Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anybody here Score the K10 yet?

Looks like a couple have said they have on DP. Wondering if anyone here has?

11-18-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
here is what my dealer told me 2 days ago

QuoteQuote:
Hello Randy,

I’m still thinking early to mid December. Call the Barrie store. Have them put an order in the system for you. They may ask for a deposit, but it is refundable if you choose not to take the camera. Otherwise I can’t assure you there will be one to even look at. We’re taking so many orders that we may not have any to sell or display
this bring me down

boy I hope they are wrong
seems like the demand is going to be huge

randy
11-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

called calumet today..they still didnt get any shipment...gonna drop by adorama tomorrow and see if they got any.....(if not i should hear from them soon as I pre-ordered there)

If i have time i might stop by b and h too
11-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
good luck to both of you

11-18-2006, 04:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

been reading the k10 threads in dp. I am so jealous. Im itching for tomorrow. i dont know if I should bring a lens w/ me to work or not.

3 west coast owners so far......none in the east....
11-18-2006, 07:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I was at the local Ritz camera store (today - after reading initial posts on DPReview) and got the big "HUH?" look when I asked about the K10D. I guess I'll look somewhere else. If the next couple of stores cannot even tell me if the will carry the camera or not, I am going to order on line, although I had really planned on buying it locally.
11-19-2006, 08:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I may make a few calls here today to. Even when I did a few weeks ago I got the same HUH Pentax new camera hey K100 right here. I let you knoe if i find any here.

11-19-2006, 11:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Tomorrow!

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Looks like a couple have said they have on DP. Wondering if anyone here has?
Hi Pat!

The dealer where I pre-ordered said that his shipment will arrive tomorrow. I'm so JEALOUS of the results we're seeing from the West Coast today.

Tomorrow the sun will rise from the West!
11-19-2006, 04:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

ok so I did the rounds today...

Calumet and Allkit were closed (at least from when I went by) and B and H was closed when I passed by twice (before and after work)
I did however got to adorama and willoughby's

both of them say that it should be in this week
the sales guy from Adorama said that if it's out in the west already should be here in a few days...

willoughby's was expecting shipment tomorrow..both have my number, and both will call me when it arrives...hopefully tommorrow

as for the grips..they dont know if it's shipping w/ the body/kits...
11-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah . . . I called all the big guys on Sunday and nobady had it or even a date for delivery.
I went to the Pentax site . .. located dealers in Los Angeles and started calling. Found one that had two in stock . . . one was being held for a presale and the other was available . . . just confirmed the next day tracking number . . . should be here tomorrow.
I would suggest just calling stores on the West Coast.
11-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I am tracking mine... its KILLING me
11-20-2006, 11:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I got the K10D!
picked it up from willoughby's (already sold out though)
I am at work now, so i cant even play w/ it. battery is charging so i'll be shooting away soon as I get home...
11-20-2006, 12:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cool Jon, can't wait to get your take on it.
11-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
I got the K10D!
picked it up from willoughby's (already sold out though)
I am at work now, so i cant even play w/ it. battery is charging so i'll be shooting away soon as I get home...
you lucky bugger
the store I deal with still doesn't know what is going on.

can't wait to see the pics you post and a review from you

randy
11-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Picked up my new K10D after tennis yesterday from Samy's in Los Angeles on Fairfax. But then, I ordered and paid for it on September 15th, the day after it was officially announced by Pentax. Also ordered the DA70. At that time, was told by the Pentax reps that the DA70 would be available in middle to late October and the K10D early to mid November. In spite of all the delay talk about the K10D, they only missed their original date by a few days. Still haven't seen the DA70. No word on when.

Charged the battery last night and played with menu setting this morning. Haven't had a chance to shoot anything yet. I want that first image to be something special. But, can give a few initial impressions.

1.) It is a lot heavier than the Ds and K100D (both of which I also have).

2.) It's a lot more 'capable' camera, meaning that it can do a whole lot more than previous models (maybe not the D, of which I have no experience).

3.) Other than the weight, it is very ergonomic and easy to hold. Very much like the Ds. The K100D has a weird sharp edge on the front of the battery grip that is somewhat uncomfortable (compared to the previous Ds). They dumped that 'sharp' ridge on the K10D, and the grip is more like the Ds.

4.) The flash pop-up has a mechanical release, not electrical like the Ds or K100D. The camera can be off (no power) and you can press the flash release button and the flash will pop up. Something to be aware of. An accidental press will pop up the flash, such as if the camera were in a bag of some type.

5.) Some of the commonly used functions have been removed from the menu and placed on buttons. Specifically, the focus point selector is now part of an outer ring around the four-way toggle switch. The metering mode is now a turn lever under the exposure mode selector switch (spot, center-weighted, or matrix), focus mode AF.S, AF.C, or M is now on the front where the AF/MF switch used to be (previous, the AF.S and AF.C were menu options and only AF and MF were on the switch).

6.) An infrared receiver for the wireless remote is now located on the rear of the camera as well as retaining the receiver on the front of the camera. No longer do we need to contort our arm around to the front to trigger the shutter release. Nice touch, Pentax.

7.) a few other cosmetic changes, none of which is really important. Such as, the only thing chrome on the body is the shutter release. All else is black, such as the hot shoe bracket.

8.) The top lcd display is lighted, ala *istD. This is a nice touch that was lacking on all bodies since the D, but has now been restored.

Overall, it will take a few weeks to really get accustomed to the new body. It only took a few minutes to switch from the Ds to the K100D. Will take a lot longer to get used to the K10D.

By the way, I really like that K100D and am definitely keeping it as a backup to the K10D. I'll go ahead and dump the Ds bodies. There is something special about that Shake Reduction. Worth every penny above the cost of a non-Shake Reduction body.