Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Kinda a bummer the stellar spectacular 31mm Limited won't hold up on full frame? Canon and Nikon both make $1,000 lenses that do hold up well on full frame.
Who's actually done the test? You go from Ned saying it "might not be up to the task" to a factual pronouncement. A little disingenuous I think...

10-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #92
Forum Member

i still dun understand why would they choose to revive 645 den to come up with a ff
10-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #93
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Who's actually done the test? You go from Ned saying it "might not be up to the task" to a factual pronouncement. A little disingenuous I think...
Indeed it's been tested on a FF dSLR - and done quite fine.
Why wouldn't it?
10-21-2009, 11:04 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Indeed it's been tested on a FF dSLR - and done quite fine.
Why wouldn't it?
I think that was Ned's "sales speak" to promote the DA lenses that are optimized for digital, vs the FA's that are film lenses.

I expect the FA's could show some corner softness and CA's when used on a FF under harsh conditions. I expect these are the issues that the DA lenses have been optimized to prevent.

I think in real life use, the FA's work extreamly well on FF cameras. It was just Ned towing the Pentax line, and pushing theDA's over the FA's.

10-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
There are also rumors floating around about a new Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 in ZE/ZF/ZK mounts...
That could be a killer. Do you have any links?
10-22-2009, 04:24 AM   #96
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Yes. I was in the VIP part of the booth and the manager said 2011 for the FF camera, feb. 2010 for the 645D and a surprise for 2010 (mirror less cam).
Interesting to see that many people had access to this VIP part. Cute girls, weren't they?
10-22-2009, 05:47 AM   #97
Veteran Member

What's the big deal about full frame from Pentax's perspective? Have they not released one because of the costs associated with designing the full frame sensor and production? Or is it they are concerned about Canon and Nikon monopolizing the full-frame market? Or all of the above? My guess is it would be the latter.

But geez, the more I look at photographs on the PPG that were taken with *ist and K100's and the like...I feel more and more confident in the brand and that it's only a matter of honing the photographic skills that will make me a better photographer in the end. A full frame sensor might make already good pictures look a little better...but will it make that much of a difference?

10-22-2009, 06:39 AM   #98

No fullframe I think.
(K4) Pentax roadmap for 2010 | k-rumors

There is to much fullframe obsession around here
10-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
That could be a killer. Do you have any links?
Zeiss Distagon ZF 1.4/35 | Nikon Rumors

there was some discussion over at fredmiranda as well.

I'm not sure how accurate or how soon we'll see it, but they did have a Cosina Zeiss 35mm f/1.4, so the optical design exists already.
10-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I agree that people take Ned Bunnell's statements a little bit too far. I think his argument should be more read in the spirit of "Well, we know our lenses -- some old, some new and designed for crop sensor format -- already work well on Camera A, but they might not do so well on more demanding full frame Camera B, and some of them won't work well at all. Therefore, isn't Camera A the smarter choice?"

And until Pentax/Hoya commits to coming out with new FF lenses, it's sort of hard to disagree with him on this point. Although personally I would love it if Pentax bought the Nikon D700 sensor, shoved it in the K-7 body, and let people try all their legacy glass out on it. But that, among many reasons, is why I am not in charge of an international camera company

For discussion purposes, here's an oldy but goodie thread from a German discussion forum where someone converted their FA31 to work on the 5D Mark II:

DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - Pentax FA 1,8/31 an Canon 5D II

Looks like pretty decent results for a mount and camera it wasn't designed to work with.

Also, here's the FA31 on a Canon 5d (not as much resolution, i know)

???: ???? Pentax FA 31 LE & Canon EOS 5D

He also converted the FA43:

???: ???? Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited

And the FA77:

???: ???? Pentax FA 77/1.8 Limited

Can someone with more technical knowledge than me explain why these lenses would work on these Canon FF cameras but not on a Pentax version? Assuming, of course, that legacy glass will be accepted on a full frame Pentax camera should it ever materialize.

This camera might not be as kind to lens flaws as an APS-C sensor camera would be (the edge softness of the FA*24 f/2 wide open might be worse on FF for example) but the lenses would still *work* would they not?
10-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #101

Great Post Urkeldaedalus!
10-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #102
Inactive Account

I personally have no interest in FF mostly for the price and the way i relate to photography. Its a pure sparetime fun hobby to me, and the (todays) price for FF and matching lenses does not justify it for me. But i do understand if it does for people that work and make a living by it.....blahhh nobody cares about these opinions.

So...Just to speculate further. Why not aim to be the best in APS-C?
Let Canon and Nikon have the glory for FF. Isnt FF a rather small part of the total camera market?

If Pentax would aim to be the best in what they already do, wouldnt that be sufficient? That would give us even better lenses and cameras.

I am new to Pentax and was drawn to it because it feels special and different from the rest. You all know what i mean with what makes Pentax special Everything!!!!

Well anyway. If some of you realy want FF from Pentax, then I certainly wont take that from you. As long as Pentax doesnt divert atention from the parts of their industry that needs atention.
10-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #103
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are definitely lots of aspects that deserve Pentax's attention, like SDM development, P-TTL consistency (according to many), more lenses in the long range and fast APS-C normal prime, and I would put most of these ahead of FF development.

OTOH, it's still feasible to make FF a reasonably high priority given the superior image quality, broader FOV and noise control you can gain from it (caveat: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/71896-low-noise-be...uals-zero.html), and that it can be used with old lenses, a legacy that Pentax prides itself with.

Last edited by Ash; 10-23-2009 at 01:42 PM.
10-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #104
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote

Can someone with more technical knowledge than me explain why these lenses would work on these Canon FF cameras but not on a Pentax version?
That ain't me, but it's pretty clear that they can work just fine. I can't think of any reason why they couldn't work.

I'm not even surprised that the 31 ltd outdid the 24-105 L in sharpness and contrast - the Limiteds are one of Pentax's success stories.
10-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Can someone with more technical knowledge than me explain why these lenses would work on these Canon FF cameras but not on a Pentax version?
I am also not that person but this may help. They would work okay, but just as Pentax sells DA for digital and FA for film, they would need to come up with a line designed for FF for those who demand the higher quality of a larger sensor. The biggest reason is DA lenses have more coatings to work with the quirks of a smaller (APS-C) digital sensor. If you stuck an FA or older legacy lens on a digital camera, whether it's APS-C or FF, the idea is you may have more CA and flare, etc. because they weren't designed for digital. These flaws would be even more apparent on a FF camera.

If I forked over the cash for a FF, I'd expect nothing less than perfect quality; and Pentax knows this.