Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #331
Forum Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

it will be good if its true that 2010 we have ff.
i've jumped from sony -> nikon -> canon -> pentax..
and pentax so far have the best price to quality ratio amongst those i have tried.

but pentax bodies amongst all has the worst af too
or maybe its just me.

hope they can improve on some of their technology

af
iso/noise
wireless flash

11-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #332
Veteran Member

You can get a Nikon F5 for ALOT LESS than "$500"

You can get a Nikon F5 for ALOT LESS than "$500"

In fact this offer came with RRS plate, a $180 L Plate for just $377 total.

That should make Nikon F5 cost $250 max.

Nikon F5 Camera with Really Right Stuff L Bracket - eBay (item 270482861639 end time Nov-14-09 14:23:22 PST)

I considered buying an F5 when it was new. At that point Nikon offered a non ai glass option added to F5 for $175 on top of $849. Instead I sold off my non ai glass & bought like new used eos-3 film body with drive for $475. I can use/adapt my remaining nikon lenses on it and Eos-3 film body was my first step in Eos platform. Eos-3 with drive is likely less than $400 thesedays. And as a bonus EOS-3 film camera drives all canon's image stabilized lenses too and offers center point autofocus with f8 lens combinations.

QuoteOriginally posted by Shingoshi Quote
I guess the thing that set me off was what appeared to be this fascination with the aura of a product, rather than the aura of the art. I believe that if we are both motivated by the aura of our art, no matter how different that may be one from the other, we will still in some way find a common ground.

It's kind of funny you mentioning Sony and Olympus. Because I was really thinking about this issue more after I wrote it. It's kind of sad, because each of these two companies represent two different strategies and history. Olympus has come by it's credentials as a camera company with complete legitimacy. While Sony has been actively snatching up any company they can find to support their goals. Sony grabbed Tamron, which had previously acquired Bronica. So it's really scary to think that if we ever see another Bronica product, it will be under the Sony name.

Since we have been discussing lenses heavily here in this topic, I was considering which companies have the longest history of maintaining a mostly compatible lens mount. What we're left with is Nikon, Olympus and Leica. Yes, we could mention Pentax. But Pentax really has a questionable future. So while I can buy a used Nikon F5 for less than $500, I still know that the company that made it is still actively engaged in producing cameras for the market that camera was directed to. Now I haven't yet checked the prices on an LX. But even if they're in the same relative range, the LX provides me no future. There's nothing available from Pentax that even comes close to the mastery of the LX.

This was a real consideration for me today. Because I first came to this forum to discuss the Pentax SF1. I didn't know anything about it, and assumed because of it's quirky appearance, that it might not be worth much of anything to me. But after reading the reports here, I realized it deserved a higher level of respect than I first gave. But then sank in the reality. I have only two old and cheap Pentax lenses left. And no matter how little I spent on an SF1, it would simply be economically unsound for me. I would be buying property on a dead end, on the hopes someone might come along and make a through street of it. I guess if you like living on dead ends, there might be something to like about that. But after having been duped into buying property on a dead end called the Canon FD lens line, I vowed not to ever make that mistake again. So the only lens line I will consider now is Nikon. Because it's still very viable for someone who depends on having a future.

Ok. Maybe I'm guilty of blogging here. But I was just trying to share the thoughts that came about for me today and recently as a result of the discussions here. And they have really helped me formulate what I hope is a better course of action. I had initially spoken of wanting a Kodak Pro SLR/n. I will likely still get one. But in the meantime I'm going to get a Nikon F5, since all of the lenses for it will work on the Kodak. Because another thing is that I've reevaluated my previous belief as to the nonviability of film. eBay is turning out to be too good for me. And it's opening my eyes to possibilities I never thought available before.

Since I would only be shooting Black & White, and I've had the greatest love for Ilford XP2, I started searching for and found plenty of film is there to be had. And I'm pleased to see there's actually a new XP2 Super around. Yes, this is a thread about digital cameras. But the reality is in the context of our discussion here, as it has already been pointed out by others, much of our desires are likely nothing more than fanciful thinking when it comes to Pentax meeting the desires of anyone here. So we are forced into the situation of finding alternatives. And when enough people do that (exceeding a tipping point), no amount of marketing is likely to get them back again. So I for one refuse to count on what is an unrealistic hope for the resurrection of a professional Pentax system, in any format.

If I had the money to pursue romantic myths, it would be Leica and the R9. I make no apologies to anyone for thinking it's the most beautiful camera ever designed. I am cursed by my love for beautiful things. That's partly responsible for my buying the T90. The R9 however is exponentially beyond anything the T90 was in sensual attraction.

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
ShingoshiDao
11-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #333
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

I have unbelievable info...It's hard to say if it's true...
But Hoya plan to launch 2 FF cameras - close to $1500 and close to $2000.
With different sensors.
Without a source, you're right. It's completely unbelievable. The only question is which person made it up...
11-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #334
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With different sensors.

645D will be in 2 versions - with AA filter and without. Removable sensor unit - maybe...Maybe...
Like in Ricoh, but only sensor unit.
Different size of sensor, different MP.
As Pentax will only switch the sensor assembly, it will be from the back of the camera, opposed to the Ricoh sensor+lens which must come out from the front.
I can see the day when you'll buy a SuperBock six packer with a FF attached as a gift.

