Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2009, 10:23 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Does anyone know what "manual focus (focus by wire)" mean? I haven't a clue. (perhaps focus by wire means using the LCD screen?)
Focus by wire usually means that the focus control (ring, buttons, whatever) are not physically connected to the focus motor.

10-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #32
Veteran Member

This is a RUMOR

So, maybe before discussing it, one may check the credibility.

Hunting down the original source of this rumor, I am finding user "DSLR" at forum photofan.jp.

Not only has this user only 15 posts. No, he additionally posted 5 days ago another rumor as follows:
QuoteQuote:
New Sony 35mm full size 14.6 effective megapixels CMOS Exmor image sensor.

Features and size

-High quality in 35mm full size image sensor with 14.6 effective megapixels
-Column-Parallel A/D Conversion method
-Ultra high speed digital output (12 digital channel parallel LVDS output)
-12bit-AD converter on chip
-Multiples readout modes
-Scan mode 15.2 frames/s (12bit)
-Window readout
-Diagonal width 43.3mm (type 2.7)
-Total pixels 4752 (H) x 3213 (V) approx. 15.26M pixels
-Effective pixels 4692 (H) x 3115 (V) approx. 14.61M pixels
-Active pexels 4661 (H) x 3096 (V) approx. 14.43M pixels
-Chip size 41mm (H) x 31.9mm (V)
-Unit cell size 7.91μm (H) x 7.91 μm (V)
Is the latter rumor credible? I don't know. I am very suspicious if a new user posts 2 previously undisclosed spec sheets from two different vendors within just 1 week ...
10-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Does anyone know what "manual focus (focus by wire)" mean? I haven't a clue. (perhaps focus by wire means using the LCD screen?)
It means that the lens does not have a mechanical focus ring, or has no focus ring at all.
You manually focus it by some sort of electronic control (electronic ring on lens, dial or button on camera), but the focussing is done by electroc motor instead of direct mechanical link.

Still my question about the actual implementation of those high spec's of LCD remains.
Will it lag, have lower image frame rate (30Hz sensor) or read data out of the sensor and put it on lcd in 1/260 [s] (260Hz).

About the mount. It is not smart to make EVIL with SLR registration distance, because it would take away most of its advantages (smaller camera, smaller and simpler normal/wide lenses, ability to use more adopters). Since you can't get focus at such distance it does not make much sense to mount them there, so why use the same mount? Unless you want to use K macro tube as K->NX adapter or have EVIL as bulky as DSLR.

Anyway, unless the mount is highly adoptable (with full or most functionality) to some well known system (preferably for us K), it will have much less usefullness.
10-31-2009, 10:43 AM   #34
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
This is a RUMOR

Not only has this user only 15 posts. No, he additionally posted 5 days ago another rumor as follows:
we discussed the rumor about new A750 with new 14.6 MP FF sensor. at russian penta-club. this sensor could be in new FF camera from Pentax too. the price is approx.$1500 and even lower. yes, it's rumor. but who knows...

10-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
yes, it's rumor. but who knows...
Two rumors from one guy? ogl, come on ...

Is there any other source for the Sony rumor?
10-31-2009, 11:18 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I predict fail (at least in the US market) unless it is ridiculously cheap.

Next rumor, please...
10-31-2009, 01:34 PM   #37
RaduA

Two rumors from one guy? ogl, come on ...

Is there any other source for the Sony rumor?
I can fully understand you're bedazzlement, Falk! Of course with 2 rumors this guy is just a poor amateur next to the RUMORIZATOR himself (which is ogl, of course) with a track record of dozens at least. But let's look at the bright side, even if those specs are real and the launch date correct ogl will have enough time to turn against the NX, then pro again, then against once more and so on. The green will be too acid, the red too magenta, the life too harsh and the bartender too slow.

Radu

10-31-2009, 02:00 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
I can fully understand you're bedazzlement, Falk! Of course with 2 rumors this guy is just a poor amateur next to the RUMORIZATOR himself (which is ogl, of course) with a track record of dozens at least. But let's look at the bright side, even if those specs are real and the launch date correct ogl will have enough time to turn against the NX, then pro again, then against once more and so on. The green will be too acid, the red too magenta, the life too harsh and the bartender too slow.

