Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2009, 07:04 AM   #1

Samsung NX relese on December 10!

And final specs:
Mount: Samsung NX
Sensor: 23.4 x 15.6mm APS-C CMOS 14.6 mega pixels (1.5x)
Body: polycarbonate sealed against dust and moisture
Image stabilization: Optical Image Stabilization system (OIS)
Processor: DRIM image processor
Format image: JPEG, DNG, JPEG-DNG
Video: FullHD 1080p/30fps
Recording format: H.264 HD
Recording quality: SF, F, N
Audio: Built-in real stereo
Audio format: AAC
Focus system: Contrast Autofocus with 16 AF areas, face detection and tracking mode, manual focus (focus by wire)
Shutter: mechanical shutter, bulb, 30s-1/6000, 4.5fps
Sensitivity: ISO 100-3200 (50-6400)
Viewfinder: Electronic Viewfinder 1080p/260Hz, 100% coverage, 1X magnification
Main screen: AMOLED 3″, 921.000 dots, 120Hz
Flash: Pop-up, GN12
Connectivity: HDMI, USB 2.0, Video/Audio out, BlueTooth, WiFi
Storage media: SD/SDHC

source: Pentax rumors and Samsung rumors

10-31-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
emr

I hoped earlier that this would be the EVIL camera to use K mount lenses with. But considering it looks fairly big, has on-lens IS only and at the minimum needs an adapter to use K mount lenses (if that's even possible), I'm not that interested anymore. The rumoured Ricoh remains to be seen.
10-31-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Interesting viewfinder specs. 1080p seems very good, but what use 260Hz has if the cam can take only 30 fps video (or can it feed the video without compression and saving at higher rates to the EVF?).

If i recall correctly then minumum speed for human to seem as smooth motion was 48 fps/Hz, wich can be tricked down to 24 if double exposing (having actual blackout between two identical frames) each frame. 30 and 25were used because of the 50/60Hz mains frequency and 500Hz is the maximum speed at which human can "register" something that is in a single frame (or a fast motion). All values being approximate and a little different to each person.

Another thing is lag. 260Hz video would be very nice and basically seamless even for fast stuff, but if the stream needs 0.5s (=2Hz) time to go from the sensor to EVF it has no real use in fast action, just a "very HD" playback of what has happened 0.5s ago.
10-31-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NX puts 4/3 to the dust.
14.6 MP, APS-C and 4.5 fps.
Sealed against dust and moisture. Wow!
4/3 is just more compact system (without lenses).

Last edited by ogl; 10-31-2009 at 07:48 AM.
10-31-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lessee, a new lens mount proprietary to a camera only slightly smaller than a compact SLR? No in body IS? Thank you, no. Especially considering the high ISO noise performance of the Samsung sensor in the K-7, which limits it's usefulness as a EDC camera, at least to me.

It they had released it before the EP1 or the GF1, maybe. But now, I'll probably buy a K-x as a small(er) EDC camera and wait on the Ricoh (hopefully some level of lens compatibility) or the EP2 (hopefully the EF1 with a veiwfinder, or the GF1 with in-body IS).
10-31-2009, 08:28 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I hoped earlier that this would be the EVIL camera to use K mount lenses with. But considering it looks fairly big, has on-lens IS only and at the minimum needs an adapter to use K mount lenses (if that's even possible), I'm not that interested anymore. The rumoured Ricoh remains to be seen.
I donīt understand why the people wait the same K mount on NX camera.

The lens-sensor distance is smaller and is a different system than a reflex...

The Ricoh EVIL system wonīt use the K mount it will be like NX system.
10-31-2009, 08:31 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
Lessee, a new lens mount proprietary to a camera only slightly smaller than a compact SLR? No in body IS? Thank you, no. Especially considering the high ISO noise performance of the Samsung sensor in the K-7, which limits it's usefulness as a EDC camera, at least to me.

It they had released it before the EP1 or the GF1, maybe. But now, I'll probably buy a K-x as a small(er) EDC camera and wait on the Ricoh (hopefully some level of lens compatibility) or the EP2 (hopefully the EF1 with a veiwfinder, or the GF1 with in-body IS).
What compatibility do you hope between K-mount and Ricoh EVIL system.

