Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2009, 03:37 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I hope negotiations fail and fail quickly.

Pentax has been delayed by Hoya aquisition in the past and this would delay them again. One further delay may be fine. But not an avoidable "we try everything" approach by a camcorder maker to find a future. They cannot be the final destination for the Pentax brand.
Amen, I really hope it's not JVC/Kenwood that gets the Pentax brand. I have a really bad feeling about it.

11-04-2009, 03:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

no story here folks... move along now...

Well this must surely disappoint Pentax news buzzards who are so eager to latch on to news that are detrimental to Pentax.

JVC Kenwood Holdings has issued a press release stating that they did not make any press announcement and that there is no fact to the matter.

http://www.jk-holdings.com/press/2009/11/press_091104_02.pdf
11-04-2009, 03:44 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Hoya did the same:
http://www.hoya.co.jp/japanese/news/latest/20091104.pdf
L.E. Found the English article Did they use an online translator?
http://www.hoya.co.jp/english/news/latest/20091104.pdf
11-04-2009, 03:59 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I have my doubts about JVC buying Pentax cameras from Hoya. It is never a good idea to split a brand and trademark. However, Hoya and JVC may discuss partnership. I believe the Hoya CEO has already hinted that they are seeking alliance and has talks with an electronics giant.

JVC has experience from sensors and camcorder technology. They make fine professional broadcast products. They no knowledge about still imaging, and Pentax has just entered the video world. Seems logic to have them talk to each other, I believe they both could benefit from a partnership or alliance.

Pentax could be a DSLR / video-DSLR only brand, and the p&s compacts could be JVC.

11-04-2009, 04:03 AM   #20

That was some scary reading at first. Glad it was a fake. The first thing JVC would do with Pentax is to change the SD card slot to a VHS slot

/Tommy
11-04-2009, 04:13 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I hope negotiations fail and fail quickly.
Ok, that was quick enough
11-04-2009, 05:00 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Ok, that was quick enough
What're next week's lotto numbers, falcon?

Last edited by lithos; 11-04-2009 at 05:11 AM.
11-04-2009, 05:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
What're next weeks lotto numbers, falcon?
He just has a vodoo doll looking like the Hoya CEO. Won't help for lotto I guess

11-04-2009, 05:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Too early to decide it was fake; nobody's apologizing that they ran off with fake info yet, which means that the reporters that ran the story had some solid intel. There's a good chance that they'll turn around in a few days and make the announcement official.
11-04-2009, 06:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Too early to decide it was fake; nobody's apologizing that they ran off with fake info yet, which means that the reporters that ran the story had some solid intel. There's a good chance that they'll turn around in a few days and make the announcement official.
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me, but JVC is about the last firm on Earth I'd have expected. Look at the markets they're in, and their performance:

Annual Report | IR Reference | JVC KENWOOD Holdings, Inc.
11-04-2009, 06:30 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I wonder what impact any Pentax sale to JVC would have on Pentax's quite close relationship to Sony - eg for its sensors. Would be a pity if that side of things suffered.

Sony and JVC, I understand, are big rivals in a lot of areas, like video. Maybe Sony won't be happy giving a rival like JVC a helping hand to expand into the digicam market.
11-04-2009, 06:51 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Pentax does not have a "close relationship" with Sony. They simply buys sensors from them. And so did Samsung for the GX-serie pre the GX-20. And Samsung has officially said that they are wanting to be a big player and beat Sony. For Sony, I believe Samsung is a toughter challenge than JVC. And yet, Sony was able to sell sensors so Samsung could have them in their GX-1 and GX-10 models.

So if Pentax and JVC forms an alliance, I don't see how this would mean that Pentax no longer is able to buy sensors from Sony..
11-04-2009, 07:48 AM   #28

Mmmmhhh... regardless of the press statements from both Hoya and JVC, this might make sense. And besides, after reading their statements, I can't avoid to remember the old latin sentence:

"Excusatio non petita, accusatio manifesta".

Anyway, going to the meat of this rumour: looking from the outside, it seems to me that the businesses of JVC and Pentax (camera making) are rather complementary, and thus their merging could be a good idea for both companies. JVC is a missing name in the field of photography (despite their excellent reputation in the field of video recording devices), and their expertise in electronics etc would fit Pentax's experience in optics/camera design, etc. So in the long term, this might be good for Pentax users, in the same way that the purchase of Minolta by Sony was good for Minolta users.

We will say what the future holds. In the mean time, Pentax is doing great with the K-7 and the K-x, so I see no reason to worry, whatever the outcome.
11-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
I wonder how Minolta users felt when a big ugly "SONY" ended up on everything. Something like having a windows logo on the desktop for the hard core linux nerds I guess.
I was one of those Minolta users. I felt like a Packer's fan when Favre went to Minnesota. I'm still not quite over it.
11-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #30
Site Supporter

uncertainty

i have a k2k to use now, but wanted to buy a new body this december.

should i hold off until all this quiets down? man i was hoping HoyaTax was it and it should be smooth sailing. now all this. i'm sure the doomsayers are out in full force.