Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #16
Forum Member

woah~ another interesting piece of info

10-23-2009, 12:29 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I would be glad to see Pentax FF camera in K10D/K20D body size. This will be awesome!
10-23-2009, 12:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I suspect the same. I can imagine the new FF camera being equipped with the good old pre-A diaphragm simulator, so that all K-mount lenses can be used. A camera like this will set like hot cakes, even though there are almost no new FF lenses for it available.
This ain't going to happen, even though I would love it if it did. Remember that Pentax decided to cripple the K-mount even before its first DSLR came out -- it's going to stay crippled forever. Sorry.
10-23-2009, 12:55 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
How many DA lenses did Pentax launch their first DSLR, the *ist D with?
I know this is a rhetorical question, but the answer is less than "not many", it is zero. It launched with one FA-J lens, which was not explicitely designed for digital.

10-23-2009, 12:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And the istD didn't sell enough, it was too late-too expensive, I wouldn't take it as an exaple of what is correct to do.
10-23-2009, 01:59 AM   #21
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
This ain't going to happen, even though I would love it if it did. Remember that Pentax decided to cripple the K-mount even before its first DSLR came out -- it's going to stay crippled forever. Sorry.
Why does Pentax have to stay married to the idea of a crippled K-mount?
What makes a Pentax dSLR not be able to support auto stop-down metering of K and M lenses?
10-23-2009, 02:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
What makes a Pentax dSLR not be able to support auto stop-down metering of K and M lenses?
There's no technical reason that it can not be done, but Pentax has not released a camera with a fully functional K-mount since 2001, and the entire market is moving away from mechanical parts in cameras as much as possible, so I really doubt Pentax will ever make a body more expensive just so it can fully support lenses from the 1970's -- and therefore cannibalize sales of new lenses.

Almost everyone on this forum is an enthusiast with a few old lenses kicking around and we would all love to see the mechanical stop down coupling return, but in the eyes of the marketing department, that means nothing.

10-23-2009, 03:27 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It could be cool, this sensor was in Kodak FF camera.
Hmmh, earlier you wrote
So it seems you don't know after all?

To your credit you later on wrote
It appears you forgot to add a "I believe..." to your first statement.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
They could provide better support for old lenses right now through software, e.g., by letting the user dial in the f-ratio, matching it with the f-ratio set on the lens. A tiny bit of software but they don't do it. Sends a message to me.
10-23-2009, 04:29 AM   #24
RaduA

The answers are in the very datasheet you included:

QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
With all the rumors of possible sensor suppliers (Kodak, Samsung, Cypress and Hitachi) I wonder if Hoya/Pentax is shopping around to get the best possible price. By creating competition among the different sensor suppliers for price quotes, Hoya/Pentax is bound to get a good deal on the final sensor that will go into the new Pentax FF DSLR.

Some things that are important to me in a future Pentax FF DSLR Sensor are:

● High ISO Performance (like the Nikon D700) Useable ISO 12,800

Apparently the same sensor (which was designed in 2001-2002 and deployed since late 2002 in Kodak DCS-14n) could do in that camera only ISO 80-400(640 from other sources) for the full image and up to ISO 800 for less than full resolution. In the latter DCS Pro the max ISO was 1600 for RAW.
Of course the electronics inside that Kodak are crap by today standards and also the noise suppressing algorithms are also vastly improved. Yet I doubt a potential camera with today's technologies could do more than 2 stops better with the same sensor. So expect a clean ISO 800 and a messy ISO 3200 tops.

● Strong Resolving Power (able to capture great detail)

That sensor was different since had no AA filter so it's resolving power was great for that time. The backside of the coin is that moire must be processed (which is possible - see Leica M9).

● Excellent Color Reproduction

Well the problem is whether or not one prefers pleasant but not close to reality colors or more natural ones. Either way I think most contemporary cameras can do both via profiles.

● Video

Yes, if video for you means 567 x 378 @ 30 fps. No if it doesn't!

● LiveView

Again, yes if you want less resolution in LV than the current 3" VGA LCDs. No if you don't!

