Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax K-7 firmware version 1.02 is out!

Pentax just released version 1.02 of the K-7 firmware. The main feature addition is a second fine sharpness adjustment mode:

Details here: Latest K-7 Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

- Jason

10-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Inactive Account

right on, thanks for the news
10-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hah, I'd just upgraded the K-7 I received today to 1.13 literally 3 hours ago.
10-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the heads up.

Pentax needs a proofreader:
"After formatting the SD/SDHC card, copy the fwdc204b.bin file to the route directory of the SD/SDHC card."

10-21-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Would be really handly if they a) gave us an actual changelog and b) explained what "Fine Sharpness 2" does.
10-22-2009, 02:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

This is the most important for me:
QuoteQuote:
Improved operational stability when using the optional D-BG4 battery grip (e.g. the D-BG4 rear e-dial may become non-responsive in rare circumstances).
I had the D-BG4 rear e-dial become non-responsive a few times, and I was fearing a faulty grip... Good to see all it took was a firmware fix.

Wim
10-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Does fine sharpness 2 only work in JPG mode?

How about speeding up the preview display when we have lens corrections turned on in RAW mode ... right now it takes forever to process and display the image so this feature is useless to me.
10-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

As far as I know, all of those controls (contrast, saturation, sharpness, etc) only work in JPEG.

10-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you use Pentax Digital Utility, the RAW image will be tagged, so the converter will be able to use the information.
10-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Would be really handly if they a) gave us an actual changelog and b) explained what "Fine Sharpness 2" does.
I'm with you on that. But do they ever explain what Fine Sharpness (1) even does?
10-22-2009, 11:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I'm with you on that. But do they ever explain what Fine Sharpness (1) even does?
I don't think "they" ever did, but it's been explicated by others well enough.
10-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The reason why it takes time even in Raw mode is in fact very logical (which doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed, I'm just explaining what it is so now).
Any Raw file (DNG or PEF) has a Jpeg embedded into it for preview purposes (on camera or on the computer) without the need the process the whole RAW (which would render preview of file a lot slower on camera). Since the Jpeg needs to be embedded, it is processed for distortion/CA as if the camera was in Raw mode.

There're two solutions to this problem IMO and could be asked to Pentax for implementation:
* Have an option NOT to embed the jpeg in to the raw (but preview will be slow)
* Have an option NOT to process the embedded Jpeg (but you won't be able to check if anything was corrected).

Just my 2 cents.. Falk? Any input?
10-23-2009, 03:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Just my 2 cents.. Falk? Any input?
I think thibs is correct in his analysis.

I consider it a bug as well. At least there should be an option to discard corrections except for meta data inclusion.

Isn't it possible to enable correction in post processing (using DCU4) even if it was off in the camera? Maybe, setting a flag is enough to get the feature in LR.
10-23-2009, 04:00 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I don't think "they" ever did, but it's been explicated by others well enough.
I was one of those providing an explaination.

However, I have just seen the remark that "Sharpness" is available in K-x video recording while "Fine Sharpness" is not (it is in the manual).

I conclude that "Fine Sharpness" is more computationally intensive than "Sharpness". This contradicts my earlier explaination where both are USM with differing parameters. Seems "Sharpness" is no USM at all.

I am now more inclined to believe that "Sharpness" was an early and simple sharpening method used on the then slower processors. Now superseeded by "Fine Sharpness" which is more computationally intensive. One probably shouldn't compare the different sharpening methods at equal setting.

So, a setting of light "Fine Sharpening" may be superior to a setting of strong "Sharpening".
10-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #15

Based on the descriptions, it sounds like Sharpening is USM, while Fine Sharpening is USM with an edge mask.