Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2009, 12:59 AM   #1

Samsung GX fullframe mirrorless camera system?

Just found this:
“Samsung will announce together NX the new GX system, a mirrorless fullframe system, but it will be release the next year.
Same K mount and lens-film distance, with new obturator system (no electronic shutter), EVF, autofocus system, fullframe sensor and lenses.
A system completely electronic with new design lenses.
Samsung will abandon definitively the reflex cameras and won´t buy Pentax.”

source: Pentax rumors and Samsung rumors

11-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #2
emr

Whoa, if that is true!
11-09-2009, 01:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Whoa, if that is true!
I find strange that the camera would have K bayonet (with the same register distance). If done with a short mount, this camera would be heaven for adapters to use every lens ever made at its original field of view...
11-09-2009, 02:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
I find strange that the camera would have K bayonet (with the same register distance). If done with a short mount, this camera would be heaven for adapters to use every lens ever made at its original field of view...
It's quite clever in that every owner of FF pentax lenses is now able to buy an FF dSLR. This could hurt Pentax if they get it right.

11-09-2009, 02:56 AM   #5
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have info that it's not rumor.
11-09-2009, 03:02 AM   #6

oh boy. here we go again!

In reality,if it's real, it's another stupid move by Samsung. Getting into a system without a lens lineup just for the sake of 'being there'.

What's the betting it still looks like an SLR and has a faux mirror box?

This sounds like garbage, even if it's true.
11-09-2009, 03:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
It's quite clever in that every owner of FF pentax lenses is now able to buy an FF dSLR. This could hurt Pentax if they get it right.
I think it's not so simple. From what I read:

"Same K mount and lens-film distance, with new obturator system (no electronic shutter), EVF, autofocus system, fullframe sensor and lenses.
A system completely electronic with new design lenses"...

...I get that they are using the classic K-mount (free to use) "with new AF sistem" and "completely electronic". I guess that could mean that there will be no KAF contacts, no AF screwdrive shaft, with new electronic contact to power AF and allow talks of camera and lens.

That way, a simple tube-adapter would have allowed same compatibility with Pentax lenses, allowing at the same time the use of other adapter for Leica M and R, Zeiss, Nikon, Canon EOS and FD, Sony/Minolta, Minolta MD, Olympus OM lenses...

11-09-2009, 03:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jptreen Quote
In reality,if it's real, it's another stupid move by Samsung. Getting into a system without a lens lineup just for the sake of 'being there'..
Actually using the K mount sounds like a very smart move, if they start a new mount who is going to buy in? but if they use an existing mount at least there is a lot of k mount compatable lenses out there.. If they have the license already to use the mount fully then why not... If like the post above they just use the classic mount and no lens compatability even with their own rebadged FF lenses (like DFA macros and FA35)..

The stupid part to me is going mirrorless, as I would love FF, but see an EVF as a big disadvantage compared to a possible big FF OVF..

This is all based on the very unlikely assumption it is actually true of course
11-09-2009, 03:45 AM   #9
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samsung has several new back-illuminated sensors for various devices.

GX with new FF sensor will be reality.
But...I doubt that we'll see this sensor in Pentax camera. maybe in cheaper version of Pentax FF

There is sense to launch compact FF mirroless camera (first in the world) with K mount.
Samsung need to make sensors and get the profit.

Last edited by ogl; 11-09-2009 at 04:58 AM.
11-09-2009, 03:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

P.S. who runs this rumour site? almost every article links to RHs blog.. not his site is it.. LOL... not that it had much creditability for me before, but its on a real downward spiral now...
11-09-2009, 04:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

From what I can read in this short article, it looks that only the screw drive motor will be abandonned :

Same K mount and lens-film distance, with new obturator system (no electronic shutter), EVF, autofocus system, fullframe sensor and lenses.
A system completely electronic with new design lenses.

Depending on how you interpret the first sentence, the autofocus system is not necessarly new (SDM only would be smarter)

Anyway, just a rumour, since it's been one year between the anouncement of the NX and we are still waiting for avaibility, I wouldn't be surprised to wait a while for that one...

Anyway, the mirrorless design would allow for very good and fast wide angle lenses as it can be recessing into the chamber.

Regards,
Guillaume
11-09-2009, 04:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote

Depending on how you interpret the first sentence, the autofocus system is not necessarly new (SDM only would be smarter)
Yes, but how many SDM Full Frame lenses there are? From what I have read or seen for myself, just the DA*55/1,4 and the DA*200/2,8 cover really and fully 24x36mm... any other Pentax lens that cover the format should be used manually, so a true K mount or a shortened K-mount with tube would be the same.
11-09-2009, 04:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The current K-mount has mechanical aperture stop down. So a new K-mount that is "fully electronic" means that the mechanical aperture stopping down is removed, this also means that the current Pentax K-mount lenses won't work at other apertures than the widest.
So compatibility with existing K-mount lenses is therefore very limited, if the rumours about a full electronic mount is true.

And I don't see the point in having the same sensor to lens distance when the mirror is gone. This means the system isn't goint to be as compact. I also believe that photographers wants optical viewfinders for 24x36 cameras. They are so much better in low light.
11-09-2009, 04:51 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The current K-mount has mechanical aperture stop down. So a new K-mount that is "fully electronic" means that the mechanical aperture stopping down is removed, this also means that the current Pentax K-mount lenses won't work at other apertures than the widest.
You are wrong. If there is no mechanical coupling to the diaphragm lever of a K-mount lens, then it's always stopped down to the value that's on the diaphragm ring (in older K-mount lenses) or the smallest f/stop (in the case of the newer lenses such as the DA's). So, the older K-mount lenses are perfectly usable while the newer ones are almost unusable (because of the lack of an aperture ring). And that's why I quit buying new lenses: older lenses are so much easier to adapt to newer cameras or cameras of other brands. If I want to switch systems then I don't need to sell my lenses
11-09-2009, 05:31 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would definitely find it hard to believe that they would abandon screw driven lenses. At the same time, a full frame camera would likely require a complete line up release. Whether or not the DA primes are useable on full frame, they would be pretty weak in spots. It might explain why Pentax has been so quiet on the lens front this year, if they are trying to fill an SDM only full frame line up.