Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #1

Possible Pentax FF Sensor

This was posted on DPREVIEW but I'm reposting the Google Translated Version here (from Chinese):

Google Translate

Original Chinese Article:

http://www.nphoto.net/news/2009-10/22/6f1e08121de985fa.shtml

You may need a Google account to translate the article, if you do not have a Google account here is a rough translation:

Said that this news was somewhat encouraging, primarily as a traditional camera Pentax manufacturing firms, and finally also the rapid pace of entering full-time, according to foreign media and User's double exposure, the extent of this news seems conclusive up a lot.

宾得FF可能会使用的CMOS实物图 Pentax FF may use the CMOS physical map

从 dpreview的内容来看,2010的巴黎影像展会上将公布一款全画幅的数码单反相机——宾得Pentax FF,除此之外国内媒体的功力自然不能小觑,已经有关于此款单反所使用一家名为Cypress的公司新开发了全幅CMOS,从规格到设计结构一并公布,看来这次宾得推出新全幅绝非空穴来风了,全幅将会是来年的市场热点之一了,其次相对的应该是可换镜头消费类数码相机的竞争。 From the dpreview the contents of the point of view, 2010 will be published in the Paris images show a full-frame digital SLR cameras - Pentax Pentax FF, the skill of a natural addition to domestic media can not be underestimated, there are already about one-Cikuan Anti-used a company called Cypress developed a new full-size CMOS, from specifications to the design of the structure should also be announced, it seems the introduction of new full-size Pentax not come from nowhere, and the whole site will be one of the hot markets in the coming year, and Second, the relative should be interchangeable lenses for consumer digital cameras competition.

这款CMOS结构设计图 The CMOS structure of the design

而年初Cypress公司公布的高开口率CMOS传感器(每个像素开口率8μm),是否会被使用到宾得新款全幅单反上至今没有一个明确的解释,但如果能够使用这款总像素达到3048x4560的CMOS,可以说在宾得系列相机中将成为继645D之后的又一重要标志。 Cypress Corporation announced the beginning of the high aperture ratio CMOS sensor (one for each pixel aperture ratio 8μm), will be used to the new full-size SLR Pentax there has never been a clear explanation, but if we can use the new total pixels to 3048x4560 The CMOS, can be said that in the PENTAX series of cameras will be following after the 645D is another important sign.

CMOS布局图 CMOS Layout

Cypress 公司公布了此款CMOS的设计PDF: 下载地址 Cypress Corporation announced Cikuan CMOS design PDF: Download

It looks like the sensor will be a Cypress 14 million megapixel CMOS design. At 14 Million megapixel this sensor should have performance roughly on par with the Nikon D700. Low light capabilities and high ISO should be very, very good. Read more about the sensor here:

Google Translate

If you don't have a Google account here is an excerpt of the translated white paper

CYII4SC014KAA-GTC CYII4SC014KAA-GTC
CYII4SM014KAA-GEC CYII4SM014KAA-GEC
IBIS4-14000 14-MegaPixel CMOS IBIS4-14000 14-MegaPixel CMOS
Image Sensor Image Sensor
Cypress Semiconductor Corporation Cypress Semiconductor Corporation
198 Champion Court 198 Champion Court
San Jose San Jose
CA 95134-1709 CA 95134-1709
408-943-2600 408-943-2600

Document #: 38-05709 Rev. *D Document #: 38-05709 Rev. * D

Revised September 18, 2009 Revised September 18, 2009

Features:
The IBIS4-14000 is a CMOS active pixel image sensor that is The IBIS4-14000 is a CMOS active pixel image sensor that is comprised of 14 MegaPixels with 3048 x 4560 active pixels on comprised of 14 MegaPixels with 3048 x 4560 active pixels on an 8m pitch. The sensor has a focal plane array of 36 x 24mm an 8m pitch. The sensor has a focal plane array of 36 x 24mm and operates in rolling shutter mode. At 15 MHz, 3 fps are and operates in rolling shutter mode. At 15 MHz, 3 fps are achieved at full resolution. On-chip FPN correction is available achieved at full resolution. On-chip FPN correction is available. The pixel design is based on the high-fill-factor active pixel The pixel design is based on the high-fill-factor active pixel sensor technology of Cypress Semiconductor Corporation (US sensor technology of Cypress Semiconductor Corporation (US patent No. 6,225,670 and others). The sensor is available in a patent No. 6,225,670 and others). The sensor is available in a monochrome version and a Bayer (RGB) patterned color filter monochrome version and a Bayer (RGB) patterned color filter array.

This data sheet allows the user to develop a camera system based on the described timing and interfacing.

More information about Cypress here:

About Cypress - Cypress Semiconductor - PSoC - Programmable System - on - Chip - microcontrollers - USB controllers - Cypress Semiconductor

A full frame Pentax K Mount DSLR is going to rock!

Last edited by Angevinn; 10-22-2009 at 10:25 AM.
10-22-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

interesting stuff for sure!
10-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
Cypress is a pretty interesting company. Here is a news release about their work on the NEC Toshiba satellite.

