Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax posts a profit.

I haven't seen this mentioned, and I think it deserves its own thread:

For the three months ending September 30, 2009, Pentax was profitable. The quarterly report (PDF) came out today, and listed a profit of nearly 1.2 billion yen in the quarter on an operating margin of 4.2%. This compares to a loss of nearly 2.5 billion yen, on a margin of -7.4%, in the same quarter last year.

From page 3:
QuoteQuote:
In medical endoscopes, restrained buying by medical organizations, and the impact on (sic) the yen on overseas sales, which make up most of the segment, resulted in a fall of earnings for the quarter relative to the same period last year.

In digital cameras, were (sic) there were some products launched on the market which generated interest, the number of units sold fell relative to the same period last year, and price declines due to tough price competition led to reduced earnings.

As a result, segment sales during the quarter were 27,920 million yen. In terms of operating profit and loss, the cost reduction impact from restructuring implemented in the prior year led to a profit of 1,185 million, an improved profitability than in the same quarter last year or preceding quarter.
Sounds like doom and gloom, which might be because most of the other Hoya segments are making ~20% margins, but still a profit. And we don't know the relative profitability of endoscopes compared to cameras.

The previous quarter, by way of reference, lost 941 million yen at a margin of -3.8%.

I'm happy with this news.

10-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is good - there are lots of naysayers, but this is a welcome report on Pentax's viability.
Hope to see some follow through with photo gear sales...
11-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does this mean lower prices for us????
11-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
Does this mean lower prices for us????
No.

Higher (lens) prices mean profit for them.

11-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I was only wishing there.We are allowed to dream!!!!
11-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
I was only wishing there.We are allowed to dream!!!!
Yeap. I know. And I should have added the
11-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It's alright monochrome,we all may have a reason to oneday when the Pentax prices come down