Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I think thibs is correct in his analysis.

I consider it a bug as well. At least there should be an option to discard corrections except for meta data inclusion.

Isn't it possible to enable correction in post processing (using DCU4) even if it was off in the camera? Maybe, setting a flag is enough to get the feature in LR.
I'm curious what the perceived advantage of having lens distortion and chromatic aberration correction enabled when shooting Raw mode is? I don't use Pentax's Silkypix-derived software, so maybe it's a workflow thing.

Personally I shoot in Raw mode, and when I just want a quick JPEG I process it in-camera - which gives me the option to apply both distortion and aberration correction, even if they weren't on when I made the shot.

Does the Pentax software on the PC not allow you to apply the corrections after the fact? If not, then it seems to me that the PC software is what needs to be changed, not the camera. If it already does this though, then I don't see the benefit of changing the in-camera behaviour, which already essentially gives you the choice to either turn the corrections off for speed, or turn them on if you want the embedded JPEG previews to show the correction results.

10-24-2009, 06:14 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
knoxploration, the problem is that in RAW-only mode, the camera is still slowed down much when those corrections are ON. The camera shouldn't be slowed down even the slightest bit but in Jpeg or Raw+Jpeg.
10-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #18
Veteran Member

thibs - I don't think you understood my point. Those corrections don't need to be switched on in Raw mode for them to be used. Try it - turn them both off, shoot a Raw, then process the Raw in-camera. You can still apply both corrections. I haven't used Pentax's PC software, but would expect the same to apply there. If it doesn't, then it's the PC software at fault, not the camera.

Processing images for distortion or aberrations takes time and processing power. The K-7 isn't magical, and can't somehow circumvent this. As far as I can see, it offers all possible options:

* Shoot in JPEG, uncorrected but fast
* Shoot in Raw with JPEG preview uncorrected, but fast
* Shoot in JPEG, corrected but slow(er)
* Shoot in Raw with JPEG preview corrected, but slow(er)

What's wrong with that behaviour?