Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
HOYA to sell Pentax

Title says it. JVC Victor/Kenwood joint owned JVC Kenwood Holdings is in negotiations with Hoya to purchase the Pentax/Digital Camera division. Looks like it's pretty much set. Could come to an agreement as early as this month.

News in Japanese:
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/atmoney/news/20091104-OYT1T00674.htm?from=main1

Google translated:
http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww....istory_state0=

Babelfish translated:
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-res&t...rUrl=Translate

Ahh, what the eff, they both suck. Rough translation:

Japan Victor and Kenwood's jointly owned company, JVC Kenwood Holding is in talks with Hoya about purchasing the latter's Digital Camera division known under the "Pentax" brand, it was made clear on the 4th of Nov.

With Victor's technology in the digital video realm, they aim to enter into the digital camera business.

They could reach an agreement as early as this month. JVC Kenwood is currently in negotiations to sell off their music software division. They hope to use the profit on sale to strengthen their imaging hardware business, which they deem as a growing sector.

Victor currently owns 20% o the global video camera market and is the second largest player after Sony's 40%. however, the market is near saturation and declining costs is accelerating. They have made the judgement that by moving into the realm of digital cameras, with many things in common with video cameras, such as lenses and image processing technologies, it would lead them to business expansion.

On the other side, Hoya purchased Pentax in '07, and has succeeded in strengthening their medical equipment areas, such as endoscopes; however the digital camera division shipped only 2 million units in '08, which was not even in the Top 10 within Japan. They plan to back out from digital cameras, which are poor in synergistic effect, and focus their efforts on areas where they have traditionally had strength, such as optical lenses.

Last edited by RawheaD; 11-04-2009 at 01:43 AM.
11-04-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Doesn't sound like too bad a mothercompany for Pentax to have.
11-04-2009, 01:55 AM   #3
Dom

How dose this effect the FF body road map?
11-04-2009, 02:07 AM   #4
Forum Member

omg is that going to affect camera production?

11-04-2009, 02:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hopefully it won't affect it in a bad way, but some radical restructing might be part of the plan.

Better video capabilities is probably something we can look forward to :-)
11-04-2009, 02:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Maybe not so bad. Similar to what happened to Minolta when Sony took over. It's the electronic know-how that is missing Pentax, here it is.
Hopefully they keep the momentum Hoya began to give Pentax and manage to keep the nische of compact and rugged stuff. Not chasing the big two that is.

I hope they are sensible enough to not smack a JVC or Kenwood sticker on the cameras and lenses though. Those brands are low quality car stereos for me
11-04-2009, 02:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dom Quote
How dose this effect the FF body road map?

FF body road map? What FF body road map? If you're talking about the imaginary FF body road map that some forum members have lying around their houses, then JVC/Pentax have no idea about them, and so the effect would be near zero––they remain imaginary

Anyway, seriously, I don't think it has any effect there; JVC/Victor has exactly zero to contribute in that realm.

11-04-2009, 02:19 AM   #8
Forum Member

den prob the cameras in future will have video cam sensors?
11-04-2009, 02:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
I hope they are sensible enough to not smack a JVC or Kenwood sticker on the cameras and lenses though. Those brands are low quality car stereos for me
Hey hey! I'm packing a Kenwood in my pickup and it ROOOCKS!
11-04-2009, 02:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree Kenwood ain't half bad. But even if they were frikkin' McIntosh, I wouldn't want their logo on my Pentax camera
11-04-2009, 02:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

JVC and Kenwood sucks! It will be interesting how Pentax will go with JVC and Kenwood, I always thought they were cheap "Wal-Mart exclusive-like" brands.
11-04-2009, 02:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
I agree Kenwood ain't half bad. But even if they were frikkin' McIntosh, I wouldn't want their logo on my Pentax camera
I wonder how Minolta users felt when a big ugly "SONY" ended up on everything. Something like having a windows logo on the desktop for the hard core linux nerds I guess.
11-04-2009, 03:14 AM   #13
Dom

FF body road map? What FF body road map? If you're talking about the imaginary FF body road map that some forum members have lying around their houses, then JVC/Pentax have no idea about them, and so the effect would be near zero––they remain imaginary

Anyway, seriously, I don't think it has any effect there; JVC/Victor has exactly zero to contribute in that realm.
I'm guessing that you have some inside info that qualify you to comment on this as fact?

The evidence so far would point to a FF in 2010.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/77246-possible-pentax-ff-sensor.html
11-04-2009, 03:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
I wonder how Minolta users felt when a big ugly "SONY" ended up on everything. Something like having a windows logo on the desktop for the hard core linux nerds I guess.
That really sucked, they should have at least kept the Minolta name. That's really sad how Sony just took it and slapped Sony on it. I hope JVC doesn't slap JVC over the Pentax logo.
11-04-2009, 03:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

JVC Victor/Kenwood joint owned JVC Kenwood Holdings is in negotiations with Hoya to purchase the Pentax/Digital Camera division.
I hope negotiations fail and fail quickly.

Pentax has been delayed by Hoya aquisition in the past and this would delay them again. One further delay may be fine. But not an avoidable "we try everything" approach by a camcorder maker to find a future. They cannot be the final destination for the Pentax brand.