Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

Until I came to this forum I never had any thoughts about Pentax being an inferior brand...still don't...but it seems to be a big focus for some.
I agree.
It's all about the photographer and what he can do with the kit available.
It's great to see what the potential of a camera, like the K200d, that isn't a so-called "pro" camera can do.

10-24-2009, 11:06 PM   #17
Igilligan

What I love best...

he is using a 10 dollar flash... haha so much for those 400 dollar ones.

What incredible shots....
10-25-2009, 12:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's interesting to know that somehow some of the wonderful shots here are taken with K200D.
Do you guys remember Keitha? Her amazing shots are all taken with K200D too.

This makes me think more next time before upgrading my camera gears since I feel that what limits me is not the camera but myself
10-25-2009, 01:09 AM   #19
Veteran Member

For the videos he took - what did he use? burst mode and animate them?

10-25-2009, 03:18 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Beautiful pictures

beautiful pictures, I've checked the show from MsNBC, nice! I have to buy some macro lens on my k200d
10-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joeydemayo Quote
beautiful pictures, I've checked the show from MsNBC, nice! I have to buy some macro lens on my k200d
In the article, he uses a 28mm, reversed, with extension tubes.
10-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Did any of you stop to think that maybe he wasn't allowed to mention the brand?

The camera and lens are just the tools.
Not allowed?? Who's to stop him, if that's what he uses? The network might be reluctant to have mention without some sort of compensation, but that's no restraint on him.

Bah. Not important in the grand scheme of things. I shouldn't have commented.

10-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #23
Forum Member

Macrophotography Setup on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

He lists his setup in detail here...
10-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Did any of you stop to think that maybe he wasn't allowed to mention the brand?

The camera and lens are just the tools.
Exactly...TV shows don't care to have brand names mentioned on their shows as it may be construed by some, as an endorsement for a particular product. In addition the channel may have other camera companies that are advertisers on the channel and I'm sure these advertisers would not appreciate what they may perceive as a free advertisement for a product.

It used to be in TV shows and movies a camera would have the nameplate covered with black electrical tape, say if it was a black bodied camera. The idea was to disguise the brand.

Nowadays you don't see so much of that practice, but then the concept of companies paying for product placement in a TV show or movie is quite common.
10-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Exactly...TV shows don't care to have brand names mentioned on their shows as it may be construed by some, as an endorsement for a particular product. In addition the channel may have other camera companies that are advertisers on the channel and I'm sure these advertisers would not appreciate what they may perceive as a free advertisement for a product.

It used to be in TV shows and movies a camera would have the nameplate covered with black electrical tape, say if it was a black bodied camera. The idea was to disguise the brand.

Nowadays you don't see so much of that practice, but then the concept of companies paying for product placement in a TV show or movie is quite common.
He is an art student. Likely he is ambivalent to brand and phrased himself on TV to make what he is doing appear accessible. e.g. You don't need expensive, brand-specific gear to do what he does.
10-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ChainbreakR Quote
Macrophotography Setup on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

He lists his setup in detail here...
Thanks a lot for sharing the link. All his pictures are really amazing. I haven't ever seen such good clarity. Today I can say I am proud I own a Pentax K200D... one day maybe I'll do the same quality macros
10-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #27
emr

He seems to be a very talented young man, not only photography-wise. His Flickr pages include a link to his other Flicks account which contains pictures that he's drawn. Well done.
10-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #28
Banned

I bet the NBC Today Show producer told him not to mention the brand name.
10-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I bet the NBC Today Show producer told him not to mention the brand name.
I agree Joe. I wouldn't be surprised. He almost seemed to hesitate when the interviewer asked him what kind of camera equipment he used..it was if he was being careful with his answer.

The show was good, the photos that young guy takes are great.
10-28-2009, 04:49 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Ten dollar flash, twenty dollar lens from 1984 (did you guys notice it's the cheapo, oft-reviled "Takumar Bayonet" lens he's using?) and a $500 "entry level" 10 mp DSLR. Yet more evidence that it isn't gear that matters.