Radu
Nice, haha.

I'll bet ogl knows DSLR - yes, he is good friend of woman I talked to one time somewhere about Pentax FF!
10-31-2009, 10:55 PM   #39
ogl
Banned

This is a RUMOR

Hunting down the original source of this rumor, I am finding user "DSLR" at forum photofan.jp.

Is the latter rumor credible? I don't know. I am very suspicious if a new user posts 2 previously undisclosed spec sheets from two different vendors within just 1 week ...
Sony Alpha A750 - полупрофессиональная полнокадровая зеркалка - Ferra.ru
10-31-2009, 11:06 PM   #40
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is quickly turning into rumour feeding another rumour interspersed with fantasy.
What are we talking about again?
10-31-2009, 11:46 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Samsung NX, Geisel Bundchen, what are we talking about....
11-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Samsung NX Purple Monkey Dishwasher
11-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1. Electronic Viewfinder 1080p/260Hz, 100% coverage, 1X magnification.
It's outstanding.
2. 23.4 x 15.6mm APS-C CMOS 14.6 mega pixels (1.5x)
Much better resolution than 4/3, better colour = bigger pixel, lower noise
3. Audio: Built-in real stereo
4. Shutter: 1/6000, 4.5fps
It's the level of DSLR
5. Main screen: AMOLED 3″, 921.000 dots, 120Hz.
It's really cool.
6. Body sealed against dust and moisture
Is there 4/3 camera with WR?
"Much" better resolution. You know, ignoring the fact that the vertical pixel count is only barely higher and the Panasonic sensors in the m4/3 cameras thus far have consistently scored higher in tests of actual resolving power than the 14.6mp sensors in the K20D and K-7. Not much worse in noise, DR, or color reproduction either.

I don't care about Olympus micro 4/3. EP-1 is really mediocre camera. With IS or without.
Too late. Too poor functional. Too slow. With rather mediocre fixed lens.
Panasonic is more interesting.
Fixed lens? Where? And all this time I was planning on using my E-P1 with the rather excellent Panasonic 20mm pancake... if only I had known.

I try not to be particularly rude on the internet (god knows there's enough hostility floating around) but there's just so much unsubstantiated drivel that goes on about m4/3... you won't find anyone but fringe lunatics claiming that it's the best system you can possibly have and that no one should buy anything else, but is the rational realization that it's a completely legitimate system of photographic tools capable of producing excellent images on par with similarly-priced DSLRs really that hard to come by? There are compromises required to achieve their level of compactness, and the importance of those compromises is down to the individual. Nothing to deride there.

As an aside, the Samsung NX system looks like a nice idea from what's shown so far but my concern is that it's really not any more compact than a DSLR; it'll need some other sort of advantage to differentiate it. If they make a more rangefinder-esque model and a few pancakes I might be more interested; I certainly did love the IQ of my K20D, and I'd love to have it in a pocketable body.
11-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
As an aside, the Samsung NX system looks like a nice idea from what's shown so far but my concern is that it's really not any more compact than a DSLR; it'll need some other sort of advantage to differentiate it. If they make a more rangefinder-esque model and a few pancakes I might be more interested; I certainly did love the IQ of my K20D, and I'd love to have it in a pocketable body.
Well, this is one reason I'm not really mad for the EVIL idea for the sake of the EVIL idea: by the time you put a real sized viewfinder in, you're really not particularly smaller than a compact DSLR, (We're a bit spoiled in Pentax maybe.) I imagine it's easy enough to just make the same camera without a VF, though.

That notion of a folded optical path makes an interesting idea: (Really don't know how they'd do that, but hey) it'd be a bit of a coup to be able to really mount SLR lenses without adding adapters, which also kind of defeat the purpose ove the EVIL thing in a way. Might be a whole different picture, if all of a sudden we were talking about something you could drop Limiteds right onto.
11-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
That notion of a folded optical path makes an interesting idea: (Really don't know how they'd do that, but hey)