Rui

11-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #335
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With different sensors.

645D will be in 2 versions - with AA filter and without. Removable sensor unit - maybe...Maybe...
Like in Ricoh, but only sensor unit.
Different size of sensor, different MP.
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
As Pentax will only switch the sensor assembly, it will be from the back of the camera, opposed to the Ricoh sensor+lens which must come out from the front.
I can see the day when you'll buy a SuperBock six packer with a FF attached as a gift.

Rui

United States Patent: 7471335
Attached Images

11-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #336
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
There's no use to Pentax if Pentax is Canikon-like.
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Not even if you have invested heavily in Pentax glass?
No, as Pentax lens prices keep rising most of us will make a good profit selling up and moving to canikon.. I certainly did.. I agree if Pentax were just like canikon it would have no appeal, and I certainly wouldn't have moved back from Nikon to Pentax as I recently did..

QuoteOriginally posted by Shingoshi Quote
I was considering which companies have the longest history of maintaining a mostly compatible lens mount. What we're left with is Nikon, Olympus and Leica. Yes, we could mention Pentax. But Pentax really has a questionable future.
I find it interesting you infer Olympus's future is more secure than Pentax? Its also funny you say they are compatible as they dropped the OM mount for 4/3, and seem to be departing 4/3 for u4/3.. yes 4/3 lens work on u4/3 but not all that well (AF is rather poor).. Leica is even more niche than Pentax..

The fact is Pentax has become a niche brand, fine if I/we/you want a mainstream me*too brand then use Canikon, Pentax's approach doesn't suit everyone and thats fine if they were the same as Nikon or Canon then I wouldn't be using them..
11-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #337
Veteran Member

Did you have a D700 ?

Did you have a D700 ? Is the full frame D700 the Nikon dslr you had, used and then sold off to return to Pentax ?

Heres the Two OM System adapters made by Olympus for Olympus 4/3 and Olympus Micro 4/3.

What OM System lenses did you use on your Olympus 4/3 or Micro4/3 digital ?

Olympus | MF-1 OM Adapter | 260231 | B&H Photo Video

Olympus | MF-2 OM Lens Adapter | 260051 | B&H Photo Video

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
No, as Pentax lens prices keep rising most of us will make a good profit selling up and moving to canikon.. I certainly did.. I agree if Pentax were just like canikon it would have no appeal, and I certainly wouldn't have moved back from Nikon to Pentax as I recently did..

I find it interesting you infer Olympus's future is more secure than Pentax? Its also funny you say they are compatible as they dropped the OM mount for 4/3, and seem to be departing 4/3 for u4/3.. yes 4/3 lens work on u4/3 but not all that well (AF is rather poor).. Leica is even more niche than Pentax..

The fact is Pentax has become a niche brand, fine if I/we/you want a mainstream me*too brand then use Canikon, Pentax's approach doesn't suit everyone and thats fine if they were the same as Nikon or Canon then I wouldn't be using them..

11-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #338
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Did you have a D700 ? Is the full frame D700 the Nikon dslr you had, used and then sold off to return to Pentax ?
Nope APS-C, I don't want to carry around a heavy FF camera at the moment. One of Pentax's advatnages IMO is the size and weight of the cameras (for what they offer) and the diminutive lenses...

QuoteQuote:
Heres the Two OM System adapters made by Olympus for Olympus 4/3 and Olympus Micro 4/3.
Yes I understand you can have adapters, you can also have adapters for Pentax lenses on 4/3s bodies with the same level (or lack) of functionality. Actually if we consider those adapters as meaning Olympus has maintained backwards compatibility then Pentax mount is also safe as Olympus has continued backwards compatibility for us.. Thats hardly compatible by Pentax standards..

Actually by that standard u4/3 has continued compatibility for almost every mount available

BTW I did own an e3, with various adapters for a while there..

Last edited by joele; 11-15-2009 at 11:32 PM.
11-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #339
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pocorn popped. Beer cold. Sittin' back.

11-17-2009, 12:57 AM   #340
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Pocorn popped. Beer cold. Sittin' back.
I'm just waiting for this thread to come out on DVD....
11-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #341
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Thi thread is temporarily closed while I try to sort out what's going on.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 11-17-2009 at 02:12 PM.
11-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #342
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

OK thread reopened and all flaming comments or quotes removed. Please go back to the question at hand and cool it.
11-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #343
Site Supporter

I predict that in Sep, 2010, someone will start a thread predicting the announcement of a Pentax FF body in 2011.
11-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #344
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I predict that in Sep, 2010, someone will start a thread predicting the announcement of a Pentax FF body in 2011.
...and pretend they never predicted it in 2010.

...or 2009.

...or - you get my drift.
11-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #345
Inactive Account

Does this really matter to the topic?

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
...and pretend they never predicted it in 2010.

...or 2009.

...or - you get my drift.
How does this comment not invite the same behavior that got this thread closed before. It seems like a passive attempt to start that behavior all over again. I for one would like to see comments like this cease entirely.

I think the fact is that if Pentax hasn't delivered a FF camera in 2010, they will have become irrelevant to those who have been waiting for one, having sent all of them off looking for real and available products to meet their needs.

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
ShingoshiDao