● At least 5 FPS

Well ... no!
Radu
10-23-2009, 04:55 AM   #25
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Hmmh, earlier you wrote

So it seems you don't know after all?

To your credit you later on wrote

It appears you forgot to add a "I believe..." to your first statement.
Please, make correct quotes. Full posts. Don't drag in quotations!!!

I said about DIFFERENT cameras. First - about FF, second - about APS-C.
10-23-2009, 05:06 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Almost everyone on this forum is an enthusiast with a few old lenses kicking around and we would all love to see the mechanical stop down coupling return, but in the eyes of the marketing department, that means nothing.
It's up to the marketing department to come up with new FF lenses with real added value. What about weather sealing and real ring-type USM motors. If Pentax is afraid for lower lens sales then why on earth do they advertise that the bodies are compatible with millions of lenses. A strange markting department if you ask me.

Hoya already made the K-7 possible; why shouldn't we expect a flagship camera (and only a flagship, not the lower models) with non-crippled mount? Like I said: this would sell like hotcakes and draw attention to the brand.
10-23-2009, 06:50 AM   #27

Original Poster
Hello Radu,

My first post was taken from a Chinese website. It's just speculation.

When I made my third post, I listed six things I would like to see in a sensor for a FF Pentax DSLR.

Namely:

● High ISO Performance (like the Nikon D700) Useable ISO 12,800
● Strong Resolving Power (able to capture great detail)
● Excellent Color Reproduction
● Video
● LiveView
● At least 5 FPS

I never stated that the Cypress sensor was capable of delivering these. I would really like to see a FF CMOS Samsung sensor (similar to what is in the K20D and K-7, just FF sized) in the FF Pentax DSLR. Samsung has really stayed ahead of the competition in CMOS sensor development.

Pentax and possibly Hoya do read these forums (I believe Ned even mentioned this in an interview). It's a sounding board for opinions and ideas that I believe helps them to build better products. That's why I listed six things I would like to see in a FF sensor. What sensor Hoya/Pentax will finally go with is anyone's guess. Others have stated they want a fully functional K-Mount. It may or may not happen but they are letting Hoya/Pentax know what they would like to see in a new flagship camera by stating it here.

If you have ideas about sensors or a possible FF DSLR from Pentax please share them.

Cheers,

AK
10-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #28
Inactive Account

I would love to see pentax come out with something FF in the size of the K20D - Sony has more or less already shown that it can be done.

The IQ of the K20D I think is still superior to most of what is available out there if you're willing to do a bit of PP. D300s almost looks like it's made a bit of a step backward in terms of detail in order to cope with the noise of video.

If Pentax introduces a 'budget' FF comparable to the A850, I think they'd find a lot of happy customers on their hands. lens availability might be a bit of a problem at first, but most will just stick their legacy glass on or use 3rd party solutions for the time being. I'd suspect they would make it work with crop lenses as well while they release some new designs - i don't see that it would cost them too much in terms of R&D either since they could adapt a lot of the legacy lens designs that are still revered.
10-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #29
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by libbyh Quote
I would love to see pentax come out with something FF in the size of the K20D - Sony has more or less already shown that it can be done.
Yes. Many posters seem to expect a direct correlation between sensor and camera body size, but I just saw a comparison between a medium format Leica S2 and FF Canon 1Ds mk III, and Leica's actually a bit smaller by volume and most measures.
10-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
It's up to the marketing department to come up with new FF lenses with real added value. What about weather sealing and real ring-type USM motors. If Pentax is afraid for lower lens sales then why on earth do they advertise that the bodies are compatible with millions of lenses. A strange markting department if you ask me.

Hoya already made the K-7 possible; why shouldn't we expect a flagship camera (and only a flagship, not the lower models) with non-crippled mount? Like I said: this would sell like hotcakes and draw attention to the brand.
My sentiments exactly. When it was time for me to go digital, the fact that I could use all of the lenses I already owned was a huge reason for me to go with Pentax. That, and all of the good reviews the K10 was getting. Also, I think the bit about making a non-crippled mount on the flagship only makes perfect sense. And I still want new glass, too, but the fact that I could already have a variety of lenses at the ready was a big selling point.