Cypress Designs World`s First Back-Side Illuminated, Digital Output CMOS Image Sensor for NEC TOSHIBA Space Systems` Satellite Applications | Reuters

Cypress developed a backside illuminated CMOS sensor for the NEC Toshiba Satellite.

Here is another blurb from the Cypress website:

"For CMOS image sensor-based digital still cameras (DSCs), Cypress performs with the best CMOS image sensors in the industry. Our Autobrite(TM) technology provides fantastic image quality. Our Programmable System-on-Chip™ (PSoC™) reduces component count, and therefore cost, in a variety of applications including power and battery management, lens motor control, image stabilization, and many others."

I was really expecting Pentax to go with Samsung afterall, Samsung CMOS sensors are what is being used in the Pentax K-7 and the older K20D. The Samsung sensors are quite good. Samsung has also been developing its own CMOS FF sensors. I wonder if this means Samsung will develop their own FF DSLR that uses the K-Mount but their own CMOS sensor?

I'm glad that the megapixels are not too high. I'm very interested in high ISO capabilities. This Cypress CMOS sensor sounds pretty sweet. At least Pentax is staying away from Kodak CCD sensors (CCD sensors are all that Kodak makes these days). A CMOS sensor is necessary for LiveView and Video applications.
10-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It could be cool, this sensor was in Kodak FF camera.
"FAT" pixel and outstanding colours, but I doubt.

10-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
Inactive Account

That's it.

I'm gonna start calling sensors "buttons" from now on.
10-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax - Hitachi

I know that Pentax was developing a cmos sensor together with Hitachi. There should be some outcome from that R&D that people don't talk about.

Rui
10-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #7

Original Poster
With all the rumors of possible sensor suppliers (Kodak, Samsung, Cypress and Hitachi) I wonder if Hoya/Pentax is shopping around to get the best possible price. By creating competition among the different sensor suppliers for price quotes, Hoya/Pentax is bound to get a good deal on the final sensor that will go into the new Pentax FF DSLR.

Some things that are important to me in a future Pentax FF DSLR Sensor are:

● High ISO Performance (like the Nikon D700) Useable ISO 12,800
● Strong Resolving Power (able to capture great detail)
● Excellent Color Reproduction
● Video
● LiveView
● At least 5 FPS

10-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Woo-hoo!!!
Now, if I only knew it was really true and when it will actually be available.
10-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Will these manufacturers make...

all of the necessary FF lenses to have at the ready when this delight of a new cam debuts? ;-)

**Kodak, Samsung, Cypress and Hitachi**
10-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
all of the necessary FF lenses to have at the ready when this delight of a new cam debuts? ;-)

**Kodak, Samsung, Cypress and Hitachi**
How many DA lenses did Pentax launch their first DSLR, the *ist D with? Not many, but now look at DA line up from Pentax. Quite impressive! The DFA lenses will come in time. The camera isn't even out yet.
10-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
How many DA lenses did Pentax launch their first DSLR, the *ist D with? Not many, but now look at DA line up from Pentax. Quite impressive! The DFA lenses will come in time. The camera isn't even out yet.
I suspect the same. I can imagine the new FF camera being equipped with the good old pre-A diaphragm simulator, so that all K-mount lenses can be used. A camera like this will set like hot cakes, even though there are almost no new FF lenses for it available.
10-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would agree too.
Once the camera comes out, I could see a lot of people getting interested in it, even defecting from the big 2 (and elsewhere) and coming to Pentax. Then before long a whole set of DFAs will come springing forth, 'cause I can't see Pentax encouraging customers to just use their old F and FA glass on it...

But I don't quite get the "3 fps are achieved at full resolution at 15Mhz" statement in the translated spec sheet above. Is it that the larger sensor's speed limits image processing ability to 3 fps? I'm not sure that would stack up well in the FF arena...
10-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
With all the rumors of possible sensor suppliers (Kodak, Samsung, Cypress and Hitachi) I wonder if Hoya/Pentax is shopping around to get the best possible price. By creating competition among the different sensor suppliers for price quotes, Hoya/Pentax is bound to get a good deal on the final sensor that will go into the new Pentax FF DSLR.

Some things that are important to me in a future Pentax FF DSLR Sensor are:

● High ISO Performance (like the Nikon D700) Useable ISO 12,800
● Strong Resolving Power (able to capture great detail)
● Excellent Color Reproduction
● Video
● LiveView
● At least 5 FPS
let's not forget we need a reasonable cost of the final body to go along with all this.
10-22-2009, 01:08 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Well, about this sensor... it has:
- unknown high ISO performance
- 14MP
- no video (only if you count 720p@12fps, or vga resolution as "video")
- low resolution Live View only
- 3fps
10-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #15

Come on, Pentax. Make it small! I would love to see something akin to the K7 size difference vs. other aps-c bodies, only full frame. Shave 20 percent or whatever off the current size FF bodies. If anyone is going to do it, it will be Pentax. I already have a decent collection of FF glass. Would love to put it to full use on a digital body someday.

Last edited by unkabin; 10-22-2009 at 02:19 PM.