reason would Hoya have to introduce a FF, when the price of the 645D is competitive against CaNikon?
I see it the other way round.

645D is a big venture for Pentax. Which Pentax had big trouble to risk.

If it pays off (i.e., low volume at high margin compares well against the high volume low margin business) then Pentax may want to venture the only other similiar project: FF.

If Pentax sells 6000 units of 645D per year (which is what they seem to produce) then I am almost sure that Pentax will launch FF as soon as is technically possible for them.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Its 2010 now. Reportage General Talk 4 11-02-2010 10:18 AM
Picture of the Week 103: February 21, 2010 to March 7, 2010 Tamia Weekly Photo Challenges 55 03-07-2010 05:50 AM
Picture of the Week 102: February 14, 2010 to February 28, 2010 photolady95 Weekly Photo Challenges 57 02-27-2010 08:28 PM
Picture of the Week 101: February 7, 2010 to February 21, 2010 netuser Weekly Photo Challenges 63 02-24-2010 08:15 AM
Picture of the Week 100: January 31, 2010 to February 14, 2010 Peter Zack Weekly Photo Challenges 93 02-14-2010 12:43 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:19 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top