Neither 4/3 has completely compatibility with M4/3, they must us a adapter...

10-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
ogl
Banned

The specs of NX is the death of micro 4/3.
10-31-2009, 08:53 AM   #9
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote

Silly post. High ISO performance of Samsung sensor is not bad. No NR in RAW in K-7 till ISO1600. If you add colour NR to K-7's PEF in convertor you'll get very good IQ. Not worse than K-x at ISO1600, but with better resolution and colours.

The resolution, per-pixel sharpness and colour filters of Samsung sensor are very good.
K-7 and K20D beats K-x.

Inbody IS - is there IS in micro 4/3? IS in camera needs more space.
Optical IS is not worse and even could be better.
10-31-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
No more so than the standard APS-C was the death of the standard 4/3 systems.
10-31-2009, 09:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think this is kind of like saying the specs of the K7 surely meant the death of the D300!

Yeah those specs are great, I wont argue with that at all. But, I do think it is alittle late to the party. Even though these EVIL cameras areNT EXACTLY(edited) dslrs, you are asking people to buy into a lens system. Panny and Oly have already begun a fairly decent M4/3 system, and offer their own adapters for standard 4/3, which is a pretty hashed out, full lineup of available lenses. On the other hand, what does samsung have to offer on the optical side to the system formula? They seem to be parting ways with Pentax at every step these days. So, would you rather buy into m4/3 system which is already several body generations deep with glass to match, or a new system from lone-wolf, (it appears at this point anyway) primarily electronics company who may have perhaps a half dozen limited lens choices in the next year or two?

I would also like to see the physical dimensions next to a Kx - looking at the tradeshow photos it looks as though it is a small dslr without a decent hand grip to me, not terribly appealing to be honest! Where is the pocket-ability if they can only shave less than a centimeter around the edges?

Bluetooth, wifi (battery drainers) and a slightly larger sensor aside, I just dont see what this camera has that the m4/3 cameras haven't already cornered where the market is concerned.
10-31-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Silly post. High ISO performance of Samsung sensor is not bad. No NR in RAW in K-7 till ISO1600. If you add colour NR to K-7's PEF in convertor you'll get very good IQ. Not worse than K-x at ISO1600, but with better resolution and colours.

Inbody IS - is there IS in micro 4/3? IS in camera needs more space.
Optical IS is not worse and even could be better.
Way to put other people down, good job! and the ep-1 has built in stabilization, you seriously didnt know that?
10-31-2009, 09:10 AM   #13
ogl
Banned

1. Electronic Viewfinder 1080p/260Hz, 100% coverage, 1X magnification.
It's outstanding.
2. 23.4 x 15.6mm APS-C CMOS 14.6 mega pixels (1.5x)
Much better resolution than 4/3, better colour = bigger pixel, lower noise
3. Audio: Built-in real stereo
4. Shutter: 1/6000, 4.5fps
It's the level of DSLR
5. Main screen: AMOLED 3″, 921.000 dots, 120Hz.
It's really cool.
6. Body sealed against dust and moisture
Is there 4/3 camera with WR?
10-31-2009, 09:12 AM   #14
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Way to put other people down, good job! and the ep-1 has built in stabilization, you seriously didnt know that?
I don't care about Olympus micro 4/3. EP-1 is really mediocre camera. With IS or without.
Too late. Too poor functional. Too slow. With rather mediocre fixed lens.
Panasonic is more interesting.
10-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

All that is nice OGL, but limited, unknown lens availablility/roadmap will shut down this deal for just about anyone who cares enough about these kinds of cameras to actually research them.

And you can stick a GF1 in a zip lock bag - I am being serious.

haha, the ep-1 was too late? that was oly's first offering! I am sure they will have plenty coming up that will prove much better than their FIRST ATTEMPT.

Panasonic really already has the strangle-hold here though, a fleshed out system with multiple lenses available, dedicated adapter for standard 4/3 (and other lenses). NONE of what you said trumps panasonic's current SYSTEM. The only images we have of the NX HAVE A BODY CAP ON IT...does this make it a pin-hole lineup?